Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

An Interesting Take On Cadences

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 11:17 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

https://cinchcycling.cc/blogs/news/t...ycling-cadence
Old 09-01-20, 11:32 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Decent article. I like TD's training tips on FB. I go slower whenever I try to spin faster than I can. It feels like faster cadence comes after the fitness. It's almost impossible to spin fast like Froome when you don't have the cardiovascular capacity or fitness. Recently I have been experimenting a lot on finding the right power and cadence combos to keep my momentum going when I'm climbing. It takes time and lot of tries
Old 09-01-20, 11:49 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Decent article. I like TD's training tips on FB. I go slower whenever I try to spin faster than I can. It feels like faster cadence comes after the fitness. It's almost impossible to spin fast like Froome when you don't have the cardiovascular capacity or fitness. Recently I have been experimenting a lot on finding the right power and cadence combos to keep my momentum going when I'm climbing. It takes time and lot of tries
Until recently, I was perplexed by Froome's use of such high cadences in attacks and descents. I finally figured out that that's accounted for by his use of Rotor chainrings, which are optimized for high cadences, in contrast to the (unfairly maligned) BioPace rings, which were designed for use by sport touring riders, who, as Shimano's design team astutely determined back in the 1980s, tend to use moderate cadences.

If you're interested in developing the ability to spin fast, riding a fixed-gear bike in hilly terrain will speed up the process, if you live (paraphrasing Mark Twain on the topic of riding bikes).
Old 09-01-20, 11:55 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
very interesting. thx for posting. I'll still spin up climbs, tho.
Old 09-01-20, 12:02 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
This article was written by Tom Danielson, a 15-year professional cyclist in the World Tour and 8th place finisher in the Tour de France.

Should be:

This article was written by Tom Danielson, a two-time busted doper who started doping from the onset of his career and was an awful human being to boot.
This guy is as garbage as Chris Carmichael.