Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

sometimes skinny people need to shut up

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-23-11, 05:07 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

photographer came by today and noticed my Boston Bikes map. asked if I do any biking. I told him that I commute to work on two wheels, about 13 miles each way. he was unimpressed and said something to the effect of "well I do some serious distance riding" and went on for 10-15 minutes about how fast he is and how awesome his Cervelo bike is and so on and so on.

from my body type he clearly assumed I was a newbie. I was getting annoyed with him, so I asked how many miles he does per year. "Around five thousand" he said. I then noted that I did 5k myself this past year.

"But mine are really intense riding, centuries, mountain climbs, etc."

good grief. sometimes skinny people need to shut up.
Old 06-23-11, 05:16 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Define skinny... I am about 215, and most people think I am kind of skinny ( I wear my weight well, no huge gut). But I know what you mean, hear in Mass. some of the thin people can be asses. Remember the Masses are asses...
Old 06-23-11, 05:44 PM
green427

Bikes: GT Fitness series, IBEX Vantage 5500, Raleigh M-80

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like he wanted you to acknowledge that he is awesome and you are not.
Likes For green427:
Old 06-23-11, 05:45 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by green427
Sounds like he wanted you to acknowledge that he is awesome and you are not.
indeed. but I am pretty awesome for my current girth. he seemed pretty shocked that I did as many miles as he did last year
Old 06-23-11, 06:08 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was in a group of blow-hards who were all trying to one up each other.
When it came time for me to introduce myself, I said "I am David, JPD"

The LLB's, MA's, and Phd's all looked a little puzzled but suitably impressed and I was included in further conversation.

Later, one of the quieter guys asked me what JPD stood for. "Just Plain Dave" was my reply.

What a lot of stuffy Aholes.
Likes For skilsaw:
Old 06-23-11, 06:13 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
Tortise and the hare, pal. 5000 miles of intense, long distance just means that you're slacking more days in between.

He's trying to compensate when confronted with the fact that he "only" did as many miles as a rider he deems inferior (by appearance.) He should try and hang with some of my Clydesdale friends fom the Seattle Randonneurs. Let Mr. "Intense Mountain Century" guy see how his ego's doing after a double century and he finds out they're only halfway finished.

Last edited by CliftonGK1; 06-23-11 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-11, 06:17 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Funny stuff. Not specific to just skinnies, though.

On a Sunday club ride, (we do ~25 milers on Sundays), we pulled into our social-respite stop about halfway. Some scraggly looking guy (I would've thought he was homeless) on a bike pulls over next to me & my son. He asks where we came from, I explain. He starts going off on how far he's come, over the mountains, through the woods type stuff. I reply, "You're awesome," and walk away. I didn't see him again.

It's people.
Old 06-23-11, 06:51 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I'll agree that skinny person needed to shut up.
Old 06-23-11, 07:27 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add one more to his resume, punch him in his stomach or throat and introduce him to intense breathing, then say, "This is what it feels like to us big fellas to climb mountains!"
Old 06-23-11, 10:23 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I dunno, I think in this case the big guy needs to shut up! (humor)

Well, that's based on what another poster told me, he commutes and I only do sissy la-la trail rides to the beach so I really don't know what riding is.

So if it's true that commuting requires far more skill than I possess, then maybe it's the big guy telling big fish stories here.
Old 06-23-11, 10:24 PM
jdevarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no surprises. u r too close to Boston, lots of posers there. I know I live in Quincy lol

he has a chainring up his A$%
lol
Old 06-23-11, 11:14 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I was really excited about some of my recent rides and telling a ("skinny") lady at the local club ride about it...she seemed underwhelmed...so next time I kept my accomplishments to myself, and things seemed to go better- so sometimes Clydes need to shut up, too.
Old 06-24-11, 01:39 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The thing is... high intensity in training and riding is where the fitness is.

Likely he did spend less time on the bike for the same miles, but was better off for it than you were with your commuting at the same intensity day in, day out.

Sometimes, it's just best to say: "Good for you, you look good for it". And listening might even learn you something.
Old 06-24-11, 05:00 AM
tiretread

Bikes: Scott G-Zero FX, Surly Long Haul Truker, Specialized and Fuji Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asshats come in all shapes and sizes.
Old 06-24-11, 05:38 AM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just let it slide clyde.
Old 06-24-11, 07:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
So you would have found his braggadociao acceptable if had been fat?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-24-11, 07:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The thing is... high intensity in training and riding is where the fitness is.

Likely he did spend less time on the bike for the same miles, but was better off for it than you were with your commuting at the same intensity day in, day out.

Sometimes, it's just best to say: "Good for you, you look good for it". And listening might even learn you something.
How dare you!
Old 06-24-11, 07:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
...I told him that I commute to work on two wheels, about 13 miles each way. he was unimpressed and said something to the effect of "well I do some serious distance riding" and went on for 10-15 minutes about how fast he is and how awesome his Cervelo bike is and so on and so on.

