Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clicking sound coming out of Shimano WH-R600-R rear wheel hub. (Need wrench size)

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clicking sound coming out of Shimano WH-R600-R rear wheel hub. (Need wrench size)

Old 04-12-11, 02:05 PM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have about 10000 trouble free miles on these wheels:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608677.pdf

Last 200 miles, I am getting this clicking sound. It happens whenever I sit down (coasting or pedaling) at the rate of wheel rotation. On stand, and when I am out of the saddle, it's quiet. Other than sound, bike rides fine and wheel is true. I took apart the drive side, cleaned and re-lubed the freewheel ratchet, reassembled and tightened everything. It didn't help. I was thinking of checking the left side like-wise, but I don't have the right wrench. I have a park tool kit with wrenches that only go up to 19mm, and the indentations on the left lock nut (Y-4BR98100) are somewhat wider than that. Does anyone know what size they are, are they 20mm or 21mm? I almost feel like there is about half a mm of lateral play on the left side when I push the wheel from side to side. Is that normal or something I need to tighten down? Anyone have the spec for that? Anything else I should check for to diagnose the clicking, it's pretty annoying at this point.
Old 04-12-11, 02:08 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a bike with a removable RD hanger, check that the screws that keep it in place are not loose.

Trust me...
Old 04-12-11, 02:23 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RD is tight, thanks for advice, but unfortunately it's not that simple. Also checked spokes.
Old 03-19-19, 01:49 PM
NickCee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WH-R600 Rear Hub

Hey bigredgrad01 - I know this is very old post but I still ride WH-R600 rims and know a little about them. As you said, the rear is not only hard to get apart, I still haven't figured it out and have spent a long time trying. I have all Shimano exploded views. Getting the free hub off is simple enough. I clean and lightly grease mine (Finish Line Ceramic grease) every six months. The left cone is listed as 17MM but it's not - it's at least 20MM as I had to file a 19MM to fit it. On top of the cone is the dreaded Shimano Left Hand Lock Nut (M14) - Y4BR98110 and I have tried every imaginable combination to get this nut off and the R600 rear hub apart and have failed. Luckily mine is still in good shape but after 13 years, it sure would be nice to replace those bearings. Anybody know how to get this R600 rear hub apart?