Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike parts in carry on bag

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 02:15 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts

Will I be able to fly with pedals, a pedal wrench (15MM combination mechanics wrench) , and a mini pump in my carry on bag?
Old 07-20-17, 02:16 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Pack the tools with your bike.

Old 07-20-17, 02:22 PM
Lakerat

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Pack the tools with your bike.
I'm flying to where my bike is.
Old 07-20-17, 02:28 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I doubt that'll fly with you on the plane. In a checked bag for the hold, no problem; but not in carry-on. They'll take it off you and toss it in the bin.

You'd be better off posting your tools to your destination, in advance.
Old 07-20-17, 02:46 PM
Lakerat

Looks like wrenches under 7 inches are allowed as carry on.
Old 07-20-17, 03:30 PM
Noddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakerat
Will I be able to fly with pedals, a pedal wrench (15MM combination mechanics wrench) , and a mini pump in my carry on bag?
Might have been an idea to at least include what country's laws you will be subject to while traveling. You've got someone from Ireland telling you "no" when he has no idea if you have to go by what the TSA says or some other set of rules entirely.
My opinion, worth exactly what you are paying for it, is that you will have no difficulties.
Old 07-20-17, 04:18 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
As a frequent flyer my opinion is that if there is any question at all, put it in checked baggage. There is no consistency to the rules with TSA and even if you show them a document that says XYZ thig is OK to carry on, they will do what they want. I've had things that went through security at a half dozen airports confiscated by another.
Old 07-20-17, 04:30 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Yes, maybe, no, all based solely on what line you pick in security, assuming this is the US.

Stick them in a box and ship them to wherever the bike is. Alternatively, carry the pedals, borrow a wrench, and buy a pump. Pedals should be fine. Wrench and pump are your issues, as both could be considered a weapon. If you are taking a pump, make it as small as possible. Wrench should theoretically be possible, but again, its the luck of the draw on the line you walk throuh.

Last edited by jefnvk; 07-20-17 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 05:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've flown multiple times within the United States with a 15mm combo wrench and a mini pump in my carry on. (The first time was by accident.)

They appreciate it if you take these items out of your bag and place them in the bin along with other items that need to be inspected, such as gels/liquids and and electronics - otherwise, they will need to look for them in your bag. They will measure the tools, so make sure they're under 7 inches!

Here's the wrench that's been flying:
Old 07-20-17, 05:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
There's specific language, which includes "tools" on the not allowed list. So if it looks like a tool they may take it.

The pedals and pump should be OK.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-20-17, 05:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I was bored and decided to look it up. Looks like tools under 7" are still okay

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ng/items/tools
Old 07-20-17, 06:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I was bored and decided to look it up. Looks like tools under 7" are still okay

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ng/items/tools
You need to understand that there are rules and idiots who enforce them. I had a 2mm hex key confiscated and let it go because it wasn't worth arguing about beyond the initially, "really?!"

If you're traveling with the bike in checked baggage anyway, I don't see a reason to make life more complicated by taking some of it as carry-on. But it's your call.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-20-17, 08:19 PM
Lakerat

Originally Posted by Noddy
Might have been an idea to at least include what country's laws you will be subject to while traveling. You've got someone from Ireland telling you "no" when he has no idea if you have to go by what the TSA says or some other set of rules entirely.
My opinion, worth exactly what you are paying for it, is that you will have no difficulties.
Origin and destination are both mainland US. I'm not checking a bag and my bike is already at my destination.
Old 07-21-17, 05:52 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Some travelers print out the current TSA stuff so they can present them to the agent that is causing problems with allowing something in carry on.
Old 07-21-17, 10:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
If the pump is really small, you could fit everything in one box and mail it ahead for $7.50. How much will it cost to replace the pump if TSA tosses it?
Old 07-21-17, 11:51 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My stoker bought a machete when we were in Costa Rica this past February. For the return flight, we put it in a checked bag, even though it wasn't very sharp. No problem!
Old 07-21-17, 01:01 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm with the majority here. Either check it or ship it ahead of time to avoid problems. Get the wrong TSA agent who's having a bad day and wants to throw weight around and he'll confiscate it just because.
Old 07-21-17, 04:58 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
If the tools are under the length limit...you (your bags) still may get searched and questioned regardless if it's in carry-on or checked. Mostly because of the pedals. I did. Clipless pedals are rarely seen by TSA agents so their professional curiosity causes them to take a closer look (but that's what they're trained/paid to do so I'm fine with it). So, pack all that stuff right on top so that it's easily accessible to the TSA agent searching your bag. And, be prepared to expalain what it all is and how it works. But still they're sometimes reluctant to allow it. Now that I think of it...maybe having a picture handy on your phone of the exact pedals on your bike, and the wrench in place, that you can show them will help the cause.

Dan
Old 07-21-17, 06:09 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I carried on chain rings at DIA once. It caused some concern for the x-ray operator. After a brief conference it was suggested that next time I ship ahead or check them.
Old 07-21-17, 06:56 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Origin and destination are both mainland US. I'm not checking a bag and my bike is already at my destination.
Is it worth packing them in a box and checking them in anyway? You can explain at the counter that the box contains tools and you didn't want any confusion with carry-on luggage.
Old 07-22-17, 04:48 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Some travelers print out the current TSA stuff so they can present them to the agent that is causing problems with allowing something in carry on.
Don't try to confuse a TSA agent with the actual rules.

It all comes down to which TSA agent you have to deal with. About a third of them are reasonable people who understand that they're there to screen actual threats. And then there are the rest who are on some power trip just trying to make life miserable for as many poor souls as possible.
Old 07-22-17, 10:04 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Unfortunately the most accurate answer is 'it depends'. If you can afford to get to your destination without something that is not soft and cuddly (and even then 'it still depends') than you can chance it. If you must have it when you arrive, don't try to carry it on. And packing it doesn't guarantee anything either - as a world traveling scuba diver, its a rare trip that I don't find a "We opened your bag for inspection" note in my checked bag when I get to my destination. I've never noticed anything removed, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Old 07-23-17, 04:22 AM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried to travel with a pedal spanner in my carry-on luggage once and they threatened to confiscate, stated it was a weapon. I argued anything could be weapon if you wanted it to be and gave an example of a pen that I could stab someone in the eye with. The airport official didn't like me saying that and was giving me filthy looks. They agreed to let me put the pedal spanner in my checked luggage and all was sweet then.
Old 07-23-17, 04:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You need to understand that there are rules and idiots who enforce them. I had a 2mm hex key confiscated and let it go because it wasn't worth arguing about beyond the initially, "really?!"

If you're traveling with the bike in checked baggage anyway, I don't see a reason to make life more complicated by taking some of it as carry-on. But it's your call.
I had a cheap dollar store eyeglass screwdriver confiscated a few years ago. Total length = 2 inches, blade length = about half an inch.

So cheap, I could have snapped it in half without too much difficulty at all.

But it was deemed a dangerous weapon.
Old 07-23-17, 10:44 AM
Noddy

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I had a cheap dollar store eyeglass screwdriver confiscated a few years ago.
But it was deemed a dangerous weapon.
But my elderly aunt travels internationally with steel knitting needles that I'm guessing are 12" long and never gets hassled at all.

The funniest (stupidest) item that gets confiscated quite frequently? A small rubber bulb sold for photographers to blow dust off their lenses. The manufacturer designed it to look like a rocket ship complete with fins and the TSA frequently flags it as looking like a weapon. Google Giotto Blaster + TSA if you want to read more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.