…"But mine are really intense riding, centuries, mountain climbs, etc."

good grief. sometimes skinny people need to shut up.
mtalinm and I commute similar routes in opposite directions all year round, and we both post to the Northeast Regional Forum thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?,” where cyclists of all abilities post on a congenial and mutually supportive thread, virtually a special interest group. I recently posted about that attitude to the thread, and got a couple nice replies.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi cmolway,

I enjoy reading about your extended rides …

I admire the long and fast rides you and some of the other “top-tier” correspondents describe on this thread, and I humbly relate my rides, mostly to suggest the nice routes I find…Nonetheless, given my busy life situation, I’m very happy with my cycling lifestyle. A thread I once read soon after subscribing to BF advised something like “My 15 mph is to me as your 24 mph is to you.”
Furthermore,

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
…Well, that's based on what another poster told me, he commutes and I only do sissy la-la trail rides to the beach so I really don't know what riding is.

So if it's true that commuting requires far more skill than I possess, then maybe it's the big guy telling big fish stories here.
I once wrote a rejoinder to a Fred thread, criticizing that diparaging term; my Fred Manifesto.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… I thought: certainly there are the roadies, who are indeed “Beautiful People” and are splendid in their spandex and peletons; and there are Freds, kind of clunky but sincere and loveable. But there is IMO, a large segment of noble cyclists, e.g. tourists and commuters who are neither BP’s nor Fred’s, but certainly serious cyclists.

I recalled how politicians in Massachusetts are derided as “hacks.” In a memorable speech to the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth, a former Speaker of the House proclaimed “I am not a hack, you are not a hack, we ought not be treated this way." Similarly, my manifesto is, "I am not a Fred you are not a Fred, we ought not be treated this way". So I propose a new name, currently applied to frequent business travelers—ROAD WARRIORS. I AM A ROAD WARRIOR…

John Gardner once wrote: "An excellent plumber is infinitely more admirable than an incompetent philosopher. The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water.” IMO, the society which exalts roadies and scorns road warriors will have roads only built for cars.
Old 06-24-11, 07:25 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
I was in a group of blow-hards who were all trying to one up each other.
When it came time for me to introduce myself, I said "I am David, JPD"

The LLB's, MA's, and Phd's all looked a little puzzled but suitably impressed and I was included in further conversation.

Later, one of the quieter guys asked me what JPD stood for. "Just Plain Dave" was my reply.

What a lot of stuffy Aholes.
Love it. They all probably wondered what you were saying but too embarassed to be the only one not to know what "JPD" stands for.
Old 06-24-11, 07:58 AM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
At that point, you should have just gone for broke: "Yeah, but I did my miles on a fixed gear full suspension tandem folding recumbent. With no brakes."

Some folks are just like that. All that said, as someone who'll hit 3K this year if he's lucky, good on ya for doing 5K!
Old 06-24-11, 08:03 AM
jmeissner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiretread
Asshats come in all shapes and sizes.
Couldn't have phrased it any better than this.
Old 06-24-11, 09:25 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what this guy is saying is... his bike is just a toy. Not ridden for any practical purpose like picking up groceries or travelling to a daily destination.
Old 06-24-11, 10:20 AM
SeptemberGirl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's one thing to babble on excitedly to another rider, in the same club as you, or who might possibily care, than it is to come up to a total stranger and demean their accomplishments.

So. Rude.

Confession: I live near about 10 mins from the beach, and there are truckloads of skinny, blonde, rich women who don't have to work and own $800 cruisers that they buy exclusively to ride on the boardwalk...convertibles that they only take out on sunny days, you get the picture. Excess. I'm not skinny, blonde, or independently wealthy. So sometimes I just hate on them for all those things. I don't think that makes me a bad person, just human.
Likes For SeptemberGirl:
Old 06-24-11, 10:42 AM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Tortise and the hare, pal. 5000 miles of intense, long distance just means that you're slacking more days in between.

He's trying to compensate when confronted with the fact that he "only" did as many miles as a rider he deems inferior (by appearance.) He should try and hang with some of my Clydesdale friends fom the Seattle Randonneurs. Let Mr. "Intense Mountain Century" guy see how his ego's doing after a double century and he finds out they're only halfway finished.
Your post brings back memories of when I did the Land Rush. San Francisco to Los Angeles in 2 days. I had done the Highland Grand Tour earlier that year and not even a century inbetween that and The Land Rush. I was warned that I would barely be able to get up the second day, let alone ride.

Thing is I was an active Rugby player at the time and 2 day tournaments were still common. It was just like getting up Sunday morning of a Rugby tournament, except that I hadn't been drinking and every single part of my body still worked, some were sore, but all of them worked.
Old 06-24-11, 10:56 AM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling is my number 3 sport. And through good luck more than anything else I have met some pretty good athletes in all 3.

I started as a swimmer. When I was in college at Occidental we placed as high as second nationally. Not any credit to me, I was good enough to pick points at aroung 8th at the confernce meet (This was NAIA, Not even near NCAA division 1). But we had ties to USC and I got an invite to their awards banquet. This was near the peak of swimming at USC and I met several olympians from more than just the US there. I also knew age group US record holders. In Rugby Occidental has put many players on the US national team. We ended up with ties to South Africa and I have toured Australia, New Zealand, England and Wales. Along the way I've met national side players from at least 6 countries and played with and against several. In cycling I have not met as many near the top, but a few. One rider who had competed in the TDF, the defending womens RAAM champion and another woman who was about the 10th best inhte US at the time.

The thing is it has worked out that I've met and chated with those really at teh top from several countries and the most noticable thing is what never happened.

Never, not a single time have I heard a top level athlete say nasty things about those who compete at a lower level or just play, swim or ride for fun. Oh some may be rude to a autograph seeker, but when it comes to others that love their sport the ones I have met have always been supportive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.