Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi help, please!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 05:17 PM
motosman1

Bikes: GT Rebound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi help, please!

I'm searching for my first C&V bike and have settled in on Bianchi, sort of. Pretty trivial and truly uneducated reasons why but, here I am. I am having trouble researching Bianchi models, years of production, country of production/assembly and specifics of construction. I have tried, various ways, to Google "Bianchi bicycle history" only to end up at Bianchi company website, reading a very vague timeline and list of company sponsored riders. For instance, there is plenty of info for Schwinn. Entry level models, mid level up to Paramount and all the specifics of construction that sets them apart. I am looking to learn more about frame construction, in general, and the differences in tubing composition. What years did Bianchi use CroMo tubing and in what models? I know these details have to be available, I'm just having trouble finding them. Unfortunately, I spend way too much time working and time in front of the computer, just wandering aimlessly, is very hard to come by. Any help, from you guys, in streamlining my quest for answers is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-18, 05:28 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I'm no Bianchi expert but they were likely the most prolific Italian builders and they made massive numbers of bikes suited to different markets at many price points. Maybe a good point to start is with your budget? Or which period attracts you?

I had an 85-ish Japanese Bianchi with 022 tubes and campy drops that was sublime. Maybe you really want a classic celeste bike out of the Reparto Corse shop. There's a lot of bikes out there and there's really no central website that covers it in one place that I've ever seen.

Last edited by clubman; 07-25-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 06:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
get the paid member ship......post a wtb (want to buy) in the for sale section...... 58cm iirc from your other posts and see what shows up, you could be surprised

Old 07-27-18, 11:47 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

dude here you go for some things in your area.... better pull the trigger.....or you never will

$300 bianchi....not the celest green by good components
https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/bi...642295463.html

$750 japanese over your budge but very nice..... just ride it
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...626308181.html

Old 07-27-18, 12:45 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
You can find good info on 80s Bianchis reading catalogs at bulgier.net bulgier.net - /pics/bike/catalogs/

Old 07-29-18, 11:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by motosman1
I'm searching for my first C&V bike and have settled in on Bianchi, sort of. Pretty trivial and truly uneducated reasons why but, here I am. I am having trouble researching Bianchi models, years of production, country of production/assembly and specifics of construction. I have tried, various ways, to Google "Bianchi bicycle history" only to end up at Bianchi company website, reading a very vague timeline and list of company sponsored riders. For instance, there is plenty of info for Schwinn. Entry level models, mid level up to Paramount and all the specifics of construction that sets them apart. I am looking to learn more about frame construction, in general, and the differences in tubing composition. What years did Bianchi use CroMo tubing and in what models? I know these details have to be available, I'm just having trouble finding them. Unfortunately, I spend way too much time working and time in front of the computer, just wandering aimlessly, is very hard to come by. Any help, from you guys, in streamlining my quest for answers is greatly appreciated.
How is your search going? Most of spend way too much time looking at craigslist for bikes and if we knew where you lived we might be able to steer you toward some nice bikes. There are tonnes of great older Bianchi bikes out there and most are great riders.

I suspect Bianchi started using Chromoly as soon as it was developed into bike tubing. For a begining rider you not likely to really notice the different from a full ChroMoly frameand a mix of ChroMoly main tubes and Manganese or HiTen stays but it will still be a nice rider.

The same general principles for buying any quality bike are the same for Bianchi. Look for bikes with down tube mounted shifters and quick release aluminum wheels.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-31-18, 12:15 PM
motosman1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, Bianchigirll! Every bit helps. I posted the following on my other thread:

Man, life sure gets in the way, sometimes. So, out of 5 bikes, on local CL, I got one timely reply that the bikesold and they forgot to delete the post. Two others just informed me that the post was deleted, days later. Two others never responded. Yes, I did start another thread specifically for guidance on Bianchi. For various reasons, the brand is tugging at me. Funny (not haha, though) how this all started with a potential $50 Kabuki that it seemed no one wanted. Now I am contemplating a $200 budget (gotta talk myself down outta the tree!) and an elaborate scheme to get it past my wife's discerning eye! Nope, not completely set on a Bianchi. I realize I need to crawl before walking. Saving all my change, ebaying some motorcycle parts and keeping my eyes wide open so that when that "good deal on a good bike" comes along, I CAN pull the trigger. All you guys, and gals, have contributed a wealth of knowledge and information and I am forever grateful. Yes squirtdad, I plan on buying the membership and posting WTB's. I will let you know what I end up with. I am a mechanic, by trade, and really want something that requires some work and TLC. Hopefully it will be something that I can post the before, after and buildup along the way. I'm quite sure I will seek further expertise and guidance along the way.
Old 07-31-18, 12:30 PM
squirtdad

what about these 2 the post are still up????

I know the green one is way above OP targlet, but the other one could be cheaper over all by not needing as much stuff as a cheaper bike

Originally Posted by squirtdad
dude here you go for some things in your area.... better pull the trigger.....or you never will

$300 bianchi....not the celest green by good components
https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/bi...642295463.html

$750 japanese over your budge but very nice..... just ride it
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...626308181.html

Old 08-01-18, 08:08 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
I am trying to find if I missed it somewhere....what size bike are you looking for? I may have something for you, that will be ok with your wife and your budget. Allow you something to work on, and scratch that Bianchi itch.
Old 08-01-18, 01:00 PM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Essthreetee
I am trying to find if I missed it somewhere....what size bike are you looking for? I may have something for you, that will be ok with your wife and your budget. Allow you something to work on, and scratch that Bianchi itch.
Old 08-06-18, 08:29 AM
motosman1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Essthreetee
According to the online calculator I found, I'm looking at 22"-23" (55-59cm) seat tube length. I'm going to a local bike shop this week to actually stand over a couple different bikes and narrow down my frame size. I know, I should have done this a long time ago.

