Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Life changing moment....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Life changing moment....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 03:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Quick note on the Yakima trunk mount rack. Lube the posts the straps attach to with Pedros Bike Lust or similar product, even petroleum jelly will work. Makes using them a snap!
Old 09-16-13, 04:36 PM
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Went to the ER this morning because I had this bruise on my inner leg that wouldn't go away. I was a little concerned that it was a blood clot. As I was sitting in the exam room in comes Dr. Goldstein. And he says, "Remember me? I was the one who saw you when you came in here after the accident. I saw your name on the chart and said 'I know him. I've got to go see him.'" He than went on to say that I looked really good and that I had done well because "you were in really good shape." (a little plug for cyclings' health benefits) He then described how hard it is for the 'normal' 67 year old to get through the surgery I had had. I told him that he and others had saved my life and gave me back my chance for a normal healthy life and I was deeply grateful. He said he was happy to have helped. Then he sent me for an ultrasound. That proved to be reassuring since there was no blood clot and treatment amounted to Alleve and hot compresses. While I was waiting to be discharged Dr. Winchester came in to give me an update and instructions for home care. He remarked that Dr. Goldstein had told him about me and my original injury. Then he said, "Dr. Goldstein said he was very proud of you."

Tomorrow I go to see the neurosurgeon who did the operation and I'm hopeful that he will let me lose this neck brace and get back to activity.
Good news on all fronts. You're making good progress and the doctors sound like they are doing a good job. I had a hernia surgery last year and the surgeon asked me about my cycling and said I would recover much quicker than the typical patient. I was off the bike a little over 2 weeks and have not looked back.

Hoping for your continued and full recovery.
Old 09-17-13, 12:02 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Outstanding!!
Old 09-17-13, 05:00 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great to get some good news about your recovery Bruce, I'm with the doctors, I am proud of you and how you have stayed strong and positive about this painful period in your life. I hate it when bad things happen to good people, now for a good report from your neurosurgeon today. Stay safe and please keep us posted on your healing and recovery.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-17-13, 11:03 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Best wishes to your continued recovery!

I too cringed reading your 1st post.
Old 09-17-13, 12:11 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Regards, hope you heal just fine.

I use a Kuat Alpha receiver hitch rack. It has the snug feature which allows an internal jam wedge thingee to tighten inside the receiver..works good if I use...a few zip ties as shims. The rack won't wiggle. The best feature is the rack..aluminum and nice and light, about 16 pounds. It's a 2" receiver, not sure if smaller ones have the wedge. Shims can help take out the wiggle, you just have to fiddle around to get the right shim. The Kuat folds up small too.

Once upon a time I used a Thule steel 4 bike rack that was built tough but as such weighed in at perhaps 35-40 pounds? heavy bastard. With 4 Mt. bikes that was like 140+ pounds back there and it was a pain to put on and off and wouldn't fold so storage was another PITA.
Old 09-24-13, 02:04 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Went for x-rays a week ago. The hardware is all intact but bone mending is not quite done yet. I go to see my neurosurgeon on Oct. 1st. He says it's all about the bone healing at this point so I may have more time with this brace. He expects I will be able to start exercising in November. Can;'t wait.
Old 09-24-13, 08:46 AM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Did you ask him about using a stationary bicycle; get a three month gym membership and keep your legs and cardio in some semblance of shape. I hope everything goes well for you.
Old 09-25-13, 10:21 AM
AerobaticDreams

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck on your on-going healing. One thing I didn't see anybody mention was the need to be aware of a possible Traumatic Brain Injury. Based on my own experiences, I find very few ER or other doctors take them into account when somebody has the sort of injury you went through. Be aware of short term memory loss, slight speech problems, reacting to things more emotionally than you usually do, dyslexia, the inability to think clearly in noisy environments and loss of fine motor skills (such as playing a musical instrument). 10 years after breaking my neck in a car wreck, and after the destruction of a marriage and career, I stumbled onto a TV show about the issues I was going through....and until then never realized I had a problem. I am stuck with something called Aphasia. Most people who have had a major stroke and end up being affected by it have this condition, but it can also be caused by a TBI. Here's hoping you don't have any issues like these- but better to know about them than to suffer through how I found out about them for sure!
Old 09-25-13, 02:33 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dang. Just read this. Not sure I want to ride anymore.....
Old 09-25-13, 02:57 PM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hope you're well soon Bruce and your Doctor's reports are positive.
Old 09-25-13, 06:45 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by aRoudy1
Did you ask him about using a stationary bicycle; get a three month gym membership and keep your legs and cardio in some semblance of shape. I hope everything goes well for you.
That's exactly what I asked him. He said to wait until bone healing was complete. I have a great gym membership that costs me $10/mo. I keep it all year but just use it when I can't cycle. I'm hoping to get back in there by Nov.
Old 09-25-13, 09:00 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Bikes: Giant eStance2, raised carbon handlebars , dropper post & Raceface Ride pedals

