Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Arkel GT-54's vs Orlieb Panniers

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Arkel GT-54's vs Orlieb Panniers

Old 04-13-13, 09:01 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Because:
  1. There are much more recent threads that address similar topics.
  2. There have been changes in the opinions of the touring community as a whole in the 9 years since the thread was started.
  3. Because people who commented on the threads may well have differing opinions now.
  4. Because it is long enough ago that we may not even remember the posting records of the posters.
  5. Because models of the gear in question may have changed.
  6. Because current opinions based on current practices, models, and technology would be more useful.
  7. Because readers are likely to see the posts and think they are current.

When referring to an old thread, I'd rather see a link than see link to it than a response to it.
Old 04-13-13, 09:34 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
Really?, why? Why start a new thread when the info within this one is still relavant? I found this thread to be really helpful, still.
+1 I too found this thread pertinent. I guess being ancient is useless....Hmm? I'm ancient so does that mean....???

For what it's worth, I've ridden in some real gully-washers with non-water proof bags which is why I now use Ortliebs.
Old 04-13-13, 09:51 AM
lanahk

Bikes: LHT, Giant Defy2, 83 Fuji Del Rey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arkels or Ortliebs? Miller or Bud? Ginger or Mary Ann?

I'm a big fan of waterproof, but I haven't gone on long tours with 4 inches of rain in a day, either. I also like pockets, for convenience. In the end, I bought Ortliebs because I know my stuff won't get wet riding through a stream or a downpour. I can keep my stuff in color-coded bags if I need to find stuff in a hurry.

I makes sense not to put wet stuff in the Ortliebs for very long. It makes sense that wet clothes in a closed bag on a hot day would turn the funk on. I imagine the Arkels would smell the same if you left a bunch of wet in them. Maybe a loosely-packed mesh sack on the rear rack would allow damp gear to dry, or at least not moulder.
Old 06-24-17, 12:58 AM
brian_rides

Bikes: 84' Fuji Touring Series IV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread is one of the reasons i love this forum so much.
SO MUCH INFORMATION FROM PEOPLE WITH MORE EXPERIENCE THAN ME!
thanks all
Old 06-24-17, 08:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Numbers ... I see more Ortlieb users , riding the Pacific Coast, rare to see any Arkels.
Old 06-25-17, 10:35 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
Really?, why? Why start a new thread when the info within this one is still relavant? I found this thread to be really helpful, still.
I love it when a thread is revived and it is still flows with useful information like this one does. Why start fresh and leave out all of this great stuff? I am sure the OP has his answer but WTH.

I have some Arkel Dolphins. About the same weight as Ortiiebs, has pockets but also metal hooks. I just cant get excited about plastic hooks. That's just me and I know a lot of you have gone farther with Ortliebs than I ever will. Then again, my wife said she is reconsidering a world tour when we retire.
Old 06-26-17, 12:00 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember this thread from 2004, In August of 2004 I was touring eastern Canada and was on the Quebec-Levis ferry where I had met a Montreal couple who were admiring my old Vaude panniers (same country,material and closure as the Ortlieb Backroller) They said they had Arkels on their recent tour of Ireland where they said it rained everyday and they spent every night drying out their panniers. The Arkels are a much better product today but I still prefer the Vaude and Ortlieb.
Old 06-26-17, 06:02 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I've used both and Ortliebs are better IMO. Waterproof IS better. Ortliebs are durable, waterproof, and the attachment system is excellent.

The only Arkel I'd consider today would be the Dry-Lites because they're lightweight.

Last edited by BigAura; 06-26-17 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-17, 05:50 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
aura, Ive seen these Arkel models in stores and was impressed by how well made they seem, very tough seeming material

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/orca-45-...-panniers.html

they use the hook system which may be convienent for folks using diff bikes and diff rear racks, so no adjusting stuff like with Ortliebs.
these are a bit heavy I find though, but all in all seem like very high quality panniers. I'm an Ortlieb user, but this arkel model and others are fully waterproof and will last a long time also if taken care of properly.
Old 06-26-17, 07:02 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
aura, Ive seen these Arkel models in stores and was impressed by how well made they seem, very tough seeming material

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/orca-45-...-panniers.html

they use the hook system which may be convienent for folks using diff bikes and diff rear racks, so no adjusting stuff like with Ortliebs.
these are a bit heavy I find though, but all in all seem like very high quality panniers. I'm an Ortlieb user, but this arkel model and others are fully waterproof and will last a long time also if taken care of properly.
I do like that Arkel's designs have moved more toward waterproof. I also agree that their build-quality is top-notch. They are a great competitor to Ortlieb...BUT for the moment I'm still in the Ortlieb camp.
Old 06-26-17, 10:41 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanks to a suggestion on this forum I've recently washed clothes in one Ortieb pannier and used another as a beer cooler with ice. I can't believe I've waited all these decades to buy some.
Old 06-27-17, 03:33 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
The Arkels mentioned here are seriously heavy.....and old fashioned IMHO. Things have moved on and Arkel now makes the Drylites and there are many non-pannier options for luggage.
Old 06-27-17, 03:44 PM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No mention of Axiom? Their new Hydracore panniers are quite nice. I use the p36+ for commuting.
Old 06-27-17, 04:59 PM
djb

Originally Posted by DTG
No mention of Axiom? Their new Hydracore panniers are quite nice. I use the p36+ for commuting.
when I have looked at Axioms here, the mounting system doesnt look as tough as Ortliebs, but I do see that they are
Rixen and Kaul brand mounting hardware, which I understand has a very good reputation, so in the end, it seems that there are many good options for waterproof panniers out now, certainly more than when I began looking at Ortliebs about 25 years ago.
So for the consumer, its great to have more quality choices.
Old 06-27-17, 05:05 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
The only complaints I have with my Ortliebs is that the plastic latches don't hold up. However, I suspect that is the same with any brand that uses that style of latch.
Old 06-27-17, 05:14 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Robert C
The only complaints I have with my Ortliebs is that the plastic latches don't hold up. However, I suspect that is the same with any brand that uses that style of latch.
which ones specifically? And on what model?
Old 06-27-17, 05:23 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

I have had them fail on the back rollers and the old style briefcase. Do keep in mind, I use my bike, and bags, for commuting as well as touring. They get used every day and in all types of weather.

