Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Chicago co-op used parts sale

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 09-23-20, 01:21 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts

My co-op, The Recyclery, is hosting a used parts sale this Saturday. Apparently there will be lots of parts, some of them very nice!

More details here.

Old 09-24-20, 01:16 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Thanks samkl . I hope to swing by.
Old 09-24-20, 01:24 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Any complete bikes?
Old 09-25-20, 03:37 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Er I don’t know about complete bikes. If so, it’ll be very limited selection. We can’t keep bikes on our shelves.
Old 09-26-20, 01:53 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Er I don’t know about complete bikes. If so, it’ll be very limited selection. We can’t keep bikes on our shelves.
I slung a few tires over my shoulder that I'd been meaning to donate and headed over on my Schwinn three-speed. I got there a couple minutes before noon. There were already plenty of people in the sale space. I didn't see any complete bikes, but this most-of-a-Raleigh-Competition followed me home. I bought it mostly for the parts (Brooks B-17, first gen Dura-Ace brakes, TA crank, SunTour barcons, Huret Jubilee front derailleur). Its only blemish appears to be a small dent in the top tube. I haven't any idea what I'll do with it yet.

I also picked up a small assortment of derailleurs (Huret Jubilee rear, Pat 73 Campy NR rear, Simplex Super LJ front). I wonder if the Huret came off the Raleigh?

I thought perhaps the Raleigh was already claimed by someone as it was off to the side, not with the other frames (mostly cheap fixie stuff it seemed). I worked my way around and grabbed the derailleurs, then came back to the Raleigh. It had no price and I didn't have a ton of cash, but I grabbed it and walked over to the cashier. She said, "$100," and had a credit card slider attached to a smartphone, so I grabbed it too.

I left plenty of deals for other people. Stuff I remember: a Pat 81 Campy SR ($50), a third gen Campy Rally ($100), a tubular front wheel with Gipiemme hub and maybe Mavic rim, etc.
Old 09-26-20, 07:08 PM
samkl 

Glad you found good stuff, Skip, and it makes me glad to know the frame is going to a good home. That Jubilee did come off the Raleigh. Someone took it off with the intention to sell it on eBay, which never actually happened.

I seem to remember something strange going on with the fork. Pinholes in the brazing and the steerer tube maybe not inserted into the crown with the utmost care. I’m not a Raleigh expert but I think of that frame when people talk about the era of bikes being built after a pint or four.

I wasn’t involved with the planning—but I showed up at 3 and was surprised by how much good stuff we (still) had. Who knew we had all these cool old parts?