Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Miniature Alcohol Bottles Littering Roadways

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 07:41 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

This is just an observation and isn't intended to turn into a "things seen on the road while cycling" thread. Although if it does that's OK. But something I've noticed over the past ten years or so is a lot more miniature airline alcohol bottles ("nips") littering the roads along with all the other litter. This seems to coincide with when they went from being made of glass to plastic. Back when they were made of glass they probably broke when they were tossed from cars and you'd only see the broken glass...if even that. But, it also gives more of an indication as to how much alcohol is being consumed on the roadways...where we're riding.

Dan
Old 06-26-17, 07:46 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I see that here too, usually on routes where blue collar workers drive through in significant numbers. From a friend who owns a convenience store and a liquor store, I hear that many of them regularly stop by first thing in the morning and right after work. They apparently put the liquor into a soft drink they buy at the store, and while driving home they toss the evidence out. This is a daily occurrence and the regulars are many. It is how they get through their day, according to him. Scary to see so many bottles.
Old 06-26-17, 08:24 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
But, it also gives more of an indication as to how much alcohol is being consumed on the roadways...where we're riding.
That's a scary thought to be sure, but texting while driving is pretty bad too. Drivers need to pay attention to driving when behind the wheel, and should certainly not be drinking alcohol!
To drive (pardon the pun) these thoughts home, pull up to any busy four way stop and see who is not paying attention? You might be surprised at how many confused drivers are out there.
Old 06-26-17, 08:33 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
If people could toss them out of airplanes I'm sure they would too.

I don't know which is more disturbing, the fact that they're drinking them while driving or that they have so little respect/regard for the environment. I'll go with the former.
Old 06-26-17, 08:46 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
It's funny how the discarded alcohol containers change as I ride from urban to rural.

If I'm riding in or near the city it's a lot of single beer cans still in the paper bag or lots of broken glass from fifths of spirits. In the suburbs there's barely anything, maybe an airline-sized bottle or two - mostly energy drink cans. Once I get out into the country it's pretty much only cases of beer full of empties or the occasional handle of vodka.

What I really wonder are who are these people that are throwing up all over the road saturday night/sunday morning? I see the evidence at least a dozen times whenever I ride early sunday morning.
Old 06-26-17, 08:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds like a huge waste of money on top of the risk of reckless driving. At a buck apiece for, say, a nip of Southern Comfort, they're spending $35 instead of $20-$25 for the whole regular sized bottle.

That's the kind of nickel and diming false economy that one of my cousin's ex-husbands indulged in that drove them into bankruptcy. Instead of buying a carton of cigarettes at payday he'd buy a pack a day at almost double the cost. On top of that the bank charged them per use of the debit card, regardless of the amount. So he was running up their bank charges ten times or more the amount he'd have paid buying a carton at a time. And no matter how often they ran short of money he never learned, never stopped doing it. He convinced himself he was spending less money because it was only a little at a time, bleeding them dry drop by drop.

I see folks at the corner convenience stores doing even worse, paying a dollar apiece for a single cigarette at a time, or one of those wood, paper and poison things they call "cigarillos".

That's the sort of thing that could drive a person to drink.
Old 06-26-17, 08:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
It's funny how the discarded alcohol containers change as I ride from urban to rural.

If I'm riding in or near the city it's a lot of single beer cans still in the paper bag or lots of broken glass from fifths of spirits. In the suburbs there's barely anything, maybe an airline-sized bottle or two - mostly energy drink cans. Once I get out into the country it's pretty much only cases of beer full of empties or the occasional handle of vodka.

What I really wonder are who are these people that are throwing up all over the road saturday night/sunday morning? I see the evidence at least a dozen times whenever I ride early sunday morning.
Same here. Some popular semi-rural routes for cycling pass a couple of roadhouse districts, lines of biker bars on one section, then a line of stripper joints a few miles later.

Funny thing, I rarely see broken glass littering the roads near the biker bars. They don't junk up the roads they ride one.

But the stripper joint roadsides are so notoriously littered with broken glass it's marked as a warning on Strava segments.

It's a familiar mentality. Stripper joints tend to incite anger. Guys get drunk and hopeful, nothing ever happens, then they get angry because they overpaid for alcohol and go ripping out of the parking lots throwing glass everywhere.

Fortunately, though, it's mostly aluminum cans. And no wonder some of those cans are still full. Those guys drink terrible beer.
Old 06-26-17, 09:41 AM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a new route out of town for a century and encountered miles upon miles of broken glass. Then there was a stretch on the way back where I passed 3 or 4 empty liqour bottles on the side of the road. I didn't get a flat that day, but, pulled 6 shards put of the back tire the next day after it deflated.
I guess I'm not surprised this happens everywhere, but, wow is that alarming/concerning.
Old 06-26-17, 09:53 AM
frisky99

Bikes: Miyata 610 , Schwinn circuit, Bianchi C2C, Quattro Assi , 87 Trek 1500, Felt F1X, Burley duet, LHT and a few more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often see those little 5 hour energy bottles that probably also play into the mix.
Old 06-26-17, 10:05 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I have had Lilliputians get tangled in my spokes. They say they are from an island off the coast of France. They seem to consume mass quantities of alcohol. And these small containers are about all they can physically handle. They're not fooling me though. Their conical shaped heads lead me to believe they are aliens for sure.
Old 06-26-17, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In Austria And Switzerland they seem to take better care of themselves. And keeping the roads tidy.
Old 06-26-17, 11:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
so dumb cuz it's so easy to put the empties in the paper bag they came in & toss the bag in a can when you get out of your car. just now at lunchtime, driving by a gas station, saw someone lighting up a cigarette & throwing the pack wrapper out his window. there's just no accounting for some ppl. how hard is it to pause at the garbage can, remove wrappers & discard properly?
Old 06-26-17, 11:56 AM
big chainring 

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
so dumb cuz it's so easy to put the empties in the paper bag they came in & toss the bag in a can when you get out of your car. just now at lunchtime, driving by a gas station, saw someone lighting up a cigarette & throwing the pack wrapper out his window. there's just no accounting for some ppl. how hard is it to pause at the garbage can, remove wrappers & discard properly?
Cuz we're 'mericans. Gonna do what I want when I want and to hell with everyone else. DJ sez so. Dagnabit!
Old 06-26-17, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Well if the Cops Stop and search your car , as far as the open container citations sending you thru the legal system, go ..

