Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Old 09-15-20, 12:52 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm another fan of the 4 seasons. I don't quite get the gatorskin/5000 polarization. They are night and day. the 4 seasons are in the middle in many (not all) respects.
I'm with you. A little more spendy, but worth it. Excel has a Conti sale on those every so often, and that's a good time to snag them.
Old 09-15-20, 12:54 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Never rode anything but 4 Seasons and the 5000 fans are telling me how I'm missing out, as I start to plan replacement tires what would you say are the main differences between the 4 Seasons and the 5000's

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm another fan of the 4 seasons. I don't quite get the gatorskin/5000 polarization. They are night and day. the 4 seasons are in the middle in many (not all) respects.
Old 09-15-20, 12:56 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I've seen so many derogatory comments on these. What are the qualities that they exhibit that are so horrible? Not saying they're good or not, just curious.

I put a 700x28c Gatorskin on rear of my cyclocross bike and a 28 Vittoria Ziffiro IV on the front to turn it into a road bike this year. The Ziffiro was a little more than half the price of the Gator, and has lower rolling resistance in reference charts. My flats are almost always on the rear, so I wanted something tough back there.

I like that the Gator doesn't pick up grit; a quick wipe with a paper towel after a ride to look for cuts or embedded objects and it looks like new. The Ziffiro has enough tread that it picks up enough grit that I have to scrape bad spots with a plastic tool to make sure there's no glass or metal in there.

I realize I'm running inexpensive tires (the Gator is the most expensive tire I've ever bought), but what's so bad about the Gatorskins that they inspire so much hate?
1. They do not have particularly good traction.
2. They do not have bead to bead flat protection to if you ride them on a gravel path, you can get large cuts in the sidewall.
3. They ride like a log.
4. They are far too expensive for an everyday tire.

On the other hand,
1. They are all hell and gone cheaper than the Continental 4 seasons which corrects all of these problems .
2. For a normal street rider you will wear them out before you get a flat. The can still pick up a wire now and again and get a flat.
3. They mount EASILY. Most of these tires around today that are tubeless are so difficult to mount that you have little to no chance of doing it along side of the road.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 09-17-20, 11:16 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I just saw this, and had to add my two cents. Ive rode Gatorskins for many years. First for many years on Fixed bikes in NYC, and currently on my road bike in LA. Yes, their traction in the wet is poor. But so are most thin road bike tires. Why the hell you racing in the rain anyway. Your not Lance so relax.

The point of gatorskins for me, was not to get flats. And OF COURSE there are better performing tires, but let me put it this way. If you have a flat, then Im going faster than you if I dont. End of story.

As far as the 4 seasons, never tried them. But to bash a product solely for the fact that there is a superior product out there doesnt make sense to me. Gatorskins did there job. I NEVER got punctures, only one or two pinch flats. Ride them on a gravel path? Whos riding 23c tires on a gravel path anyway? Like if your looking for a tire that does EVERYTHING better, it doesnt exist. Or it will cost a fortune.

Now, if your an elite level cyclist, thats a different story. You might need to meet a very specific goal. For someone like me, who hits streets all the time, pot holes, glass etc....on pavement, their is no better tire i have ever used.
Old 09-17-20, 11:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay

On the other hand,
1. They are all hell and gone cheaper than the Continental 4 seasons which corrects all of these problems .
I guess it depends where you're shopping. In the US, price difference though is still usually about $8 difference

Old 09-17-20, 01:49 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by oleg232000
The point of gatorskins for me, was not to get flats. And OF COURSE there are better performing tires, but let me put it this way. If you have a flat, then Im going faster than you if I dont. End of story.
Except you're not. Because that's how slow they are. Comparing good tires to gatorskins, and all else the same, in 100 accumulated miles or so, I will go fast enough to get a flat, change the tire, and get going again before you'd catch up and pass.

That's the actual end of the story. Doesn't matter if you're elite or not.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-17-20, 01:53 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Still running 23 Gatorskins on one of my bikes (bought many years ago, no dry rot). In more than a decade, can count only a handful of flats, things like nails going through the sidewall riding at night, etc.

That being said, something like Mr. Tuffy light tire liners and Conti GP4000s give better grip and same, if not better, puncture protection than Gatorskins albeit sort of defeat the purpose of running a racing tire.
Old 09-17-20, 02:56 PM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Except you're not. Because that's how slow they are. Comparing good tires to gatorskins, and all else the same, in 100 accumulated miles or so, I will go fast enough to get a flat, change the tire, and get going again before you'd catch up and pass.

That's the actual end of the story. Doesn't matter if you're elite or not.
Yeah ok. Keep dreaming
Old 09-17-20, 03:10 PM
rubiksoval

Yeah ok. Keep dreaming
Yeah.

What's science, right?
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-17-20, 03:17 PM
oleg232000

Yeah what is science. A bunch of malarkey anyway. Pfffft.

