Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese Wheels 1 Year Review Tubular

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-30-15, 06:09 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With intent of racing in mind, I really wanted to upgrade to a aero wheelset on my bike. Turns out most wheels were way out of budget, and a light weight aluminum didn't really appeal to me. So I ended up with a 50mm set of carbon wheels from cycling-cycling on ebay.

I noticed the Ebay auctions for similar wheels often ended up much cheaper than the "buy it now" price. I bid across many wheels over a month or so, and picked up a 20/24 spoke set for $260 with free shipping from inside the states! They arrived well packed, with carbon specific pads, and a sub 50g set of skewers.

After getting valve extenders, I rode them all the time. Either training over the winter (dry winter), or racing with them I always had them on my bike. Over a year, I managed to put a measly 3500 miles on the wheels and 300,000 ft gain, and I have been pretty happy. That includes nearly 10 races (still cat 5), and about 200 race miles (mainly crits).

Braking: The initial bite is pretty weak, but it is something I got used to quickly. Dry perfomance isn't too much different from my previous aluminum set, other than lacking an initial bite. Wet riding is rather different, takes a second or so to get any braking force at all. Doesn't seem like the wheels shed water quickly. After shedding the water, I was actually surprised by friction generated between the pads and rim. Didn't seem as bad as others described it. But it wasn't extremely heavy rain, and I actually only done about 5 "wet" rides.
EDIT: Forgot to add, front wheel has experienced some major brake fade a handful of times. Mainly from trying to stop from 50 mph on a 15% road.

Weight: Claimed 1320g in the 16/20 spoke set, but my 20/24 spoke set came in at 1440g. I was happy with the weight, just glad they came in under 1500g. Also came with bladed spokes, aero bruh.

Hubs: Minimalist hubs, seem basically generic. I recently had a bike shop replace the rear bearings, as they had gotten very scratchy. Was only about $15 in parts, so a replace at home wouldn't be that expensive. The cassette splines are clearly aluminum, and they have gotten a little notched. Nothing to cause the cassette to get stuck, but there are some marks. I doubt many aluminum splines are much different.

Recently I hit a massive rock with the front wheel, causing a minor chip in the braking surfrace (pictured below). I see myself replacing the front wheel anyways, the 50mm seemed too deep in the cross winds. I am still riding the wheel, but I will be watching for anything that can cause further problems. It it hard to see, but its slightly discolored around it.

Last edited by Bunyanderman; 11-30-15 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 06:16 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Only 1250 posts? Guy is an obvious shill.
Old 11-30-15, 06:51 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ya, that's a lotta shilling, if you know what i mean. and, no offense, a pretty mediocre one at best. could use some work, what with the luke-warm review and all.

and... OT, i know, but i aspire to become a shill some day, how does one go about doing that? and does it pay well? medical? retirement plan?

BTW, i've got a set of carbon no-name tubulars too, that i've been riding for over a year. weight 1kg, braking so-so, home built with inexpensive "circus monkey" hubs and Sapim Laser spokes. if and when i build up another set, i'll be going with similar components. about $400 "out the door".

i like livin' on the "wild" side. i've been using mint flavored dental floss for the last nine months now, too. keeping my fingers crossed, but so far so good.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-30-15 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 08:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I love the idea of super-light wheels but sketchy wet braking ... even though I rarely ride in the rain ... I will stick with aspiring to Vuelta Corsa Lites for now. About the samwe weight and money. I am just not that daring ... you just know those carbon wheels are going to asplode some day.