Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gatorskin vs Hardshell?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gatorskin vs Hardshell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 05:42 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Gatorskin vs Hardshell?

Which one is the most sidewall resistant

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod18800

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod49762
Old 06-21-20, 06:45 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
According to bicyclerollingresistance.com, the Gator Hardshells have more protection, but the also have higher rolling resistance. According to that website, The Conti gp 5000 have a 10 watt rolling resistance, the Gator Hardshells are 19.2. That's a big difference.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 06-21-20, 07:42 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I used both regular Gatorskins and Hardshells. I just ordered another set and ordered the regular. The regular have a better ride feel.

That said, if sidewall resistance was my concern, the Hardshells are more puncture resistant.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-20, 07:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Hardshells have the ride quality of a tire made entirely out of LEGO brick. But they don't get flats. The Hardshell gives up everything in the name of puncture resistance. Be aware.
Old 06-22-20, 05:23 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Thanks for the info
Old 06-22-20, 08:27 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I use Hardshells, but I live in an urban environment that has a good amount of broken glass. It is worth it to me to avoid the aggravation and time loss of changing a flat. If I lived someplace else, I would explore a different tire.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 06-22-20, 08:39 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I've tried both. Don't really like either. I'd rather deal with infrequent punctures than arrive at work feeling like my a**hole got welded shut.

To put it bluntly....
Likes For bargo68:
Old 06-22-20, 11:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I ride tubeless with nice supple, fast tires, and don't get flats.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-29-20, 10:49 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by drisotope
the hardshells have the ride quality of a tire made entirely out of lego brick.
🤣😂🤣
Old 06-30-20, 10:32 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
I've tried both. Don't really like either. I'd rather deal with infrequent punctures than arrive at work feeling like my a**hole got welded shut.

To put it bluntly....

The key word is "infrequent". What is your definition of infrequent as applied to flats ? I use Gatorskins exclusively now. Not the nice ride as with GP5000's for instance but around here with the neglected roads and goatheads I was getting flats at a minimum of every other ride. Some rides I was getting two flats and decided enough is enough................
Old 06-30-20, 11:11 PM
bargo68 

Originally Posted by frogman
The key word is "infrequent". What is your definition of infrequent as applied to flats ? I use Gatorskins exclusively now. Not the nice ride as with GP5000's for instance but around here with the neglected roads and goatheads I was getting flats at a minimum of every other ride. Some rides I was getting two flats and decided enough is enough................
For me, getting 2 flats in a month is frequent. For reference, I usually ride about 150-200 miles a week, using several different bikes. As far as the Gator Skins are concerned, I had 700 x 28 Gator Skins and later Gator Skin Hard Shells on a Cross Check that I commuted on every day for about 3 years. I had them at 80 F and 85 R. Yes, they only flatted a couple times in that time span. I wore the rear tires pretty much to a point of being squared off and the wear markers long gone. I mean, highest marks for durability, but it wasn't until I tried 38mm Panaracer Gravel King slicks that I realized I'd suffered enough. They wear out MUCH faster, though. I think they have a 1000-1200 mile life span. But I've only had 2 punctures in that time and I commute through industrial neighborhoods and even on the side of highway 101 for about 1/2 mile each direction. You should see some of the stuff that winds up on the side of a freeway!
Anyhoo-if you can take the ride, more power to ya! My tuches gave them the hook.
Old 07-01-20, 10:01 AM
frogman

For me, getting 2 flats in a month is frequent. For reference, I usually ride about 150-200 miles a week, using several different bikes. As far as the Gator Skins are concerned, I had 700 x 28 Gator Skins and later Gator Skin Hard Shells on a Cross Check that I commuted on every day for about 3 years. I had them at 80 F and 85 R. Yes, they only flatted a couple times in that time span. I wore the rear tires pretty much to a point of being squared off and the wear markers long gone. I mean, highest marks for durability, but it wasn't until I tried 38mm Panaracer Gravel King slicks that I realized I'd suffered enough. They wear out MUCH faster, though. I think they have a 1000-1200 mile life span. But I've only had 2 punctures in that time and I commute through industrial neighborhoods and even on the side of highway 101 for about 1/2 mile each direction. You should see some of the stuff that winds up on the side of a freeway!
Anyhoo-if you can take the ride, more power to ya! My tuches gave them the hook.

Yeah it is a compromise. Thanks for the info on the Panaracer Gravel Kings. I may give them a try. BTW, I see you have a Surly Cross Check. I am thinking of getting a Cross Check myself. A ride friend has one and I really like it. My wife doesn't understand the need for another bike but my strategy is to get her a new bike too
Old 07-01-20, 10:45 AM
bargo68 

Originally Posted by frogman
Yeah it is a compromise. Thanks for the info on the Panaracer Gravel Kings. I may give them a try. BTW, I see you have a Surly Cross Check. I am thinking of getting a Cross Check myself. A ride friend has one and I really like it. My wife doesn't understand the need for another bike but my strategy is to get her a new bike too
The Cross Check is a great "do-all" bike. I have mine set up with fenders, front and rear racks and a sub-compact cranket (46/30) and wide range cassette (11/34) in back so it will pretty much go anywhere and still have some speed on the flats. The 38mm tires really made it a much more comfortable bike.

Maybe his and hers Cross Checks?

Old 07-01-20, 05:47 PM
frogman

The Cross Check is a great "do-all" bike. I have mine set up with fenders, front and rear racks and a sub-compact cranket (46/30) and wide range cassette (11/34) in back so it will pretty much go anywhere and still have some speed on the flats. The 38mm tires really made it a much more comfortable bike.

Maybe his and hers Cross Checks?

Ha,ha that is a good idea. !
Old 07-01-20, 06:55 PM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I used to be a bike messenger in NYC, riding both a road bike and a fixed gear. Gatorskins were a MUST! Never got a single flat, except for like one or two pinch flats. Never a puncture. Swear by this tire, if your main goal is to avoid flats. Performance i think is acceptable, but they are more slippery on wet surfaces from my experience than regular tires.
Likes For oleg232000:
Old 07-01-20, 08:02 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Even a Hardshell has a bad day. Still a mighty tough tire, and a comparable ride...

Last edited by Archwhorides; 07-02-20 at 06:38 AM.