Oh and lets not discount the fact you have to pack, carry and pay for all the parts you would need to replace your tire/tube on the road. So lets see how your crazy little thing called "science" adds the weight, cost and comfort into your equation.

Then Again, whats science, right?
Old 09-17-20, 03:54 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
If you have a flat, then Im going faster than you if I dont.
That's making a lot of assumptions. It certainly can be true, but it depends on the ride in question (for example if the ride is very short) and what the tires are being compared with.

Yeah ok. Keep dreaming
Since you have a lot of confidence on this matter, show us your math. Then we can have a discussion over the relevant details.
Old 09-17-20, 05:40 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Yes, their traction in the wet is poor. But so are most thin road bike tires. Why the hell you racing in the rain anyway. Your not Lance so relax.
I'm happy you think Gatorskins work for you, but don't presume that everyone rides or has the same needs as you. Those of us riding in the Rockies know how quickly rain can come up and how important traction is descending mountains in the wet.

I know English isn't a first language for many here, but maybe take some time to learn the difference between your and you're.
Old 09-17-20, 06:23 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Wow people calm the **** down..it’s only a ******g tire!

Don’t be a dick!
Old 09-17-20, 06:27 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yeah.

What's science, right?
It's that thing you can choose to not believe in and then it doesn't apply to you.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-17-20, 06:38 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc

Don’t be a dick!
You sound like the one that needs to calm down. No one else is swearing here.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-17-20, 08:21 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
That's making a lot of assumptions. It certainly can be true, but it depends on the ride in question (for example if the ride is very short) and what the tires are being compared with.

Since you have a lot of confidence on this matter, show us your math. Then we can have a discussion over the relevant details.
Has anybody linked to a study to support their position pro or con?
Old 09-17-20, 08:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts

Oh and lets not discount the fact you have to pack, carry and pay for all the parts you would need to replace your tire/tube on the road. So lets see how your crazy little thing called "science" adds the weight, cost and comfort into your equation.

I carry 2 tubes, 2 irons and a patch kit. With Gatorskins I might go with just one tube and still carry the rest. I retire tubes at 5 patches. Patches ~25 cents each. So not a whole lot of cost or weight.

I"m tall and light. Not a good combo for tire traction. I don't like crashing. So paying more for grippier tires and spending more time on the side if the road is, for me, far better than a skid and crash on wet leaves, a little oil or sand or whatever.

Science? Intact bodies go a lot faster!

Oh, my tires are Paselas for city riding - not great traction but decent and Vittoria G+ or G2.0. As a bonus, both have very nice suppple sidewalls and very decent rides for the price.

Ben
Old 09-18-20, 01:04 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
If you want a specific study that gets into bicycle performance, "Validation of a Mathematical Model for Road Cycling Power" (Martin, 1998) is a good place to start. This paper basically assembles a theoretical model for performance, and does some on-bicycle power tests, showing that the model predicts the measured power fairly well if reasonable parameters are provided for the bike+rider system.

If I simplify the model a little (combining static and rotating drag coefficients and assuming that the wind velocity is 0), it assumes that force from aerodynamic drag can be modeled as:
.5 * (air density) * CdA * (v^2)
CdA is the aerodynamic drag coefficient of the bike+rider multiplied by the frontal area of the bike+rider. It's basically a number describing the dragginess of the aerodynamic profile. The air density at sea level tends to be around 1.225 kilograms per cubic meter.
To get the power required to overcome that force, we can just multiply the formula by velocity, so:
.5 * (air density) * CdA * (v^3)
As an example, a typical road cyclist might have a CdA somewhere in the ballpark of .32. If they're riding along at 20mph (8.94m/s) on level ground in calm conditions on a mellow day at sea level, we can predict their power loss due to air drag as:
.5 * 1.225 * .32 * (8.94^3) = 140 watts

Force from rolling resistance is assumed to be constant with respect to velocity, but linearly proportional to the load on the tires. So:
9.8 * (mass of the bike+rider system) * Crr
Crr in this case is the "coefficient of rolling resistance", which depends on the tire setup (such as what tires and how they're inflated, although things like rim width and choice of inner tube also play a role). Similar to before, we can multiply by velocity to get the power required to overcome the force:
9.8 * (mass of the bike+rider system) * Crr * v
So for example, if we have an 80kg bike+rider going 20mph (8.94m/s) on tires with a Crr of .004, we get:
9.8 * 80 * .004 * 8.94 = 28 watts

Rolling resistance is a bit more squirrely than air drag. Notably, how many physical phenomena are actually reasonable to encompass under "crr" and the degree to which they're invariant with respect to speed is a little bit fuzzy. But as the paper demonstrates, it's still a *good enough* approximation to do useful things with the model.

