Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning your drivetrain.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cleaning your drivetrain.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 10:38 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That question “...what’s it for?”, does come back to my rhetorical question of “why do it?” I’m an experimentalist and I have a long professional history of developing methods and procedures for chemical processes and chemical analysis. When I develop a procedure or look at someone else’s procedure, I look at all the steps and if there are steps that aren't required for function, I cut them out. If I can replace 4 elaborate steps with a single step, I’ve saved myself time, energy, and money. On the other hand, if someone points out a step that I put into a procedure that is unnecessary, I look at their suggestion and am willing to remove the step if it’s not necessary. I’ll check it first by doing experiments with and without the step while assessing the results. If the results are the same without the step, I’ll remove it.
That would be "Why am I acting like a ******?", Alex.
Old 09-09-20, 02:20 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by diggida
After I did my big clean of my Bike and drive train I used DuPont Chain-Saver, which is wax based. I have limited experience, but it seems to work well. I sprayed it pretty liberally on my chain, chainrings, and gears. How does it compare to the hot wax method?
That DuPont Chain Saver appears to be a decent product, but is significantly different from hot wax.

The DuPont Chain Saver has 3% to 7% paraffin wax, where that is the primary ingredient in hot wax.

The DuPont Chain Saver becomes "dry" after the liquid petroleum carrier evaporates.
Likes For wingless:
Old 09-09-20, 02:51 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
That DuPont Chain Saver appears to be a decent product, but is significantly different from hot wax.

The DuPont Chain Saver has 3% to 7% paraffin wax, where that is the primary ingredient in hot wax.

The DuPont Chain Saver becomes "dry" after the liquid petroleum carrier evaporates.
The Dupont Chain Saver...and other wax based chain lubricants...are only slightly different from hot wax. The carrier solvent in these kinds of lubricants serves to remove the old wax and for the dissolved wax to penetrate into the chain. The solvent does the work of the heat in hot wax. The result, i.e. a dry chain, is the same.

Dupont’s product has a bit less wax than other bicycle products...White Lightning Clean Ride is 20 to 40% wax...but as with most solvent based wax lubricants it is more convenient than hot wax. The chain doesn’t need to be removed from the bike for application.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-14-20, 08:25 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I make my living off of health and safety issues, and I'll tell you not to use gasoline. I'll admit I'm not too concerned with it flammability (its just as flammable as a lot of other solvents), but the real danger is the additives the oil companies have put in their gasoline formulas over the last 40-50 years. While those additives are great for improving engine performance and emission reduction, they are really nasty to breath in or absorb through your skin (most of them burn up in the combustion process or get 'treated' in the catalytic convertor). With plenty of other alternative cleaners on the market, there's no reason to use gasoline. I use a Park clamp-on chain cleaning tool with some diluted Simple Green in it about 1x/month, seems to do a nice job. I might try Pine-Sol since I have a bottle of that around here somewhere (I don't like it for general household cleaning), dishwashing liquid might work, too. If you're really fond of petroleum distillates, try kerosene if its available in your area.
i haven't seen anything cheaper last longer and completely strip a chain of everything , i usually do it outside and obviously do touch it or spill it , just use a glass jar like and old jelly jar or mason jar , so maybe some of these people might not do it right , i simply just use two cans and i only really do it before a race or TT when i feel a completely clean chain matters , other than i use wax lube that just gets added every week !
Old 09-26-20, 11:55 AM
southpier13

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
... Marvel Mystery Oil seems to work for me.
because i had a jug, and it's near the end of my riding season, i wiped down my dirty chain with MMO. then lubed with Parks oil. chain seems to run silent and stay cleaner between attentions (about every week/ 5 rides). next year i'll get a pinpoint oiler for the parks and keep up the routine.
Old 09-26-20, 01:17 PM
natam006

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to this site. Question though is WD 40 a no no in regards to lubricating bike chains?
Old 09-26-20, 01:33 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by natam006
New to this site. Question though is WD 40 a no no in regards to lubricating bike chains?
It is a solvent and rust dissolver and it makes a good chain cleaner but it isn’t for lubing. So yes it is a no no.

