Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 02:17 PM
Jim53

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Well jeez I would hope an $1800 bike billed as the ultimate "do anything" bike would be more than "competent" on something like the C&O! I've done the whole length many times bikecamping on a 1993 rigid steel MTB with, on at least one trip, Specialized Fatboy tires that are 1.25" 100psi slicks (I think I had them at 80psi for that though). And there were always people sailing down the towpath on regular road bikes.
Well, I grew up in the Midwest, where the highest level of praise is "darn good"...

Cool that you've done the whole length! Harpers Ferry to Georgetown? Doing the whole trip is on my bucket list. Any thoughts on steel vs. aluminum vs. carbon frame for towpath terrain?
Old 06-30-17, 02:47 PM
Jim53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Yeah, you're not the only one. Apparently, people are getting 32's instead of 38's. So

Haha, you're not the only one, though why don't you just get your dealer to upgrade the mech to hydros and pay the extra instead of getting a carbon comp?

:
I asked the dealer what it would cost to upgrade to Shimano RS505 -- the brakes used on the D Comp. He told me he'd have to buy the "whole brake set", which would cost $700. Add, say $100, for labor, and I'd be looking at a $2600 bike.
Old 06-30-17, 03:15 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim53
I asked the dealer what it would cost to upgrade to Shimano RS505 -- the brakes used on the D Comp. He told me he'd have to buy the "whole brake set", which would cost $700. Add, say $100, for labor, and I'd be looking at a $2600 bike.
It probably costs $700 at the dealer. You can get them for the mid-$200's online.
Old 06-30-17, 04:13 PM
Jim53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It probably costs $700 at the dealer. You can get them for the mid-$200's online.
Wow, that would make it reasonable to do the swap.

OK, this question will expose me as a non-cognoscenti: what specific parts would I order online? The dealer was saying that I needed even to replace the brake hand levers on the bike. He was stating the price as if I was starting from scratch.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-30-17, 05:25 PM
Lazyass

Wow, that would make it reasonable to do the swap.

OK, this question will expose me as a non-cognoscenti: what specific parts would I order online? The dealer was saying that I needed even to replace the brake hand levers on the bike. He was stating the price as if I was starting from scratch.

Thanks,
Jim
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-01-17, 03:19 AM
Rennvelo

Bikes: Specialiced Roubaix Comp 2017; Giant Anthem X1 2008 (MTB)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more thought out of my experience with the Roubaix and Diverge 2017. I think the Future Shock adds more to the ride characteristics than everything else. Ok, May be the tire width, but assuming similar tire width. Therefore, the Difference between the Carbon models and E5 model with FS is most probably smaller than between the E5 models with and without FS.

Last edited by Rennvelo; 07-01-17 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 11:37 AM
Jim53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 07-01-17, 01:30 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

I'm sure your LBS wouldn't blame you for buying these components for significantly less than their wholesale price (FU, Shimano), but if you'll be needing their assistance in choosing it and installing it, please be prepared to compensate them for their trouble.
Old 07-01-17, 02:09 PM
Lazyass

There's some weird pricing going on right now. Ultegra 6800 STI's are on sale and cheaper than 105's.
Old 07-04-17, 07:59 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I grew up in the Midwest, where the highest level of praise is "darn good"...

Cool that you've done the whole length! Harpers Ferry to Georgetown? Doing the whole trip is on my bucket list. Any thoughts on steel vs. aluminum vs. carbon frame for towpath terrain?
Harpers Ferry to Georgetown is only 60 miles. The C&O starts in Cumberland MD, and it's 180mi from there to Georgetown. It's a nice ride and flat as a pancake. The only hills will be on short on-road detours, if there are any for the given year. If you don't want to camp, you can stay in hotels every 60 miles not far from the towpath (Hancock and Harper's Ferry would be the hotel points).

