Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What kind of bike

Old 09-21-20, 01:00 PM
Whichbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike

Hello all

Upon some consideration i decided to buy an ebike but through research i found out that most ebikes have weight limit, what a pity.
I called a reputable bike dealer 2km away from me but they only have Flyer speed pedelec for almost 4000 euros which is a no go for me (price that is). I checked out other brands for heavy riders but they are pricey too

* i'm 6"3
* 125-130kg
* Budget 1000 - 2000euros or may be abit more.
* Daily riding: work, all road except forests or actual mountains.
* Longer distances preferable
* Somewhat comfortable
* More hand positions than a MTB.

I have a Cube Aim Disc 29er mtb which still rides nice (i maintain it myself) and has road tires (Schwalbe Big Apples). Yesterday i had my longest ride ever (46km) but as i was pedaling i was itching for more speed. And body felt like it wanted to bend even forward. Since MTB in general have lackluster of hand positions i guess i was tired.
I love being outside and i want to do more than 50km rides instead of 15km which does not even satisfy me.

Which or what kind of bike would u recommend? Gravel? Buy another MTB?
I hope i provided sufficient information.

Thank you.

Last edited by Whichbike; 09-21-20 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 03:32 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Does it need to be an ebike? You'd be able to get some pretty nice gravel bikes for that kind of money, and you don't need the weight of the batteries too.
Giant do bikes that seem to go up to XL sized bikes going up to 6'6. You'd be looking at a Revolt 2 or a Contend.

I picked up a drop-bar road bike last week and moving from MTB I'm finding the variety of hand positions to be much better even if the gear changes take a bit of getting used to. On mine there's a thumb switch to change up a gear, and you move the brake lever in to go down a gear, but it seems to let me drop 2/3 gears at a time which is awesome.
Old 09-23-20, 04:53 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Before you went and spent the money, I think it would be worth your time and money to make a small investment into maybe some bar ends or a new handlebar altogether of the touring kind with many different positions. That would give you a clearer idea of what kind of bike you would want to go to.

To me, it sounds like you'd want either a straight up road bike, or a gravel bike with some skinnier tyres, and keep the MTB as the commuting workhorse.
Old 11-04-20, 06:05 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Whichbike
Hello all

Upon some consideration i decided to buy an ebike but through research i found out that most ebikes have weight limit, what a pity.
I called a reputable bike dealer 2km away from me but they only have Flyer speed pedelec for almost 4000 euros which is a no go for me (price that is). I checked out other brands for heavy riders but they are pricey too

* i'm 6"3
* 125-130kg
* Budget 1000 - 2000euros or may be abit more.
* Daily riding: work, all road except forests or actual mountains.
* Longer distances preferable
* Somewhat comfortable
* More hand positions than a MTB.

I have a Cube Aim Disc 29er mtb which still rides nice (i maintain it myself) and has road tires (Schwalbe Big Apples). Yesterday i had my longest ride ever (46km) but as i was pedaling i was itching for more speed. And body felt like it wanted to bend even forward. Since MTB in general have lackluster of hand positions i guess i was tired.
I love being outside and i want to do more than 50km rides instead of 15km which does not even satisfy me.

Which or what kind of bike would u recommend? Gravel? Buy another MTB?
I hope i provided sufficient information.

Thank you.
What frame size do you want.
Old 12-02-20, 10:26 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
OP long gone?
I would recomend staying with a non ebike, anyway
Some body is always there to take your moneyr offer unsolicited advice.
o