Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Savers find - GT All Terra Talera

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Savers find - GT All Terra Talera

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 12:01 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
here's a few better pictures after the first ride.

clearance is a little tight in the frame with these 2.35" tires, but everything fits great!

over all, i'm really happy with this bike! the brakes are terrible, pads are cracked and the cable pinch part on the front is cross threaded, one of the pedals has a bent spindle, and the grips are rock hard - but it'll get me around!

rear shifts fine, but the front is still gummed up. i'm still thinking about going single speed, but i'll leave that decision for a later time.

super glad i didn't pass on this one!

Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 11-14-19, 03:04 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
Rear wheel is off. Either it's not straight in the dropouts, the rear triangle is tweaked, or the rim is not centered between the axle locknuts.

And take that grumpy face thing off -- bad feng shui.
Old 11-14-19, 03:23 PM
t_e_r_r_y

nah, rear wheel isn't off, not sure what you think you're seeing.

i love me some bad feng shui
Old 11-14-19, 03:53 PM
Commando

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Awesome, a few simple parts swapped out and you've completely transformed the bike from a cheap 90's mtb to a kickass all-rounder.

Here's my '92(?) Timberline converted to a coaster braked klunker
Old 11-14-19, 04:56 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts

I used to have a triple triangle GT. I would say late 90's Zaskar LE. It was meant to be use as a commuter, but I needed to get a non suspension fork for it. and then the movers "lost" it
Old 11-14-19, 05:03 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
nah, rear wheel isn't off, not sure what you think you're seeing.
Trick of the light / angle of the photo. Made it look at first like the tire had less clearance on the right seat stay. Took a second look for my brain to make sense of it. Straight indeed, but yeah, that is close. Don't put another coat of paint on that bike....

i love me some bad feng shui
Just have an Alka-Seltzer handy..... Or a Zantac, if you're more 21st-Century.....

Last edited by madpogue; 11-14-19 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 09:01 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
FWIW on my Rock Hopper pick up this summer I could NOT get the rear shifter to work regardless of how much I flushed it so I used a cheap falcon thumbie I had in the parts bin and bingo I had all my gears back. Should work the same for the front if you wanted the multi speed or you could lose the front shifter and FD and go 1 x 7 (8?) or as you said a single speed. Have fun on your GT

not elegant but it works

Last edited by ryansu; 11-14-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 09:11 PM
madpogue 

^^^^ Oh I'd call that elegant. A little ugly and cheap, but definitely _elegant_. That's the beauty of thumbies; such simple, foolproof design. No springs, no pawls.

But I'll bet that front shifter will start responding. Might need some more degreaser flushing is all. All the triggers I've seen, they've never been worn, just sluggish from the "peanut butter" effect of the lubricant.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 11-15-19, 12:50 PM
t_e_r_r_y

the rear shifter is working fine and goes through all the gears, the front will shift between small and middle sprocket, so it's alright for now. I really like the idea of going 1 speed when I can, so I'll leave it be.

brakes really need addressing before I can do some for real rides, so that's next up
Old 11-15-19, 01:08 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I'd love a triple triangle too. I had an OK Shogun years ago but despite the sellers instance it was a 33" standover it was just too small.

While GT's setip is slightly different the triple triangle is often referred to "Hellenic Stays" for Frank Hellenic they builder who first used them.

I am currently looking for a Mixtie with Hellenic stays.
I'm not sure what a mixte would like like with Hellenic stays, but would this be close?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mongoose-Cr...4AAOSw4e1dZbHT
Old 11-15-19, 01:33 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I'm not sure what a mixte would like like with Hellenic stays, but would this be close?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mongoose-Cr...4AAOSw4e1dZbHT
That bike has the same geometry as any other mixte. In effect, every mixte is a "triple triangle" frame. But to me, "hellenic" geometry means one small triangle inscribed into the corner of the main triangle. I can't quite get my head around how this would be possible with a mixte.
Old 11-15-19, 03:02 PM
t_e_r_r_y

​​​​​bianchigirll was just joshin around. i missed that part of her post the first time around until someone else pointed it out.
Old 11-22-19, 02:07 AM
t_e_r_r_y

got some new cantis! they're the wide ones, I hope I don't have foot interference. the stock fronts have a cross threaded cable pinch bolt and all of the pads are rock hard, a couple cracked even, I got these cheap enough that I don't feel too bad spending money on them.
I would have gone to v brakes, but I didn't wanna get new levers too.

got new cables while I was at it. hope it'll actually stop now!

Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 11-22-19, 05:47 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
got some new cantis! they're the wide ones, I hope I don't have foot interference. the stock fronts have a cross threaded cable pinch bolt and all of the pads are rock hard, a couple cracked even, I got these cheap enough that I don't feel too bad spending money on them.
I would have gone to v brakes, but I didn't wanna get new levers too.

got new cables while I was at it. hope it'll actually stop now!
I think those Tektros are the same as what comes with a stock Surly LHT. Good brakes. I hear your lament over the possible v-brake swap. I'm stalled at that point with a couple of my projects as well.
Old 11-22-19, 10:37 AM
t_e_r_r_y

yeaah, Vs are great obviously, and I went that direction with my univega, but that was a build from the frame up so I needed to buy levers anyway.

to keep this easy on the wallet I'm just gonna replace things as needed, so it made sense to stick to cantis. I heard good things about these, and you can get a full set pretty dang cheap if you shop around.
Old 11-22-19, 11:29 AM
madpogue 

^^^^^ They're sharp looking, too, for modern parts. They look appropriate on a bike like yours. Plus, you might still be able to rehab the old ones, maybe find another size for the pinch bolt (in a pinch....).

Also, that rear cable braze-on on the seat tube might not have worked in conjunction with a v-brake noodle. I have a Specialized Crossroads with a similar setup, and opted out of a v-brake swap for that reason.