Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub body exchange - Shimano to Campy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 08:40 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I have this here Campagnolo Vento wheelset. Was preparing to use it on a vintage Bianchi which I put Campy brifters on. 9 speed. Turns out these Campy wheels with a Campy hub actually have a Shimano hub body. That's probably a crime on some level, but, can I swap out this hub body for a Campy one? Easy enough?

Old 08-29-20, 09:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK now, but Campagnolo has made a driver for their freehubs with the Shimano spline pattern on it..
for original parts.. maybe the high end Colorado Bike shops..

It not a crime when you compare the difference in cost between Campagnolo and Shimano-Sram- Sun Race cassettes.

cutting costs , may feel like a crime when you are made redundant..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-29-20 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 10:41 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Campagnolo does make both Campagnolo and Shimano compatible freehubs for those wheels. My son has a pair of those same wheels with a Campagnolo freehub. Changing the freehub is very easy, you simply have to loosen and remove the locknut on the drive side and the freehub body will slide right off.. You hold the axle from turning by holding it with a 5mm hex key inserted into the end of the axle. The drive side locknut is left hand threaded
Old 08-30-20, 09:41 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Campagnolo does make both Campagnolo and Shimano compatible freehubs for those wheels. My son has a pair of those same wheels with a Campagnolo freehub. Changing the freehub is very easy, you simply have to loosen and remove the locknut on the drive side and the freehub body will slide right off.. You hold the axle from turning by holding it with a 5mm hex key inserted into the end of the axle. The drive side locknut is left hand threaded
Well that didn't work. That hub does not have the hex fitting in the axle. I got the hub body off and the 3 prawls went "boing" but I found them. Only the hub body comes off, not the whole axle as you describe. However, my other set of Easton wheels with Velomax hubs has a Campy body which I did remove as you said. See photo. They are completely different. Is there just a campy hub body for a 9 speed which I can just put on the Vento wheels?

Last edited by Jicafold; 08-30-20 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 10:17 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
IDK now, but Campagnolo has made a driver for their freehubs with the Shimano spline pattern on it..
for original parts.. maybe the high end Colorado Bike shops..

It not a crime when you compare the difference in cost between Campagnolo and Shimano-Sram- Sun Race cassettes.
I paid as little as $36 each when I laid in my stock pile of 13-26 10 speed cassettes as insurance against Campagnolo discontinuing that combination now that their least expensive group is 11 speed, like they did with my 13-21 8 cog favorite after the move to 9 cogs.

The $200 all cogs titanium version I set aside to go for my one hour Mt. Diablo Hill Climb jersey wasn't cheap, although that's not out of line with a Dura Ace 7900 cassette weighed down by 5 steel cogs.

Prior to the European retailer export ban, Campagnolo/Shimano/SRAM prices were similar for the same component weights if you didn't insist on sending your local bike shop's children to college.

Affordable parts remain available, but take a bit more searching. That's not a big deal with parts you know will wear out and can have on hand.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-30-20 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 10:20 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
So I have this here Campagnolo Vento wheelset. Was preparing to use it on a vintage Bianchi which I put Campy brifters on. 9 speed. Turns out these Campy wheels with a Campy hub actually have a Shimano hub body. That's probably a crime on some level, but, can I swap out this hub body for a Campy one? Easy enough?
Yes. You need a Fulcrum/Campagnolo freehub for steel axle cartridge bearing hubs. They make a different part for hubs with cup and cone bearings on oversize aluminum axles.

https://www.modernbike.com/campagnol...dard-axle-hubs

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-30-20 at 10:35 AM.