Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any other mashers out there?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Any other mashers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 09:50 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by skillasw
I always ride as fast as i can in the hardest gear. The goal is always cruising around inthe 53x12! What?! people think this is wrong? Do they not like going fast and getting fit? i have lots of extra 12t and 13t cogs, so not so worried about wear. Unfortunately, I cant do this as often as I like as i live 100m above everything around me.
So leaving home and riding out you can go really fast. That's great! But can you mash up a 12% grade in 53/12 to get home? That would be tough for me.
Old 09-13-18, 10:08 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
This mirror the way I used to see Armstrong ride in the Tour de France. During the early part of stages, his cadence and speed were identical to the rest of the peloton.

But when he needed to make a move or chase someone down, at that point his cadence would get very high, and he would take care of the situation.

This made me suspect he and his coaches had figured out that a normal cadence really is the most efficient, but for higher intensity efforts, high cadence is the way to go, just save it for for the end of the stage so you don't bonk.
Professional racers likely aren't a good example for "mashing" as depicted in this thread. Do they ever spend time at 50-60 rpm's? You know, where it's supposedly more efficient?
Old 09-13-18, 10:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
So leaving home and riding out you can go really fast. That's great! But can you mash up a 12% grade in 53/12 to get home? That would be tough for me.

I could, but the slope would have to be about 10 feet long!

Seriously, I geared way down for a multi-mile 9% grade, was still on the big ring on my hybrid (48T), though.
Old 09-13-18, 10:18 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Professional racers likely aren't a good example for "mashing" as depicted in this thread. Do they ever spend time at 50-60 rpm's? You know, where it's supposedly more efficient?
Oops. Sounds like I owe someone an apology. Do you have an address where can I send you a card?
Old 09-13-18, 10:19 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I mash, I spin...I'm still slow.
Old 09-13-18, 10:20 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

This is probably not the proper question to ask. If one were doing an endurance race where one could eat whatever one wanted and then had to ride as far as possible, perhaps the low rpm approach would be used. So low rpm and high efficiency might win.

Racers have to get through a course in the least amount of time, usually over a matter of hours. They will trade efficiency for speed. That is, they'd shade towards more power and less efficient to win the race.
Old 09-13-18, 10:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Oops. Sounds like I owe someone an apology. Do you have an address where can I send you a card?
Haha, That's ok, I'm good. I only quoted you because of your reference to racers.

This is probably not the proper question to ask. If one were doing an endurance race where one could eat whatever one wanted and then had to ride as far as possible, perhaps the low rpm approach would be used. So low rpm and high efficiency might win.

Racers have to get through a course in the least amount of time, usually over a matter of hours. They will trade efficiency for speed. That is, they'd shade towards more power and less efficient to win the race.
Several posters have eluded to mashing being more efficient, or even faster. See even the opening post. OP is blowing by others thanks to his high gear.

So the question is valid. Why don't racers mash? Or, why were they even brought up in a mashing thread?

OP (and others) should get an even larger gear and show the pros how it's done.
Old 09-13-18, 10:37 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
TDF riders used to mash back in the 50's, it was the style. And will eventually fall back into fashion again, when some charismatic, self-effacing, but confident 250 lb pizza-eating former Sumo wrestler shocks everyone, and wins the Tour in 2028.

This stuff seems to go in cycles, just like nutrition and health advice. You can never get a straight answer on such topics, just a rehash of the latest conventional wisdom, which later turns out to be wrong.
Old 09-13-18, 10:42 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Probably the best example of masher vs non-masher racing. Pantani vs Armstrong, Alpe D'huez, 2000:

Old 09-13-18, 11:47 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

TDF riders used to mash back in the 50's, it was the style. And will eventually fall back into fashion again, when some charismatic, self-effacing, but confident 250 lb pizza-eating former Sumo wrestler shocks everyone, and wins the Tour in 2028.

This stuff seems to go in cycles, just like nutrition and health advice. You can never get a straight answer on such topics, just a rehash of the latest conventional wisdom, which later turns out to be wrong.
Back in the day, Gino Bartali's doctor suggested smoking to improve performance!
Also, as he aged, his coaches counselled that he do more endurance work. These days, aging riders are encouraged to do strength work I think.
Old 09-13-18, 12:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Haha, That's ok, I'm good. I only quoted you because of your reference to racers.

Several posters have eluded to mashing being more efficient, or even faster. See even the opening post. OP is blowing by others thanks to his high gear.

So the question is valid. Why don't racers mash? Or, why were they even brought up in a mashing thread?

OP (and others) should get an even larger gear and show the pros how it's done.

Eddy Merckx. Dominated the sport. Look him up. It's not THAT long ago.

Look, I never claimed that what I'm doing is faster than pros. I'm just claiming to be faster than >95% of the riders I encounter on the road which, except for my age and the distances I'm riding that fast, really isn't that extraordinary.

