Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sturmey archer aw hub wheel truing problems

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 09:11 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts

Having the hardest time truing a 3 speed aw hub wheel on original Raleigh steel rim. I've tightened the cones more than I would normally so there isnt any side to side axle play but it just seems every time I "true it" it is off a couple mm after spinning it again. Then I true it again (quarter turns at most ) and the rim just seems to shift again. I will spin it and it will touch a part of the rim, then go several revolutions without touching again.

Am I going crazy?
Old 08-17-20, 09:18 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Having the hardest time truing a 3 speed aw hub wheel on original Raleigh steel rim. I've tightened the cones more than I would normally so there isnt any side to side axle play but it just seems every time I "true it" it is off a couple mm after spinning it again. Then I true it again (quarter turns at most ) and the rim just seems to shift again. I will spin it and it will touch a part of the rim, then go several revolutions without touching again.

Am I going crazy?
Sounds like you may be over tensioning it. Try backing off the tension to bring it true while keeping the tension as even as possible as verified by listening to the tone the spokes make when plucked. Those old steel rims are not very rigid.
Old 08-18-20, 05:27 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Sounds like you may be over tensioning it. Try backing off the tension to bring it true while keeping the tension as even as possible as verified by listening to the tone the spokes make when plucked. Those old steel rims are not very rigid.
I loosed them a turn and they are reading around 15 on my park tension meter, same issue.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 08-18-20, 08:57 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Have you checked the bearings/cones/races of your AW? Unlikely, I'll admit, but uneven bearing ball wear, or pits in cones or hub races could cause the wheel to spin erratically. If I had this problem, and opened the hub up, I'd just replace the bearing balls as a matter of course, even if the cones and races looked fine.