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Bruce, just found this thread, read thru all that you have been going thru. 1st of all there is life 'on the other side of the mountain' I wish you the best of luck with your recovery. My back injury didn't come from a bike accident, but much of you have gone thru, I have too. What was different for me was when I went to get up one morning and my leg didn't move... I went ut-oh & I'm a professional, I know what ut-oh means. (L4-5 blow out) We ask patients to describe pain on a '1 not worth mentioning to 10 the worst you can imagine and still be alive' I tell my patients I now have a frame of reference for 10. People can be truly amazing, great friends came to help, 9 different guys stepped up to take shifts to keep my practice going. I can remember the 'victory' when I was able to put my own socks on. In increments recovery does come. Your Doc is completely correct about the negative effects of smoking, even 2nd hand smoke,
on healing. The smoke constricts the micro blood vessels that are single cell size, the ones where oxygen and nutrition is delivered to the cells and more importantly taking the metabolic garbage away as the cells repair. So, being old enough to have been thru the 60's....Keep on Keeping on! Andy
Old 09-26-13, 08:42 PM
frisky99

Bikes: Miyata 610 , Schwinn circuit, Bianchi C2C, Quattro Assi , 87 Trek 1500, Felt F1X, Burley duet, LHT and a few more

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes , accidents are often a composite of small individual factors coming together at once and making it hard to defend against them . Our last tandem crash was just one of those . Good luck and hope for a speedy and full recovery .
Old 09-27-13, 01:47 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's exactly what I asked him. He said to wait until bone healing was complete. I have a great gym membership that costs me $10/mo. I keep it all year but just use it when I can't cycle. I'm hoping to get back in there by Nov.
Sounds reasonable, good luck!
Old 09-27-13, 05:07 AM
bruce19

One funny anecdote about my last visit to my neurosurgeon, who is a cyclist himself:

Doc: "Have you done any cycling yet?

Me: "No. I thought I wasn't supposed to do that."

Doc: "You're not."
Old 09-27-13, 05:53 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Sounds like things are progressing well. Simply takes a little longer as on gets older.

One funny anecdote about my last visit to my neurosurgeon, who is a cyclist himself:

Doc: "Have you done any cycling yet?

Me: "No. I thought I wasn't supposed to do that."

Doc: "You're not."
My crash, 2.5 years ago, was not as severe as yours. Upon landing I heard 2 cracks and did the finger/toe check also, C-6 and right clavicle along with some other still lasting issues. Neuro said 8 weeks 24/7 neck brace and should be good to go for biking but not even our indoor recumbent with easy spinning was allowed. 8 weeks later at office visit expecting to get the OK to ride he tells me, "Got some good news and an uh-oh". Good news was the bone healed but bad news was now he was majorly concerned about C5-C6-C7 compression and slippage. 8 more weeks of 24/7 in brace then we'll see. Another visit, looks at scans, says to remove brace, I ask when I can ride, he says, "when you get home".

The event happens quickly, the recovery takes forever.

This too shall pass.
Old 09-27-13, 07:12 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to read that, albeit slower than you desire, you are making good progress. Hang in there. You Will recover.
Old 09-27-13, 07:26 PM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Same here! Wow...story kindof made me sick to read. Take it easy and enjoy the rest period as much as possible.
Yeah me too. It bothers me tremendously when bikers come into the ED with traumatic injuries. Asphalt definitely does not do a body good. Best wishes for speedy recovery. Lp
Old 09-29-13, 05:24 PM
Stopalot

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
July 22,2012 was my life changing moment. Over the handle bars landing on concrete right elbow first. Compound comminuted humerus. 5 hrs. of reconstructive surgery. Bruce, I know what you mean when you say give me a gun pain. Best way to explain it. I am riding again. It will take time and you will still have some bad hours & days but each week there will be more good hours than bad. Hang tough and next year you will ride again. God bless.

Last edited by Stopalot; 10-16-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-29-13, 07:00 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stopalot
July 22,2012 was my life changing moment. Over the handle bars landing on concrete right elbow first. Compound comminuted humerus. 5 hrs. of reconstructive surgery. Bruce, I know what you mean when you say give me a gun pain. Best way to explain it. I am riding again. It will take time and you will still have some bad hours & days but each week there will be more good hours than bad. Hand tough and next year you will ride again. god bless.
I did that to the left one, but at work in October 2010, came to a conclusion, there is nothing Humerous about a broken humerus. They said at the time, they can take out the Ti plates if I want..... I said there will be a winter storm warning in h#ll first.... What was worse though was cracking the other end, this summer....
Old 10-01-13, 11:36 AM
bruce19

Met with my neurosurgeon and gave him the latest x-rays. These were taken 2 weeks ago at 6 weeks out from surgery. He was very pleased with what he saw and has allowed me to dump the brace and get back into activity at the gym. This is a month earlier than he had previously told me. A month from now I can get back on the road. Yahoo! Will celebrate tonight.
Old 10-01-13, 11:49 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great news, enjoy!
Old 10-01-13, 12:04 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad News Indeed!
Old 10-01-13, 01:56 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
............. A month from now I can get back on the road. Yahoo! Will celebrate tonight.
Good news.

Have you at least been riding your motorcycle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.