Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I'm giving up on my Brooks Cambium: a rant and a question.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I'm giving up on my Brooks Cambium: a rant and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Selle Anatomica.. you can get them without the center hole-slot.

[B17, went first, then the seat post, in my case]

Selle Royale of Italy, owns Brooks, the Italians introduced the Fashion... multiple leather colours.

My 75 team pro was made when they only had 1 color a black-brown..

Italy is where they make the Cambium line.. Fizik is another brand of theirs.. (AFAIK)

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-23-17 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 10:52 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Selle Anatomica.. you can get them without the center hole-slot.

[B17, went first, then the seat post, in my case]

Selle Royale of Italy, owns Brooks, the Italians introduced the Fashion... multiple leather colours.

My 75 team pro was made when they only had 1 color a black-brown..

Italy is where they make the Cambium line.. Fizik is another brand of theirs.. (AFAIK)
Do you have the Selle Anatomica with the slot? That one looks appealing. How to they hold up? Durability issues if any? I trust your opinion, Bob.
Old 06-23-17, 10:56 AM
ecnewell 

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should have no trouble selling your saddles. If you'd like to do that here, you can pay a very small annual fee (I think it's $10) for an upgraded membership, which allows you to post to the marketplace.

There is also a saddle swap thread here for exactly this type of situation... it's very possible that someone has a like-new saddle they don't like that would be perfect for you, and many people are eager to try out the C17. Here's a link: https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/164168-saddle-swap.html

Good luck!
Old 06-23-17, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Selle Anatomica? I tried one*, I just did not like it.. my back side got the deciding vote..

my locally used bikes now have Fizik vitesse saddles, so they are OK with rain showers..

I'm not doing much long day rides..

* early on , I chatted back & forth with one of the people who got the company started, he passed on a few years back.

a Davis double guy.. 200 mile day rides, out of Fairfield Cal... raised in NorCal we had places known..

A friend, locally , found the weather resistant leather tanning process had them stretch/ sag more than He liked...
seen they have an alternative leather option, to pick, now..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-24-17 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 11:22 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Please allow me to weigh in.

I've been considering the C17 to replace the SQlabs saddle I purchased for my ECR. I have a B17 that I swap around on a couple of bikes as I'm building and testing them, and that is currently on my ECR at this time. I went through the SQlabs sitbone-fitting process, and that saddle just never felt good, so back with the B17. I originally went with SQlabs because I got duped by their sales hype and their comfort claims. I wanted a non-leather saddle because I didn't want to fuss with it on The Divide. Now it looks like currently I'll be rolling with the B17, but my quest for the waterproof yet comfortable saddle for that bike continues.

Flat saddles seem to do well by me. I am of the opinion, that saddle-maker need to focus on cupping your arse rather than creating bumps for your sitbones to ride upon. Tourers want to ride in their saddles fixed and securely, and not feel like they have to precisely rest their bones upon two padded bumps in order for their rumps not to cry out in pain.

Look at wooden chairs for a moment. Would you rather sit on one that is completely flat, or sit on one that the chairmaker dished-out ever so slightly? Look at an old-timey tractor seat. Farmers rode on those for hours and hours and they were made of metal! Dished out. Cupped. Surely this is what we see when we look at a well broken-in leather saddle. You can see right where the two sitbones rest, and the appropriate amount of sag in the perineum area. Its not rocket science - you'd think that saddle makers would understand this.

If I had the money to invest in a business process, I'd custom-mold every saddle to the individual. I would have them put on a skin-tight pair of nitrile shorts, sit on a saddle-shaped lump of clay, then fire the clay and make a saddle mold from it.
Custom-built saddles might work well but it's probably complicated with different riding styles etc. Some like a fixed sit spot but I like how SQ allows easy fore-aft shift for varying conditions.