I've only done it on my cromoly rigid MTB, with tires from the 1.25" 100psi Specialized Fatboys, to 1.5" 80psi Specialized Nimbus, to 2.1" 60psi Panaracer Smoke/Dart. No issues, at least if it's dry. Two of my trips had heavy rain the entire time, so the trail was just one big mudpit, and then I was glad to have the 2" knobbies.
Old 07-05-17, 07:16 AM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yesterday I got to ride the E5 Comp. The LBS had it in graphite/black, and it looked awesome to me -- quite elemental. Nice proportions; it fit right for me. I rode it on the (gravel) C&O towpath in DC. It was surprisingly competent, especially since I had ridden into town (including a couple-mile stretch on the towpath) on my dual suspension SJ. My only* hesitation with the E5 is that it comes with mechanical disc brakes. I've been spoiled by hydro disc brakes (is this just psychological?) If I were to go up one model, to the Comp, I'd get hydro discs and a carbon frame -- but my cost would go from $1800 to $3000!

Before making that leap to the Comp, the other bike I'd like to try for comparison is the Jamis Renegade Expert. Both the D Comp and the JRE have carbon frames, 105 sets, and Shimano hydro brakes. The Comp has 38 mm tires and the JRE has 36. If you pull their photos up on your screen and toggle back and forth, the two bikes look close to identical. The S Comp has the Future Shock and costs $3000; the JRE does not and costs $2700.

*OK, I wish the E5 had a bit wider tires: maybe in the 32-34 range, instead of 30. But I could make that change.
You'll get more bang for buck with the JREX. I'm not a fan of the future shock but take that with a grain of salt. I have a 2015 Diverge Comp carbon that is my primary road bike(sold the actual road bike with 23s). I also like the fact I can toss it around with with no qualms. I've also done some light bike packing with it but that's about it. As I digress though, I wanted a little more from it and didn't want to push it past it's limits. That being said, I came across the JREL back in Feb and just loved everything about it from the spec sheet, being rack compatible, etc. I test road the Exploit and loved how it rode. It rides more stable than my Diverge and just a tad slower but remember, this is not a road bike but a real do it all bike. I figured if 631 steel road great, then the Carbon one would ride that much better. So I finally put in an order a month ago and I pick it up today.

I know that's a lot of info but in the end, you get more bang for buck. Plus you'll probably be one of only a handful of people in your region that has one since most bike shops don't carry the carbon version.

So my opinion is non biased since I already own (Diverge) one but just felt the new bike was a step down impo, therefore the JREL is the best bike for me, even without the future shock.
Old 07-09-17, 07:40 AM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyway, anyone has the weight for Diverge Comp E5? I'm curious to hear the weight of the bike, I'm guessing ~10kg+
Old 07-09-17, 07:55 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyway, anyone has the weight for Diverge Comp E5? I'm curious to hear the weight of the bike, I'm guessing ~10kg+
I can't imagine it's much heavier than the Elite DSW if at at all. The futureshock is only 7oz. I'm not sure how much weight the smartweld process saves. But the Comp E5 has 105 compared to Tiagra on the DSW, there's a few oz right there probably.
Old 07-09-17, 09:11 AM
Lazyass

Total weight is 9.80kg (21.6lbs) in size 54cm.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/2018-sp...touring-bikes/
Old 07-09-17, 09:29 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What did the Elite DSW weigh?
Old 07-10-17, 04:11 AM
eppan

Bikes: Coppi Campionissimo, Gios Super Record

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interestingly the upper rear rack mount seems to be in the seat collar, at least on the E5 Comp. Based on Specialized site Carbon models don't have that alloy rack mount seat collar, but the site mentions "mounts for racks". I cannot see any placement for the rear rack based on pictures I've seen.
Old 07-10-17, 04:14 AM
eppan

Bikes: Coppi Campionissimo, Gios Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also an interesting difference, is that the carbon models have two placement (3 screws) bottle mounts on seat and down tube, where as aluminium ones only have one placement (2 screws). I bet this for the SWAT-box compatibility, but works also nicely, if you need to lower your bottles to make room for a frame bag.
Old 07-10-17, 09:11 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
What did the Elite DSW weigh?
Answering my own question: Cyclist (UK) said their 2017 Elite DSW 52cm was 21.2lb.