I have two favorite lubes, Smoove and Rock n Roll Gold. The latter is the easiest to use, Smoove is trickier.
Old 09-26-20, 04:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by natam006
WD40 = Water Displacer 40th formula

It's not a lubricant.

But WD40 is now a brand and they make multiple different products.
Old 09-26-20, 06:33 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
It is a solvent and rust dissolver and it makes a good chain cleaner but it isn’t for lubing. So yes it is a no no.
Yes to one. Nope to two. And yes to 3. WD-40 does not contain any thing to deal with rust other than a bit of lubricant.

Originally Posted by GlennR
WD40 = Water Displacer 40th formula

It's not a lubricant.
And nope.

WD-40 has the equivalent of mineral spirits in it...about 60%. It also has about 40% of “Petroleum Base Oil”. Once the solvent is evaporated, the oil remains. The oil is a lubricant. It’s a light lubricant meaning that it has a fairly low viscosity but it’s not all that different from Triflow if you let the banana smell (amyl acetate) evaporate. Triflow, as well as just about almost all the oil based lubricants, will flow some just flow faster than others.

WD-40 really isn’t a water displacer either. It completely hydrophilic and will not mix with water. Enough water will lift it off a metal surface and float it away...just like most any oil.

There are better lubricants than WD-40 but it could still be used as a chain lube. It’s messy but so are all oil based lubricants.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-26-20 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 06:41 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
I use automotive grade Simple Green, this stuff cuts grease better than the ordinary stuff. I spray it on the cassette and chain rings, and brush it off. Simple Green corrodes raw aluminum, but will not harm anything which is properly coated or painted. Rinse it off completely with clean water.

For the chain, I use a Park Chain Gang cleaner with Simple Green. I run the chain through it, change the cleaner, run it again, then replace the cleaner with water. I do this several times until the water stops getting murky. Then I run the crank set backwards holding a towel around the chain to get out the excess water. The bike dries overnight, the next day I lube the chain, one link at a time, making sure the oil gets into the rollers.

If I do this every week, it doubles the life of my drive line. Where I live, there is usually a rainy day each week when I cannot ride, so it is a good day to do an hour of bike maintenance. I used to be a bike mechanic in a well-known shop, but I didn't like the job very much. But I do like working on my own bikes.
Old 09-26-20, 07:49 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes to one. Nope to two. And yes to 3. WD-40 does not contain any thing to deal with rust other than a bit of lubricant.

And nope.

WD-40 has the equivalent of mineral spirits in it...about 60%. It also has about 40% of “Petroleum Base Oil”. Once the solvent is evaporated, the oil remains. The oil is a lubricant. It’s a light lubricant meaning that it has a fairly low viscosity but it’s not all that different from Triflow if you let the banana smell (amyl acetate) evaporate. Triflow, as well as just about almost all the oil based lubricants, will flow some just flow faster than others.

WD-40 really isn’t a water displacer either. It completely hydrophilic and will not mix with water. Enough water will lift it off a metal surface and float it away...just like most any oil.

There are better lubricants than WD-40 but it could still be used as a chain lube. It’s messy but so are all oil based lubricants.
Maybe you should apply as the lead chemist for WD40 since you are so technically familiar with the product. It is marketed for a lot of things and it does in fact remove surface rust. This statement is on the website.

To remove surface rust, simply spray it on the rusted surface, leave it for around ten minutes and let it get to work on the surface rust.”

The bottom line with bicycle chains is the waxy products and products with PTFE are your even wax combined with PTFE. Which you can make at home, even in a liquid form with simple rubbing alcohol as the base. No crock pot required.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 09-26-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 07:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Special...49205774&psc=1

Old 09-26-20, 10:46 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Maybe you should apply as the lead chemist for WD40 since you are so technically familiar with the product. It is marketed for a lot of things and it does in fact remove surface rust. This statement is on the website.

To remove surface rust, simply spray it on the rusted surface, leave it for around ten minutes and let it get to work on the surface rust.”
WD-40 makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims. There is nothing...absolutely nothing...in WD-40 that will remove rust. It is oil and solvent. You could drop a “rusted surface” in a swimming pool of the stuff and it would never remove a single crystallite of iron oxide. Iron oxide is difficult to remove with ionic substances.