Some like a more fixed position but I like how SQ allows one to slide fore-aft as desired with reasonable comfort.l
Old 06-24-17, 12:10 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
your butt was not made in a factory
This is the issue; we can get all the details of the saddle easily enough, but without careful examination of the butt in question, we just don't have most of the relevant information.
Old 06-24-17, 05:04 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

I like talking about this stuff. When you finally do get the right combo for your bike and riding style its like someone flipped a switch. Its like magic.
Old 06-24-17, 05:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
This is the issue; we can get all the details of the saddle easily enough, but without careful examination of the butt in question, we just don't have most of the relevant information.
There are just so many bad jokes/innuendos just waiting to be thought up here, but I am restraining myself.
Old 06-24-17, 05:18 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
You guys are the experts, but I found adjusting the nose on a saddle to be the single most significant most contributing factor for comfort. It seems to be consistently overlooked in these many saddle discussions. I found that a slight raise in the nose kept my rear on the flat surface of the Brook B-17.
Old 06-24-17, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
You guys are the experts, but I found adjusting the nose on a saddle to be the single most significant most contributing factor for comfort. It seems to be consistently overlooked in these many saddle discussions. I found that a slight raise in the nose kept my rear on the flat surface of the Brook B-17.
You may find that comfortable but most people don't. For the vast number of riders, a dead level saddle is best.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-24-17, 10:43 AM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You may find that comfortable but most people don't. For the vast number of riders, a dead level saddle is best.

Would you be able to provide convincing. objective research that would prove your assertion is valid?
Old 06-24-17, 11:36 AM
Lars Honeytoast

Bikes: Univega GEO Light Nine, Fixed gear, Peugeot Verona Trekking bike.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way most saddles are curved, they are meant to be installed with the nose slightly tilted upwards. So you butt gets seated in the middle of the curve and you are not fighting against your own weight on the handle bars, and to put an even amount of pressure down on the center. Enough people come into the shop where I work complaining of comfort issues and one of the first things we do is check if the saddle is flat.

Saddles that should be adjust to a flat level are usually for sportier bike and the such
Old 06-24-17, 12:54 PM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by Lars Honeytoast
The way most saddles are curved, they are meant to be installed with the nose slightly tilted upwards. So you butt gets seated in the middle of the curve and you are not fighting against your own weight on the handle bars, and to put an even amount of pressure down on the center. Enough people come into the shop where I work complaining of comfort issues and one of the first things we do is check if the saddle is flat.

Saddles that should be adjust to a flat level are usually for sportier bike and the such

My bike shop owner is the one who suggested I raise the nose ever so much.
Old 06-24-17, 05:46 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
My bike shop owner is the one who suggested I raise the nose ever so much.
and in any case, there is "raising the nose" a smidge, and there is "raising the nose" more than a smidge.
"Try it, you'll like it" , or not, as the old ad used to say.

but don't listen to anyone else, just listen to your girly or boysy parts, and go from there depending on your bike layout and find what works.
It don't cost nuttin to ride for an hour or two and make little adjustments.

**Do note that the lady in question here has tried various seat positions/adjustments up the ying yang for a while now, so the suggestions are great, but she's been there, done that.
Old 06-25-17, 02:38 AM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have you looked into the Selle SMP TRK?
Old 06-25-17, 05:28 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Has anyone mentioned Rivet saddles? Rivet Cycle Works - Hand Crafted Leather Bicycle Saddles

They look decent.
Old 06-26-17, 06:53 AM
msquared22

Bikes: Salsa Vaya X9

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
**Do note that the lady in question here has tried various seat positions/adjustments up the ying yang for a while now, so the suggestions are great, but she's been there, done that.
Yes, I have! Thank you. I will not be investing anymore time or energy into this damn saddle.
Old 06-26-17, 06:55 AM
msquared22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG
Have you looked into the Selle SMP TRK?
I haven't gone down the Selle SMP road yet, but they're on my list to try if I can't find anything else. I've read some really good things about them. The vast amount of saddles they have confuses me though! So many!
Old 06-26-17, 06:57 AM
msquared22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my experiences so far, the best I can deduce is that I need a saddle that's flat on the top, more T-shaped, wider, and has a generous cut out.
Old 06-26-17, 07:07 AM
msquared22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Has anyone mentioned Rivet saddles? Rivet Cycle Works - Hand Crafted Leather Bicycle Saddles

They look decent.
Oh, and they have an excellent return policy. Looks very interesting...
Old 06-26-17, 08:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Would you be able to provide convincing. objective research that would prove your assertion is valid?
Can you do the same? Almost every article you read on saddle tilt says level is best. Sheldon Brown, as well as others, suggest a level saddle. If there is any tilt to the recommended tilt is 1° to 2° at most. Otherwise you rise pressure and/or chafing on the perineum if the nose is too high or you put pressure on the hands and shoulders while sliding forward if the nose is too low.

