Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Stems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 06:56 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Stems

As a 350 lb. rider, would a LOW degree of stem offset be safer?

HIGH degree of stem offset looks dangerous to me. (see pics)

Old 08-07-20, 07:11 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
First things first - those are seat posts, not stems. Second, the offset is safe.

What you really should be concerned about is which seatpost is necessary to get your bike to fit you correctly. For me my bike fits best with a post with no offset. But everyone and every bike is different.
Old 08-07-20, 01:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Time to get off the pot and on to a saddle
Old 08-07-20, 06:51 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
use the one that gives you the best fit.
Old 08-09-20, 12:35 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Offset is for fitting to the bike.

2 bolt design will be best and easier to adjust angle as needed for the rider.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-09-20, 06:49 AM
taylorgeo

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Offset is for fitting to the bike.

2 bolt design will be best and easier to adjust angle as needed for the rider.
Would you say a 2-bolt is inherently stronger than a 1-bolt? Seems like more expensive MTB's have a 2-bolt with zero or minimal offset.
Old 08-09-20, 10:15 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Would you say a 2-bolt is inherently stronger than a 1-bolt? Seems like more expensive MTB's have a 2-bolt with zero or minimal offset.
Strength depends on the construction of the seat post, some are better than others. I just like the 2-bolt because it is easier to zero in the tilt on the saddle. Just make sure the two bolts are orientated front to back not side to side ( I have seen a seatpost with this design).

Last edited by cyclist2000; 08-09-20 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-11-20, 12:32 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
most single bolt seat post have sent grooves and attempts to clamp down on the grooves, as the grooves wear, more force is needed to tighten. With weight and leverage it's easy to pop out of the grooves and you get some slipping, usually these materials are alum and grooved w/ say 0.020" to .040" deep

2 bolt design with one forward and one behind has now shifted that load on the threads of the usually stainless steel M4 to M6 bolt. Yes it's easier to fine tune angle because you're no longer in the mercy of grooves lining up like above.
The 2 bolt design pull on each other at recommended tq setting and I haven't had a seat slip. Even in the event of crashing, the seat goes sideways but the angle is not askew.

Offset has to do with bike fit (getting the knee placed correctly) or you have a really long femur bone than average. If you need longer than 20-25mm like most offer, your bike frame is too small or If you are long boned in the femur, look at Thomson seatpost but won't be cheap.

Seatpost fits the bottom half, stem length fits the top half, but you can't out fit a wrong size bike.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-11-20, 07:38 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The set rails are generally weaker than the seatpost. I see those bend or break long before the seatpost fails most of the time. In 20 years I have had 2 of the single bolt type fail, the splines stripped out and the saddle would not stay level anymore. I loctite the splines and bolt now once I find a good fit. The only post that I have broken off totally was on my old 1953 Schwinn DX. I have a solid bar inside the seatpost for it now. I have not had a 2 bolt clamp fail.