Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are torque wrenches really necessary?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 08:34 PM
kkapdolee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been getting into doing my own maintenance like drive train cleaning with chains, cassettes, and chainrings off the bike and soaking them in degreaser.

I've changed a few pedals and stems before and am in the process of switching to new cassettes and chainrings.

Is it essential that I follow all the torque specs closely? When I take my bike to LBS, I see the mechanics working on things without a torque wrench. It seems they just go with their feel. They've probably done it so many times that they probably know mostly what parts requires what Nm and how much force to put in their arms by feel.

I did buy a small 1/4" drive torque wrench set that only goes up to 25Nm so I use that for the more delicate parts with low torque specs. For example, my stem indicates not to exceed 4Nm so I torque it slightly below that. The lockring on the cassette however, indicates 40Nm. I don't have a socket bit big enough to fit a lockring tool so I just try to tighten enough without going too tight (just by feel). My crankarm indicates 48-53 Nm but I go up to 25Nm with my torque wrench and then use a regular hex wrench to go some more but I have no idea what actual torque it is ending up.

Are these torque specs all essential to follow and thus a bigger torque wrench necessary? How do you guys work on your bikes?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-15, 08:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Unless your hand has been calibrated, i'd get a torque wrench.

The risk of over torquing and damaging a carbon frame is just not worth it... to me.
Old 12-05-15, 09:12 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
No they are not necessary. More useful for some people than others.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-05-15, 09:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
IMO, not necessary and there's no reason to design and build bikes an a way that they are.

Most of the torque specs published and heeded so strictly, miss the point. Most fasteners on bikes need to be tightened enough to do the job, and n o more. For example, the toque spec given for stem clamp bolts aren't truly relevant to the task. The required torque is more related to the fit and traction between the stem and fork than anything else. Since that varies so much, it's naive to believe that a published torque has any hope of being right.

Torque specs, are useful as guides for mechanics, but with any experience, and willingness to trust your hands, the screw itself will tell you when it's properly tight.

If having a torque wrench makes you more confident, then buy it, but don't consider it a substitute for being aware of what's happening.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-05-15, 09:27 PM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kkapdolee
.......Are these torque specs all essential to follow and thus a bigger torque wrench necessary? How do you guys work on your bikes?

Thanks.
When I started using a 3/8ths drive Snap On torque wrench on my vehicle and torqued all the bolts to spec on the short block, the vacuum at idle increased by five inches.
Old 12-05-15, 09:27 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
I always use a torque wrench on tapered BB's and cassette lockrings.
I learned the hard way that my idea of "tight enough" was not accurate on either of these.
Old 12-05-15, 09:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If you're not a hamfist, no.
Old 12-05-15, 09:38 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've wrenched on all kinds of stuff from bikes to cars to boats and snowmobiles and motorcycles to go karts and lawn mowers to paper converting equipment and GE gas turbine engine. My dad taught Diesel Mechanics at a tech school so every summer brought a new project. I think torque wrenches are valuable tools when you are first getting aquainted with being a mechanic but grow less necessary over time as you get the feel for fasteners. That said I wouldn't assemble an engine without one. One thing some people overlook is the importance of using good quality fasteners that are in good condition and knowing when you can re-use a fastener and when you should throw them away. A bunged up thread can seize a nut on a bolt and give you the torque spec you're looking for without actually doing the clamping work you need the fastener to do.

My favorite bit of advice to give new mechanics is "tighten the bolt until you feel it getting loose again then back off a quarter turn". Of course this is nonsense if you feel it getting loose then you've stripped the threads
Old 12-05-15, 09:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
My understanding is that many of the torque specs are for the screws themselves. Going above the spec risks damage to the threads. People talk about torque specs on their stems and seatpost clamps, etc.. and refer to these ratings as guidelines to avoid damage to the clamped items (ie. the handlebars and seatpost). However the obvious problem with this theory is that the seatpost clamp maker and stem maker, have no idea what model, material or make of item you're going to be clamping -- CF, Alloy, Stainless Steel, and build/wall thickness, etc..

The torque values are to prevent you irreparably damaging the actual threads of the screw/bolt itself.
Old 12-05-15, 09:56 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
I've never used one. However, years ago I learned that I could over-torque bolts enough to strip the threads in cheap aluminum parts. Since then, I have made sure to use only high-end, strongly made parts and I have not had any issues.