Now if you put the WD-40 on the rusted surface, let it stand for 10 minutes and then used a steel brush on it, it might remove the rust. But you could remove just as much without the WD-40.

By the way, I am a chemist with decades of experience. I now a whole lot about substances and how to read an MSDS.

The bottom line with bicycle chains is the waxy products and products with PTFE are your even wax combined with PTFE. Which you can make at home, even in a liquid form with simple rubbing alcohol as the base. No crock pot required.
I’m not sure what you are trying to say. Your first sentence needs a bit of editing for clarity. I think you are trying to say that Teflon is needed for bicycle lubricants. I’m not sure that the Teflon in lubricants does much since it is just a particle in suspension. Teflon is inert and doesn’t dissolve in much of anything. And, if you can see the particles, they likely just end up on the surface of the chain since the gap in the chain is only wide enough for very small particles to get through. The oil in most Teflon chain lubricants is doing the work while the Teflon has little effect.

Additionally, there are solubility limits that are based on well known properties. Hard wax is nonpolar. Rubbing alcohol...aka isopropyl alcohol or 2-propanol...is polar (i.e. water soluble). They don’t mix. Hard wax has zero solubility in 2-propanol. It only has limited solubility in mineral spirits.

Old 09-26-20, 10:55 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I used WD-40 on a Cross Country Tour. It worked fine for our needs.

Old 09-26-20, 11:33 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
My buddy turned me onto this CRC Silicone spray. It is rain proof, and will not attract stuff that gums up your chain.

No more pulling the chain and using deadly solvents.

No more weird contraptions that bolt on to to your chain.

It's like heaven on earth.

Worst muck attractors in order of muckdom: Phil Tenacious Oil, WD 40, 90 Wt. Gear Lube, 30 Wt motor oil, transmission fluid,

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-26-20 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 10:52 AM
klasse

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
What I do:
  • Remove chain (use Connex chain link, doesn't matter what kind of chain you use, you don't need a Connex chain)
  • throw the chain and Connex links into an ultrasonic cleaner (around 50-75 bucks on Harbor Freight)
  • remove the wheels (optional)
  • Give her a good spray down with simple green
  • wipe off the main dirt
  • spray your chain rings, then brush them with a metal wire brush
  • metal wire brush also works good for scrubbing the cassette cogs
  • wipe down chain rings with your rag
  • use flat blade screwdriver to clean off the derailleur pulleys
  • wipe down your pads, brakes, chainstay, bottom bracket area, etc....
  • Get your chain out, wipe it down with a clean rag by holding the chain at one end, let it hang then just run the rag down it..do this multiple times.
  • Reinstall your chain, add some fresh lube to it
  • once everything is reinstalled, you can if you want to go the extra mile - rub a clean towel back in forth between the cassette cogs
I don't work for Connex Wipperman just like their product.
Old 09-27-20, 11:33 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
If you ride everyday you need a system that does not take an hour or two everynight. that is why the silicone is great, because junk does not build up in the first place, so you simply run the chain thru a rag and you are done.

ever see those freaks at the self serve car wash? they got that high pressure nozzle going like crazy. well what that does is force water into every light socket on the car.

same with bikes, you do not want to use a pressure washer or a hose. you will be forcing water into bearings (yes, even sealed bearings are not perfect), you will be blowing lube out of your brakes, and many frames have small ventilation holes drilled into the forks and stays, so you will be forcing water into your frame.

so it is best just to use a damp cloth.
Old 09-27-20, 06:52 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
For a final touch after cleaning my bike and drying it I spray Lemon Pledge on a rag and wipe down the frame. Nice and shiny and has a lemony smell
Yep, Lemon Pledge is awesome. Since I use White Lightning, which is wax based, and Pledge has oils to dissolve excess wax, it makes a great chain cleaner as well as polish for the paint. Sure, not as durable as some hard automotive wax, but so much easier and smells great!
Old 09-27-20, 07:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yep, Lemon Pledge is awesome.
Old 09-28-20, 12:18 PM
natam006

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info, thank you so much for that. Really appreciate it
Old 09-28-20, 01:42 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Simple Green should never be used on anything made from aluminum. Like bike parts, for example...
Simple Green disagrees w/you: https://simplegreen.com/cleaning-tip...aces/aluminum/