For the 2018 E5 Comp: Cycling About claims 21.6lb for a 54.
Old 07-12-17, 01:20 PM
fruitpunch.ben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys.

Just discovered the Diverge, and while I'm waiting for the 2018 line-up to make its way to Canada, I registered to ask a question.

There's lots of discussion and opinions about the high-end carbon models & E5 comp with Future shock. But what about the cheap ones?

If I'm considering one of the low-end models (E5 up to E5 Elite) without Future Shock, would I be better off with a 2017 model with Zertz? Since zertz is now gone on all models, the low-end diverges now have no dampening at all, right?

I guess I would be giving up the premium E5 aluminum for A1, and, as someone who likes to keep their bikes for a long time, possibly risking getting stuck with unsupported wheel sets.

Am I right? Any opinions?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-17, 01:35 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben
Hi guys.

Just discovered the Diverge, and while I'm waiting for the 2018 line-up to make its way to Canada, I registered to ask a question.

There's lots of discussion and opinions about the high-end carbon models & E5 comp with Future shock. But what about the cheap ones?

If I'm considering one of the low-end models (E5 up to E5 Elite) without Future Shock, would I be better off with a 2017 model with Zertz? Since zertz is now gone on all models, the low-end diverges now have no dampening at all, right?

I guess I would be giving up the premium E5 aluminum for A1, and, as someone who likes to keep their bikes for a long time, possibly risking getting stuck with unsupported wheel sets.

Am I right? Any opinions?

Thanks!
I have an A1 and it's hard to tell how much the Zerts actually works, but it's a smooth riding bike. The lower end models use regular wheels. If you want front end suspension you can always get a ShockStem.
Old 07-12-17, 02:01 PM
fruitpunch.ben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I have an A1 and it's hard to tell how much the Zerts actually works, but it's a smooth riding bike. The lower end models use regular wheels. If you want front end suspension you can always get a ShockStem.
Thanks. I guess what I need is to either ride both myself (unlikely I can find both in stock in my size) or wait for someone else to chime in who has ridden both who can compare the ride... A few people have ridden 2017 and 2018 high end models, it's hard being on a budget - no one reviews the entry level ones

I guess since none of the 2018s have any dampening in the seat, Specialized is admitting that the zertz inserts there were a gimmick?

For the front end, the ShockStem is definitely an option.

Another idea: Would the E5 be upgradeable to a future shock stem at a later date, or is it integrated into the frame somehow?
Old 07-12-17, 02:41 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben
Thanks. I guess what I need is to either ride both myself (unlikely I can find both in stock in my size) or wait for someone else to chime in who has ridden both who can compare the ride... A few people have ridden 2017 and 2018 high end models, it's hard being on a budget - no one reviews the entry level ones

I guess since none of the 2018s have any dampening in the seat, Specialized is admitting that the zertz inserts there were a gimmick?

For the front end, the ShockStem is definitely an option.

Another idea: Would the E5 be upgradeable to a future shock stem at a later date, or is it integrated into the frame somehow?
You can't put a Future Shock on a frame that doesn't have it. IMO a ShockStem is a better option, anyway. Same amount of travel, lighter, if you sell the bike you can keep it and if you keep the bike for a long time and end up having to replace the fork you won't have to try to track down a used Future Shock after Specialized stops making them. I'm going to get one and the people who have them seem to love them.
Old 07-13-17, 10:08 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had the bike shop weigh the 2018 Comp E5 and their analog hanging scale said 22.5lb. I had my digital with me just in case and it read the same. This is with basic plastic pedals and reflectors still on. Still, a full pound heavier than what was reported.
Old 07-13-17, 12:06 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, the new Diverges is definitely much heavier than last year Diverge, even though FS was supposed to just add 200g-300g
Old 07-13-17, 12:28 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe DSW really was a significant weight-saver? Weird that they dumped it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.