Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Bay Area - Peninsula cyclists - Is Ralston safe?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 03:24 PM
Tranquil Ape

Bikes: mainly road bikes atm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning to ride up to caņada road this weekend and take ralston back down to Old County Road but the upper half(?) of Ralston looks like it could be a little sketchy. Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-16, 08:58 PM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I've only done it once, but I'm a chicken so I rode on the sidewalk, not directly on Ralston. The sidewalk path then diverts further away from Ralston up the slope, so that felt pretty safe. I made my way from where the path ends at the parking lot on Ralston, to Hallmark where I turned right to make my way to Club Drive (my start/end was Carlmont High School); Club is really steep but I much preferred that descent to the traffic on Ralston. I have seen people descending Ralston with the traffic, but I'm a much more cautious descender.
Old 07-26-16, 07:33 PM
shotwellian

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
The upper half of Ralston is a bit high stress, especially if you're not used to riding in traffic. You can avoid it by taking the Lake Road Trail (accessed via Hallmark Drive) through Water Dog Lake Park, which is a smooth, well-maintained and scenic dirt road, easy even on skinny tires. The bottom of Lake Road is at Lyall Way, which connects to Ralston right before the bike lanes start at Alameda de las Pulgas.
Old 07-27-16, 12:12 PM
Tranquil Ape

Bikes: mainly road bikes atm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks; appreciate the info. Not sure if I am going to do it this weekend or in a few weeks. I may just ride up alameda / san carlos to ralston and then down. that portion seems fine, it looks/sounds like the upper half is the sketchy part.
Old 07-29-16, 04:25 PM
drew935
Riding around

Bikes: Ibis Hakkalugi, Electra Townie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, I would ride the sidewalk up or down Ralston if I did it. Going up it may not be a big deal but going down it may be.
It's a heck of a climb though after passing Carlmont which I'm contemplating. I live close to 101 off Ralston.
Old 08-20-16, 09:55 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I'm from Massachusetts and staying in Sunnyvale for a few weeks. I rode Caņada it's full length from whisky hill, took the Ralston bike path over the freeway. I took a left onto Ralston to get to Crystal springs rd. I felt fine the whole distance.
Old 08-21-16, 06:43 PM
drew935
Riding around

Bikes: Ibis Hakkalugi, Electra Townie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I'm from Massachusetts and staying in Sunnyvale for a few weeks. I rode Caņada it's full length from whisky hill, took the Ralston bike path over the freeway. I took a left onto Ralston to get to Crystal springs rd. I felt fine the whole distance.
Oh good to know.
Off topic - My wife's from Worcester. Love Bertucci's, yum!
Old 08-23-16, 12:39 PM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I've done that stretch as part of the Devil's Slide Ride, which was a nice route.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4556042

Welcome Ghazmh, I spent my college years in Cambridge MA. Off topic, but from Sunnyvale I can suggest Montebello for a easily accessible low-traffic good climb, and Stevens Canyon / Mt. Eden for quick moderate elevation gains.