I doubt the tiny bottles of alcohol ,If found open, will be ignored.
Old 06-26-17, 12:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by big chainring
I have had Lilliputians get tangled in my spokes. They say they are from an island off the coast of France. They seem to consume mass quantities of alcohol. And these small containers are about all they can physically handle. They're not fooling me though. Their conical shaped heads lead me to believe they are aliens for sure.
Old 06-26-17, 12:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I wonder if drinking drivers have moved to those single shot bottles as a way around the open container laws.

Consider, if you buy a fifth of Vodka you're legal as long as the bottle is sealed. But if you open it to take a drink, you're now illegal (separately from the issue of BAC) in most states. Obviously you can't consume the entire fifth immediately, and disposing it doesn't make sense, so you're vulnerable to a fine for driving with an open container.

However, if you buy 6 1.5oz. bottles, you're legal to transport them, and can drink them one at a time, disposing the empties as you go, and therefore never be exposed to an open container citation.

Note, this has nothing to do with BAC, one may be below 0.08% (legal) and still illegal with an open container in the car. This is important because in many borderline cases, the open container violation may be the only prosecutable offense.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-26-17, 12:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Well if the Cops Stop and search your car , as far as the open container citations sending you thru the legal system, go ..

The open container law is black and white, unopened containers are not illegal, so it doesn't matter that the officer suspects that you may be drinking them.

Simple explanation, which no one has to even offer is that you're planning a party and buy them for people who may want them rather than what you have in your collection of larger bottles.

By example, I drink Tanqueray Gin, but have a friend who has a preference for Sapphire. He doesn't visit often enough to keep a bottle for him, but I keep 3 1.5oz. bottles on hand for him. I also have a friend, who's not much of a drinker, favoring beer and wine, but he has a very well stocked bar with a large selection of 1.5oz. bottles for his friends.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-26-17, 01:09 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gaelen
I took a new route out of town for a century and encountered miles upon miles of broken glass.
I dunno how bad your area is but I always avoid riding some stretches for a week or two after holidays and rain storms because of all the glass.
Old 06-26-17, 01:34 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I wonder if drinking drivers have moved to those single shot bottles as a way around the open container laws.

Consider, if you buy a fifth of Vodka you're legal as long as the bottle is sealed. But if you open it to take a drink, you're now illegal (separately from the issue of BAC) in most states. Obviously you can't consume the entire fifth immediately, and disposing it doesn't make sense, so you're vulnerable to a fine for driving with an open container.

However, if you buy 6 1.5oz. bottles, you're legal to transport them, and can drink them one at a time, disposing the empties as you go, and therefore never be exposed to an open container citation.

Note, this has nothing to do with BAC, one may be below 0.08% (legal) and still illegal with an open container in the car. This is important because in many borderline cases, the open container violation may be the only prosecutable offense.
oh we got a pro here
Old 06-26-17, 01:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Same here, plus the so called 5 hour energy bottles. So many people are pigs.
Old 06-26-17, 01:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Add to this the Medical Marijauna plastic pill bottles.
Old 06-26-17, 02:11 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Back when they were made of glass they probably broke when they were tossed from cars and you'd only see the broken glass...
Dan
Well glass weighs a lot more dan so they probably traveled further, out of sight into the long grass.
Old 06-26-17, 03:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I see that here too, usually on routes where blue collar workers drive through in significant numbers. From a friend who owns a convenience store and a liquor store, I hear that many of them regularly stop by first thing in the morning and right after work. They apparently put the liquor into a soft drink they buy at the store, and while driving home they toss the evidence out. This is a daily occurrence and the regulars are many. It is how they get through their day, according to him. Scary to see so many bottles.
Yea, it's a blue collar problem. We white collar intelligentsia don't drink and drive.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Sounds like a huge waste of money on top of the risk of reckless driving. At a buck apiece for, say, a nip of Southern Comfort, they're spending $35 instead of $20-$25 for the whole regular sized bottle.

That's the kind of nickel and diming false economy ...
It's not a false economy if it reduces your chance of an open bottle offense. Remember, open bottle applies even if you're not intoxicated. That's the motive, not the purchase cost.

Also, just as a general comment - you probably aren't aware that people often can't afford the economy of buying in bulk (cigarettes, bottle of booze, hell, anything at Sam's Club. That doesn't mean they're stupid, it means they buy what they can afford at the time.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-26-17 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 03:39 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I hear that many of them regularly stop by first thing in the morning and right after work. They apparently put the liquor into a soft drink they buy at the store, and while driving home they toss the evidence out. This is a daily occurrence and the regulars are many. It is how they get through their day, according to him.
Eek!
Old 06-26-17, 03:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

I don't think I've seen any of those little bottles along the road. But, a lot of alcohol related trash, so I've wondered if open container laws actually encourage littering.

With new portable breath tests being available, I would think the open container laws are mostly obsolete now anyway.

Of course, open container laws aren't applying to fast food trash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.