My confession is true. I am sure that since that time I have gotten much better at gauging torque when I tighten a bolt, but I still don't use a torque wrench. All that said, I wish I had gotten a small torque wrench ages ago, so that I would not have had to learn all this by trial and error (which means destroying components.)
Old 12-05-15, 10:06 PM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
........what I previously stated..........
Old 12-05-15, 10:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71
My favorite bit of advice to give new mechanics is "tighten the bolt until you feel it getting loose again then back off a quarter turn". Of course this is nonsense if you feel it getting loose then you've stripped the threads
I thought it was "tighten it until it snaps then back it off a 1/4 turn".
Old 12-05-15, 10:23 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2

Well these are both clearly excellent advice! perhaps until it snaps is for course threads and strong materials and until it gets loose again is for fine threads and less robust materials.
Old 12-05-15, 10:35 PM
igosolo

Bikes: '17 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod, '11 Cannondale Supersix, '13 Cannondale CAADX Disc, '13 Trek Superfly, '07 Cannondale System Six

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, get a good ft/lb and in/lb torque wrench and no more guesswork.
Old 12-05-15, 10:37 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lots of beginners over-tighten seatpost bolts and stem bolts, causing irreparable damage to seatposts and forks. If you use the smallest possible wrenches (for minimal leverage) and tend to under-tighten bolts, then maybe you don't need a torque wrench. If you're ham-fisted with lightweight components, then you do need it.
Old 12-05-15, 10:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
I've not put a torque wrench to a bike in my 30 years of maintaining my little stable of bikes. I got my first carbon fiber bars and seatposts in the early '90s, and often run a mix of bolt materials; my two main roadies now have Ti, aluminum and stainless bolts. Never had any troubles.
Old 12-05-15, 10:47 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I got by for decades wrenching on stuff bikes with pliers and adjustable wrench.
Old 12-05-15, 11:52 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you tend to build a bike from scratch, and do most of the work/repairs at home then it could be helpful. Especially with lightweight carbon pieces.

For the standard cyclist, probably not. I just use the Ritchey 5nm tool for adjusting seatpost/stem/steerer tube. Really just piece of mind for me, but I guess it also stops me from over torquing.

Next thing people will craze about is proper torque for a quick-release skewer. It is a carbon part, proper torque must be quantified!
Old 12-05-15, 11:59 PM
rdtindsm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the days of tapered bb spindles, I would occasionally have my left crank fall off. I bought a torque wrench and found that I was only torque to 1/2 the recommended value. Problem solved.

You're not going to get any consistency if you just torque by feel. Different feels depending on handle shape and length.

That said, being ballpark close is close enough; you don't have to be exact. But if you need a torque wrench just be be close, why not use one as a matter of course.
Old 12-06-15, 12:25 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I may be exceeding the Max 16 Nm on my seatpost bolts.
Old 12-06-15, 01:00 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
If you use teeny tiny bolts on your handlebars and CF seatposts then yes.
Old 12-06-15, 01:55 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
i thought it went... "tighten it until just before it snaps then back it off a 1/4 turn". but i'm prepared to be corrected on an international public forum, ...again.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-06-15 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-06-15, 08:42 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by kkapdolee
I've changed a few pedals and stems before and am in the process of switching to new cassettes and chainrings.

Is it essential that I follow all the torque specs closely?
Most don't matter. "snug" with an appropriate length wrench is usually both enough to prevent loosening and not so much you risk breaking anything, with "appropriate length" often what standard hex-keys and combination wrenches are produced in.

Some do, or at least "appropriate length" departs from standard wrenches.

Lots of people (including some bike shop mechanics) don't get crank arms tight enough which can result in them getting loose at which point they move, open the taper they rely on for a press fit, and are ruined.

This still applies to splined cranks which don't have separate pinch bolts - they have a slight taper on the mating surfaces (ISIS used 1 degree) with installation stretching the crank arm until it bottoms against a shoulder on the spindle.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-06-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-06-15, 08:45 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I always use a torque wrench on tapered BB's and cassette lockrings.
I learned the hard way that my idea of "tight enough" was not accurate on either of these.
What happens when you don't get a lock ring tight enough?
Old 12-06-15, 08:48 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
What happens when you don't get a lock ring tight enough?
Somehow, it loosens up until every time you transition from coasting to pedaling, you get a big "Clunk" as you start to pedal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.