Like I said above, even if the fastest grinders are faster than the fastest mashers, it does not logically follow that I will be faster grinding than I am mashing. I may just be better built for one over the other.
Old 09-13-18, 01:09 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Eddy Merckx. Dominated the sport. Look him up. It's not THAT long ago.
Eddy Merckx set his hour record at an average cadence of about 104rpm. He wasn't a masher per se; racing bikes just didn't have very low gears, so racers inevitable used very low cadences on climbs, and it made sense to develop a wide range of pedaling form.
Old 09-13-18, 01:40 PM
skillasw
vintage Bianchiist

Bikes: Bianchis, 84 Superleggera, 86 Giro, 87 SportSx, 87 Campd'Italia, 87 Limited, 88 Proto, 95 TSXChorus, 94 TSX105/DAax, 94 Super Grizzley RC, 94 Genius Record, 06 Pinella Boron, 18 Volpe Avanti, 00 Megapro ST Veloce00 EM Strada OS

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
That would be crazy! I did do a whole summer going up the hills with a 39-21, and built some serious thigh muscles. Of course not the best for the bike or me 39-26 is the comfort rartio. But 53-12 almost all the way to town practicall, about 15km.
Old 09-13-18, 07:51 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Eddy Merckx set his hour record at an average cadence of about 104rpm. He wasn't a masher per se; racing bikes just didn't have very low gears, so racers inevitable used very low cadences on climbs, and it made sense to develop a wide range of pedaling form.
Well, certainly if he did it at 50-60rpm he'd have been more efficient.
Old 09-13-18, 10:21 PM
vincitygialam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My training partner built himself a SS with an insane 54x15 gear. He feels like it's a power builder. I can't argue -- he's a former M40+ state champ and has been on the nationals podium a number of times.
hi
Old 09-14-18, 01:45 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Probably the best example of masher vs non-masher racing. Pantani vs Armstrong, Alpe D'huez, 2000:
I don't see any significant difference in cadence between them here.
Old 09-14-18, 09:19 AM
rgconner

Originally Posted by subgrade
I don't see any significant difference in cadence between them here.
There is, Lance is 110-120, Pantani is 80 to 90.

Ullirch is 70 to 80.

Ullrich vs Lance
Old 09-14-18, 09:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There is, Lance is 110-120, Pantani is 80 to 90.

Ullirch is 70 to 80.

Ullrich vs Lance
https://youtu.be/u5JYbdDRRrw

EPO is amazing, huh?

Armstrong's cadence is not doable without cheating, so relevance?
Old 09-14-18, 09:44 AM
rgconner

EPO is amazing, huh?

Armstrong's cadence is not doable without cheating, so relevance?
Ahem.
Pantani is the one who tested "positive" for EPO, and was banned in 1999.
Jan was found guilty of doping in 2012, retroactive to 2005.

So all their numbers are based on doping, and thus comparable.

Anyway, the drugs likely just enhanced their respective styles, rather than making them possible.
Old 09-14-18, 09:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ahem.
Pantani is the one who tested "positive" for EPO, and was banned in 1999.
Jan was found guilty of doping in 2012, retroactive to 2005.

So all their numbers are based on doping, and thus comparable.

Anyway, the drugs likely just enhanced their respective styles, rather than making them possible.
Nah, I think they really aren't comparable--seems pretty obvious that spinning would be more enhanced by EPO and blood doping than slower cadences. I could be wrong, but I don't think "everyone benefited equally from cheatng" is a valid assumption.

If you're comparing efficiencies of different tactics, the doping era should probably just be ignored.
Old 09-14-18, 10:26 AM
rgconner

Nah, I think they really aren't comparable--seems pretty obvious that spinning would be more enhanced by EPO and blood doping than slower cadences. I could be wrong, but I don't think "everyone benefited equally from cheatng" is a valid assumption.

If you're comparing efficiencies of different tactics, the doping era should probably just be ignored.
Then compare Froome to Quintana if you want a 2018 example.

It is nothing new. There are mashers and dancers in every profession race.

Why don't announcers talk about it more and focus on the bike and the kit?

You can't sell cadence, you can sell kit.
Old 09-14-18, 10:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The pros aren't a great comparison for rec and amateur riders when looking at old youtube videos. The drugs popular and able to be used (illegally) over the years molded the style, at least somewhat.

When it was anabolics and other stuff, it was grinding and mashing and recovery and rebuild at that level physically. EPO and blood doping shifted the emphasis of the engine more towards the heart and lungs. So the Icarus documentary claimed anyway.

As a recreation and amateur racer I tend to spin. I find I can gain/maintain the fitness with my limited time input better if I focus on that part of the engine more than doing "overgeared" workouts. By spin, I mean I do my work at 100+ rpm.
Old 09-14-18, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Then compare Froome to Quintana if you want a 2018 example.

It is nothing new. There are mashers and dancers in every profession race.

Why don't announcers talk about it more and focus on the bike and the kit?

You can't sell cadence, you can sell kit.
Totally agree. Also, I think the small N of riders at that level means that it will only take one guy to break the mold again and raise the prestige of mashing.

Why talk about cadence when you can have a really long video piece about Team Sky's portable washing machines? Yeah, that happened.
Old 09-14-18, 11:40 AM
rgconner

Why talk about cadence when you can have a really long video piece about Team Sky's portable washing machines? Yeah, that happened.
When Phil Ligget says you are "Digging deep into his suitcase of courage" what you find better damn well be CLEAN!
Old 09-14-18, 01:42 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I use most, if not all of my gears on my road bikes... so I'm an anti-masher. Shimano 105, 11-speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.