A 2° tilt has the nose 0.5mm higher than a flat saddle. It's hardly measurable. A 9° tilt which is now allowed in UCI competition has the nose 2mm (thickness of a dime) higher than a flat saddle. By eyeball, it would be hard to tell if a saddle had a 9° tilt.

Most saddle that I've seen are not curved at all. Brooks saddles aren't. You can put a straight edge on them...I use a level...and the level touches the saddle from nose to tail.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-26-17 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 09:28 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Brooks saddles aren't. You can put a straight edge on them...I use a level...and the level touches the saddle from nose to tail.
Mine, and my daughter's, are curved (Flyer). My wife's is straight. Most likely because our rear ends have different shapes... Differences I'd rather not comment.

I believe I've read somewhere that the centre section of the saddle should be level.
Old 06-26-17, 09:54 AM
Lars Honeytoast

Bikes: Univega GEO Light Nine, Fixed gear, Peugeot Verona Trekking bike.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you do the same? Almost every article you read on saddle tilt says level is best. Sheldon Brown, as well as others, suggest a level saddle. If there is any tilt to the recommended tilt is 1° to 2° at most. Otherwise you rise pressure and/or chafing on the perineum if the nose is too high or you put pressure on the hands and shoulders while sliding forward if the nose is too low.

A 2° tilt has the nose 0.5mm higher than a flat saddle. It's hardly measurable. A 9° tilt which is now allowed in UCI competition has the nose 2mm (thickness of a dime) higher than a flat saddle. By eyeball, it would be hard to tell if a saddle had a 9° tilt.

Most saddle that I've seen are not curved at all. Brooks saddles aren't. You can put a straight edge on them...I use a level...and the level touches the saddle from nose to tail.

Depends on the saddle, like I said before. Some saddles are flat for sporty positions, and most comfort saddles have a curve in them so you sit upright (with correct handle bar position) and put your weight on the "sit bones" and the middle of your butt supports your weight. Ill take a picture of some leaflets that come with some saddles we got in the shop (if there still there) that explain sitting position and saddle tilt. Im not trying to play right or wrong, but saying a "dead level" saddle position is for most people is bad advice.

I hope I can find the square or level tomorrow and we have some brooks saddles in stock, id like to test this out.
Old 06-26-17, 11:19 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Here is a brand new men's C-17. There is a 5/8" dip between nose and tail. Although mine looks level to the eyeball you can see that the nose is slightly down according to the bubble. I'm still tweaking the fit. Any higher and I get complaints from Mr. Johnson and his two friends. It seems to fit me perfectly where it is... absolutely no numbness. Sorry the OP had problems with hers and I hope she finds a solution.

Last edited by BobG; 06-26-17 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 11:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Depends on the saddle, like I said before. Some saddles are flat for sporty positions, and most comfort saddles have a curve in them so you sit upright (with correct handle bar position) and put your weight on the "sit bones" and the middle of your butt supports your weight. Ill take a picture of some leaflets that come with some saddles we got in the shop (if there still there) that explain sitting position and saddle tilt. Im not trying to play right or wrong, but saying a "dead level" saddle position is for most people is bad advice.

I hope I can find the square or level tomorrow and we have some brooks saddles in stock, id like to test this out.
Yup. Depends on the saddle. My two current favorites are both older Lycra covered progressive density foam comfort saddles -- one is a Bell, the other a Terry -- pretty comparable to the currently available Serfas Tailbones.

To be most comfortable and minimize scooting back on bumpy roads, I tilt the noses up slightly, which keeps my sit bones planted on the level rear cushioned area. After getting the angle right, the next step is getting the fore/aft position right so I'm not sitting on the nose. Takes one or two rides along with a multitool to adjust it as needed.

Hopefully this photo of my Univega with the Bell shows the rear part of the saddle where I actually sit is level. The nose appears tilted up slightly, but it just keeps me in place without consciously scooting back on bumpy rides. It's been comfortable for 6-7 months, no complaints from Johnson and the twins.

I don't have a current photo of the similarly set Terry saddle on the Centurion road bike. I've had that bike only three weeks and it's a work in progress. After this weekend's rides I think I've got it dialed in, with just a slight upward nose tilt to level the rear of the saddle, and the right fore/aft position for efficient pedaling. It's been 30+ years since I've ridden a road bike with drop bars so I'll probably continue tweaking as my body gets reacquainted with the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.