I don't suspect that normal riders would ever have the same troubles that I have seen.
Old 06-27-17, 05:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
In 2004 when this thread started, my Ortleibs had 5 years on them. I bought new ones in 2010, reset the originals to be rear panniers and retired them to farmers market and touring duty. (I'll buy new hooks before I start a tour.)

With the 25 total years of experience with Ortleibs, I have had one failure in the waterproofing - when I stuck a very sharp kitchen knife through. With a standard raft repair, it is as good as new except it rolls up tighter and easier. (Any rafting outfit can tell you exactly how to make a very permanent repair, what you need and where to get it. Same tough fabric, same repair. They make those repairs all the time)

I joke you could use them as waterbags to cross the Sahara. (You would need sturdier hooks. And a really solid rack.)

Ben
Old 06-27-17, 09:18 PM
djb

I have had them fail on the back rollers and the old style briefcase. Do keep in mind, I use my bike, and bags, for commuting as well as touring. They get used every day and in all types of weather.

I don't suspect that normal riders would ever have the same troubles that I have seen.
Im surprised, as my old pair bought in 1993 are still alive and kicking, used by family members, and the top two closing hook latch system is still perfectly working. I too used them all the time for commuting.

In fact, its this super tough aspect of the ortlieb attachment system that has kept me using ortliebs.
I figure that if there is too much free space between the rack rods and the opening of the hooks, there is a lot of movement when going over bumps, and this can put more forces into the hooks themselves. The inserts do a good job of reducing this space, and I've taken to putting some tape on my racks to further reduce the panniers bouncing up and down a bit, on rough roads I think this is important to make sure less forces go into the pannier hook areas.
Old 06-28-17, 07:01 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Arkel - life-time transferable warranty. Ortlieb 5 year non-transferable warranty.
Old 06-28-17, 07:20 AM
Robert C

Originally Posted by djb
Im surprised, as my old pair bought in 1993 are still alive and kicking, used by family members, and the top two closing hook latch system is still perfectly working. I too used them all the time for commuting.

In fact, its this super tough aspect of the ortlieb attachment system that has kept me using ortliebs.
I figure that if there is too much free space between the rack rods and the opening of the hooks, there is a lot of movement when going over bumps, and this can put more forces into the hooks themselves. The inserts do a good job of reducing this space, and I've taken to putting some tape on my racks to further reduce the panniers bouncing up and down a bit, on rough roads I think this is important to make sure less forces go into the pannier hook areas.
Wrong part, I am, talking about the clip that actually holds the bags closed. It isn't a really big deal, I can replace them when they go bad; but that seems like at least once a year for a regularly used bag.
Old 06-28-17, 07:53 AM
djb

Wrong part, I am, talking about the clip that actually holds the bags closed. It isn't a really big deal, I can replace them when they go bad; but that seems like at least once a year for a regularly used bag.
ahh, righto. I had to replace mine on the '93 bags, but that was due to being caught in slammed car doors multiple times over the years (not by me) and they finally cried uncle and one side of the sticky outty parts of the male part got broken --but yes, bought replacement bits at an outdoor store and did it myself.

I honestly can't see why yours break at least once a year, we're talking the male/female bits rights?

for me, they've been as reliable as knapsack/backpack male/female clips, ie without getting crunched in doors or whatever, are long long lasting.
Old 06-28-17, 11:25 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
I love it when a thread is revived and it is still flows with useful information like this one does. Why start fresh and leave out all of this great stuff? I am sure the OP has his answer but WTH.
You can't win. Start a new thread and someone says, "Don't you know there are a hundred threads on this topic? Use the Search!" Dig up an old thread, and someone says, "Why did you resurrect that ancient thread?"

Originally Posted by boomhauer
Thanks to a suggestion on this forum I've recently washed clothes in one Ortieb pannier and used another as a beer cooler with ice. I can't believe I've waited all these decades to buy some.
Yep. On my annual trip to the music festival it has now become my practice to set up camp and then dump all my clothes out into the tent. Then I put my beer in the Ortleib, and throw a bag of ice in. I usually have another, smaller cooler, too, for things that really can't get warm, but the Ortleib cooler keeps things pretty cool with a bag of ice a day. Then, on the last night of camping, I dump it out and hang it upside down. In the morning it's dry, and I throw the clothes back in. Not sure why others have such a hard time drying theirs out.
Old 06-28-17, 11:49 AM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Dang man...this just sold me...So, you put detergent in some water, throw in the clothes and ride down the bumpiest road you could find?

I have been looking at panniers for some time and narrowed it down to Back Rollers and Bike Packers...I do like the front pocket on the bike packer, but being in Washington, the back rollers, from what I hear, provide more water resistance...Gosh, just a tough decision these panniers are...
Old 06-29-17, 05:15 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by lanahk
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Both of course. <<<sh8t-eating grin.

I am sporting Oveja Negra and Revelate bikepacking bags atm because I like aspects of both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.