Crr is traditionally measured by loading a tire against a surface (usually a steel drum), and observing how much power is required to rotate the tire against that surface at a given speed. The Crr can be inferred from this. Drums aren't roads (and so Crr needs to be adjusted for the shape of the road surface to get precise results), and this also doesn't account for effects relating to the tire's performance as suspension on a given surface, but it's still a useful and repeatedly start for predicting which tires are going to perform better than others, and by approximately how much.

If we go by data measured from bicyclerollingresistance, 25mm Gatorskins have a Crr of .00659 at 80PSI, and 25mm GP5000s have a Crr of .00363 at 80PSI.
Let's go back to the examples earlier, with the 80kg cyclist with a CdA of .32 doing 20mph at 168W. If we swap his tires out to those GP5000s, that total drops to 165W. If we then swap in the Crr for the Gatorskins, how fast will he be going at 165W? It turns out to be about 19.06mph, so nearly 1mph slower.

Now, this is admittedly a very approximate example. There are a few factors I didn't account for, and obviously the Crr values are an extremely rough guess. Consider, though, that we've got two posts in this thread that corroborate that the difference is of this magnitude if not larger.

Anyway, if we assume a difference of around 5% for a 20mph roadie, and compare this to rubik's example of a century ride? That's a 5-hour ride, so 5% would add 15 minutes, which is usually plenty of time to fix a flat.

I don't think that oleg's point about the repair kit makes a very bit dent on this judgement. Partly because I haven't known Gatorskins to be anywhere near tough enough to justify not bringing a repair kit in a situation where you would for a racing tire, and partly because repair kits just aren't that big or heavy. My main pump is 88g; add a tube and tire levers (and perhaps a Park GP-2 for good measure) and I can still be under 200g. Which is peanuts. Like, it takes about 40 seconds for a mere 150W power source to lift a 200g mass by ten thousand feet.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-18-20, 04:06 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I rode gatorskins for years. Then I tried something else, and gave away the last couple new gatorskins I had. It's not that they are bad tires, but I've enjoyed GP4000 and Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires more...the road feel is shockingly different.

If my primary concern was flat resistance I'd go back to gatorskins or sometihng even tougher.
Old 09-18-20, 08:54 AM
rubiksoval

Pay for all the parts? Weight, cost, and comfort?

That's your attempt at doubling down on being wrong?

A tube in my bag is about 100 grams. Comfort doesn't factor into the equation. Not sure why you think there's a cost factor, either. There will be cost regardless of tire choice.

So yeah, you're still wrong. Very.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-18-20, 08:56 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by jay4usc

Don’t be a dick!

Or....

Don't be slow on purpose and then pretend that you're not!
Old 09-18-20, 09:00 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by colnago62
You don't need a study. A calculator can show the impact of various factors, including rolling resistance.

Cycling Physics Calculator
Old 09-18-20, 09:07 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by HTupolev

If we go by data measured from bicyclerollingresistance, 25mm Gatorskins have a Crr of .00659 at 80PSI, and 25mm GP5000s have a Crr of .00363 at 80PSI.
Let's go back to the examples earlier, with the 80kg cyclist with a CdA of .32 doing 20mph at 168W. If we swap his tires out to those GP5000s, that total drops to 165W. If we then swap in the Crr for the Gatorskins, how fast will he be going at 165W? It turns out to be about 19.06mph, so nearly 1mph slower.

Cycling Physics Calculator

Plugging in this data for a 75 kg rider doing 100 miles at an average 200 watts using the above two tires with a CdA of 0.35

The time difference in completing that 100 miles is....

11 minutes and 10 seconds.

For 50 miles:

5 minutes and 35 seconds.

Maybe Oleg can't change his tire in 5 minutes and 35 seconds and that's the cause of his consternation?

Last edited by rubiksoval; 09-18-20 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-18-20, 09:54 AM
oleg232000

Haha this is funny. Anyway, you folks took my words out of context, which usually happens on forums. My entire post admitted that these are not the best tires. That people might have different goals. Duh. But for puncture resistance, in my decade use of Gatorskins, i found them flawless for my needs. In a 100 mile race? um I aint always doing 100 miles. People run out on their bike for a quick 20 miler, and get a flat (which literally happened 2 days ago to someone in the pack i was riding with). And my reply about science was tongue in cheek to rubiksoval, who obviously takes talking to complete strangers WAAAy to seriously. Could have just disagreed, but no he had try to insult me. Really wish we lived next to each other so I could smoke your ass. Then all your talking behind a monitor wont mean jack. Plugging in numbers and all your data malarkey. Go and freaking ride, on a real road, with real people, then I will see how you perform.
Old 09-18-20, 10:55 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Really wish we lived next to each other so I could smoke your ass. Then all your talking behind a monitor wont mean jack. Plugging in numbers and all your data malarkey. Go and freaking ride, on a real road, with real people, then I will see how you perform.
If Newton beat Einstein in a bike race would that mean relativistic physics was wrong?
Likes For asgelle:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.