And thanks squirtdad. I agree with you about the purple Bianchi posted, it's just hard to come up with an "undetectable" $300 for the initial purchase. I am the sole source of income in our household and its easier for me to have a smaller initial purchase and slowly funnel money into it for refurbishing and upgrades. I won't go into the complications of my marriage but being on the bike also doubles as a healthy excuse to be out of the house for some "me time".

BTW, I spent a little time over the weekend corresponding with someone local, to me, about some bikes listed on local CL. Posted pics of several bikes (20+) and I noticed Motobecane, Fuji and Peugeot in the mix. Got excited to go peruse the assortment only to be told that all but one or two undesirables were 8 hours away. I gave him my desired specs and he is supposed to compile a list of what he has that might fit the bill. Of course, time will tell. If it pans out, I will gladly share his contact info.
Old 08-06-18, 09:01 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Since you are a mechanic, consider starting with a bare frame that you can build up with whatever parts you wish for a 1st effort. Try to locate a Bicycle Co-op near you for a source of low cost components. Often, frames are for sale with their headset and bottom bracket or even more parts. (stem, bars, levers, brakes). Some frames just need a set of wheels.

My one and only Bianchi is a "Trofeo" model, bare frame, I picked up cheap while walking to my car after a swap meet in Seattle. Just said "Nice frame set" to a guy & he offered it low because failed to sell Don
Old 08-06-18, 10:29 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
I sent you a PM...if it will help you get some help, I have a frame and fork that Ibwould be willing to give you for the cost of shipping.

It was was the first frame that I built up and if it can help someone else get into bikes and health...great.
Old 08-29-18, 04:33 PM
nothing818

Bikes: Bianchi Limited

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a bianchi 022 and its great
Old 08-29-18, 04:34 PM
nothing818

Bikes: Bianchi Limited

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
testing
Old 08-30-18, 08:19 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
...There are tonnes of great older Bianchi bikes out there and most are great riders.

I suspect Bianchi started using Chromoly as soon as it was developed into bike tubing. For a begining rider you not likely to really notice the different from a full ChroMoly frameand a mix of ChroMoly main tubes and Manganese or HiTen stays but it will still be a nice rider.

The same general principles for buying any quality bike are the same for Bianchi. Look for bikes with down tube mounted shifters and quick release aluminum wheels.
I can vouch for midgrade Bianchis with mixed tubesets. (My tre tubi frame has a butted CrMo main triangle and is a delight to ride.) Even my old cheapo Bianchi Corsa (plain gauge carbon steel, steel rims, wingnuts, Huret Allvit derailleurs) was a surprisingly pleasant machine.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-30-18, 09:02 AM
skillasw
vintage Bianchiist

Bikes: Bianchis, 84 Superleggera, 86 Giro, 87 SportSx, 87 Campd'Italia, 87 Limited, 88 Proto, 95 TSXChorus, 94 TSX105/DAax, 94 Super Grizzley RC, 94 Genius Record, 06 Pinella Boron, 18 Volpe Avanti, 00 Megapro ST Veloce00 EM Strada OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Here is a link to a PDF of the 1987 Bianchi catalouge https://velobase.com/CatalogScans/1987Bianchi.pdf , give you a good reference of the mid to late 80's models, as many of tose years used very similar set ups. I can also vouch for the ride quality of the mid grade Bianchis, especially the higher end formula 2, like that purple Bianchi limited which I would not hesitate to buy for $300, It's one of most fun bikes Ive ridden, all shimano 600! There are a few different grades of 'Formula 2' the difference being mainly in what steel the stays are made from, the ride quality of the Limited is very close to the Columbus SL/SP in Bianchis higher models
Old 09-03-18, 06:10 AM
motosman1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skillasw
Here is a link to a PDF of the 1987 Bianchi catalouge https://velobase.com/CatalogScans/1987Bianchi.pdf , give you a good reference of the mid to late 80's models, as many of tose years used very similar set ups. I can also vouch for the ride quality of the mid grade Bianchis, especially the higher end formula 2, like that purple Bianchi limited which I would not hesitate to buy for $300, It's one of most fun bikes Ive ridden, all shimano 600! There are a few different grades of 'Formula 2' the difference being mainly in what steel the stays are made from, the ride quality of the Limited is very close to the Columbus SL/SP in Bianchis higher models
Thank you for the info, it is greatly appreciated. Three weeks ago I picked up a very nice, original Fuji S15-S as my first C&V bike. It needs tires/tubes and a little TLC to make a nice bike. Unfortunately, my job has taken me away from home since I got the bike and I haven’t been able to work on it. I plan on using it as a rider until I gather enough info to make a solid decision on what model(s) Bianchi I want to search for. Thanks for the catalog link, keep any and all info headed my way. Thanks again for all the help.