Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going from MTB pedals to "Real" road pedals.

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Going from MTB pedals to "Real" road pedals.

Old 02-16-15, 12:11 PM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't believe the hype. Especially if you are spinning in saddle, which is the way to go anyways.
I went the other way from SPD-SL to SPD pedals. I don't notice much difference riding, and it's much easier to walk, and more variety of shoes.
If you do want to compare, you should do SIDI Dominator on SPD vs SIDI Genius on SPD-SL, with identical cleat locations. Then it's apples to apples. I have both setups, but haven't done a blind test. They are both good enough for me though, and SPD is far more practical.
Old 02-16-15, 01:48 PM
PIPO_VV

Bikes: Dogma 60.1 SuperSix Evo HM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made this changed about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. I noticed I could spin a higher cadence on the hills with the same effort. But I'm one of those riders that tries to go faster after each ride.
Old 02-16-15, 01:59 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Crank Brother Candy 3 on my MTB, Cross and Road bikes. I use the same pair of shoes too. I find if it works, why bother changing it. Anyway, I prefer using my MTB shoes so people don't think I'm a wussie roadie full time.
Old 05-03-15, 11:28 AM
Stellar12

Bikes: Orbea Dama

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Speedplay Frogs for several months and still have trouble clicking in. Have you had this problem and how did you solve it? The Speedplay guy said to back off the tiny set screw on my shoes 1/4 turn. But they are lock tighten on so I need to heat them up in order to turn the screw.
Old 05-03-15, 12:09 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, the amount of play in road vs MTB cleats pales in comparison to the unavoidable movement between the shoe and the foot, not to mention the constant deformation of the shoe and the flesh and bone in the foot itself.
Old 05-03-15, 04:32 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use "road pedals". The lady riding as stoker on my tandem uses "mountainbike pedals". She's got more randonneuring miles than any other lady in the country. From that observation, I would say, if you're not having problems, there's no reason to switch.
Old 05-05-15, 09:57 PM
IrishBike

Bikes: 2017 Tripster (active project), 2011 Lynskey R230, 2003 Canondale Scalpel, 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia, 1987? Miele

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute with SPD pedals - I don't want to 'duck walk' around work or carry a change of shoes. When on the long or weekend rides I'll use the Looks - I don't mind the duck walk for patio pints.
Old 05-05-15, 10:09 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
heretic! Get the torches and pitchforks!!
lmao!!

FWIW, I came from originally using Shimano Click'rs which use SPD's and had 2 pairs of pedals for both bikes and then got a road bike so threw some M-540's on and called it good.

NOBODY else I ride with use SPD's, only road setups yet I've never heard a word. Only difference is when we walk around whilst stopped on a ride, I walk like a normal person......they don't.

Last edited by loimpact; 05-05-15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 07:58 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetit View Post
Now, some research has shown that unless you're a high-performance cyclist, clipless pedals make none to very little, eventual difference. What seems to matter the most is the weight of pedals and shoes. Recently I've been using flat pedals and light sneakers. The pedals are big and have pins, to compensate for the suppler sole in the sneakers. I'm able to cycle the same as before, at the same speed and my muscles feel even better at the end of the day!
That's interesting. I just switched from platform pedals to MTB shoes w/ a SPD pedal. I noticed a few things immediately.

1. I could spin more easily, as with just the platform pedals my sneakers would slip on the pedals (and the pedals were metal with small prongs to keep running shoes from slipping).
2. I noticed the stiffer sole kept me from dipping my heel as much.

Now, as far as average speed, it probably only saved me about .1 - .2 mph on my ride. I don't think it helped my top end very much on flats or descents, but it did help me on climbs so I could spin more and mash less.

To the OP, if you don't need new shoes, listen to the people with more experience that say it isn't going to make much difference. If you need new shoes, then it may not hurt to include road shoes in your shopping. If you're going to start racing, then that might be a reason to get road shoes.

If your biking shoes are comfortable, and you're able to go as far as you want, don't mess with it.

GH
Old 05-06-15, 08:57 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought some new SPD shoes to replace my old SPD shoes. I don't know what other people I ride with are wearing. I guess I never cared to look...

I'd say if they're ribbing you it is because they like you. If you swap out the shoes they'll just start making fun of something else...