Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I just learned I am a Clydesdale

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 01:12 AM
huckgibbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Allow me to shine a big bright light on my own ignorance in both cycling and forums.
That being said here goes.
I am 67 years old and weigh in at about 265. I am working on an old Raleigh Technium so I can get back out there and work on my health. I have had a ticking in the rear so I decided I could fix it myself. I found that the old Suntour 6 speed freewheel is all rusted so I want to replace the whole back rim. The bike had a Weinmann m19 rim on it. 700c x 1.25. In my reading I have come to believe that I may do better with a wider tire. Am I confused about this and if not what could I replace this wheel with and what would be a good replacement freewheel that would match the chain rings ? I personally don't think I have ever had a problem with the 700 x 1.25 tire but question if my weight could have caused the back wheel to go bad. Do things like that go bad or am I simply too heavy for the set up I have ?
Old 05-16-18, 02:25 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by huckgibbs
Allow me to shine a big bright light on my own ignorance in both cycling and forums.
That being said here goes.
I am 67 years old and weigh in at about 265. I am working on an old Raleigh Technium so I can get back out there and work on my health. I have had a ticking in the rear so I decided I could fix it myself. I found that the old Suntour 6 speed freewheel is all rusted so I want to replace the whole back rim. The bike had a Weinmann m19 rim on it. 700c x 1.25. In my reading I have come to believe that I may do better with a wider tire. Am I confused about this and if not what could I replace this wheel with and what would be a good replacement freewheel that would match the chain rings ?
First, weight without height doesn't tell much. And second, you didn't mention your style of riding. Knowing that can get you the best responses possible.
I personally don't think I have ever had a problem with the 700 x 1.25 tire but question if my weight could have caused the back wheel to go bad. Do things like that go bad or am I simply too heavy for the set up I have ?
Yes.
Old 05-16-18, 06:05 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
First, weight without height doesn't tell much.
How does height impact the rear wheel with regard to weight bearing durability?

Dan

Old 05-16-18, 06:21 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by _ForceD_

How does height impact the rear wheel with regard to weight bearing durability?

Dan

It has no bearing whatsoever.
Old 05-16-18, 07:53 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm a Clydesdale who has been in the 205-240 lbs range in the last few years. I also have restored several vintage bikes, including a 1971 Peugeot PX10.

Vintage hubs that utilize freewheels are less than ideal for cyclist who are more than 240 lbs. The bearings are positioned near the center of the hub and the axle is cantilevered. This can cause bent axles. Modern wheelsets with cassettes reduce the cantilever on the axle and are much stronger.

I would consider a new wheelset, see: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=235_242&products_id=4610

You will be able to combine this with a 7 or 8 speed cassette, either will work with the shifters and derailleurs on your bike. The spacing of the rear hub is 130mm. Your bike probably has 126mm spacing. The 130mm wide hub will fit the rear dropouts without modification if you have a steel frame, but you will need to pull the rear dropouts apart a few mm each time you install the wheel.

Your Raleigh will probably fit a 700x32. A few pictures of the bike with some details of the brakes visible would help.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-16-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
700x1.25....... just to be clear.... at least to me, this is a 32 x 622 tire?

Not sure what your real question is. But you talk about reading some and that can be dangerous. The wider tire thing seems to be getting back under control, but for a while, people were using some studies on rolling resistance and equating width and contact patch and tire pressure which resulted in a facet saying if lowering my pressure a few pounds is good, then lowering it a lot is better. Likewise others that said if a 25 mm wide tire is better than a 23 mm tire then a 40 mm tire is great.

What is it you are trying to solve by changing tire width? I've seen much heavier people on much narrower tires. Old bike components eventually wear out.
Old 05-16-18, 12:35 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
In any event, when you start looking for a wheel, check your LBS for take-offs from new bikes---often a deal to be found. Check your axle/frame width. I have 28s on one bike and 32s on the other...both ride and hold up good.
Old 05-16-18, 12:51 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
It has no bearing whatsoever.
No wonder it makes noise.
Old 05-16-18, 01:54 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I have had a ticking in the rear so I decided I could fix it myself. I found that the old Suntour 6 speed freewheel is all rusted so I want to replace the whole back rim. The bike had a Weinmann m19 rim on it. 700c x 1.25. In my reading I have come to believe that I may do better with a wider tire. Am I confused about this and if not what could I replace this wheel with and what would be a good replacement freewheel that would match the chain rings ?
If you're sure you want to stay with this bike, I'd get a whole new (or used) wheel. You need a freewheel hub, any 6-speed freewheel, a strong rim, and 36 spokes. A wider tire might be more comfortable but it's not going to make your wheel any stronger.

But the modern stuff is really good and more fun and not that expensive... you deserve a new bike - check out what the bike store has.
Old 05-16-18, 02:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts

If your bike looks kinda like this, it is pretty cool. If you are certain it is the freewheel that is shot, replace it with a new one. (IRD). But first try a few drops of oil on its face and spin it some till it soaks in. It might not be so bad internally and have many miles left to go.

Go visit the Classic and Vintage sub forum for ideas regarding upgrades. It might not need much. Ride that bike and reward yourself with new parts or a new bike when you are not a clydesdale. Getting stronger and lighter at the same time is win-win.

Last edited by Classtime; 05-16-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 01:28 AM
huckgibbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, thats my bike in a different blue color scheme. I love it and while everybody says its too big for me, I find it very comfortable. I got a new freewheel today but it will take me a while as I am cleaning and replacing almost everything on it. It was stored on my back porch for the last couple of years and I am pretty down about the shape I find it in now. I have a lot of work in front of me to decide what to replace and what to clean/polish and what is best to polish with. I will not let this bike get in this shape again.

Casey
Old 05-18-18, 09:50 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Yep, thats my bike in a different blue color scheme. I love it and while everybody says its too big for me, I find it very comfortable. I got a new freewheel today but it will take me a while as I am cleaning and replacing almost everything on it. It was stored on my back porch for the last couple of years and I am pretty down about the shape I find it in now. I have a lot of work in front of me to decide what to replace and what to clean/polish and what is best to polish with. I will not let this bike get in this shape again.

Casey
I am also what is considered a Clyde. I would not worry about what others say about the size if it fits you in the traditional way. I had stopped riding for years, but after I retired a wanted to get back on the bike. I had been riding a 57cm 1973 Fuji, but it felt too large after 42 years and after a year of resumed riding, was getting hard to find good 27" tires, so I decided to get a new steel bike. I also learned my height had dropped an inch since my college days. When I bought a new bike 3 years ago, the shop initially tried to get me on a 52cm frame. I felt like my head was over the handlebars and front wheelhub and I was all scrunched up. I asked for a 54 or 55. I did the standover test (pubic bone height) and found that a 55 was fine. The sales guy was saying it was too big, but the owner came over and asked what I was riding and wanted and said a 55 was fine for a traditional or "French fit." I also ride with the handlebars and seat at about the same level. Bike fitting is often a matter of style and now the style is a small frame and a long seat post. Take a look at new bikes and vintage bikes photos and you will see what I mean.

For a polish, try Flitz. It is great on chrome and alloy. I polished up a set old allow rims and then carnauba waxed them. I then used lacquer thinner to remove the wax from the braking surfaces, followed by Windex. Rims are smooth, slick, and protected on the waxed areas and the braking surfaces are bare and clean.
Old 05-18-18, 08:25 PM
huckgibbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bill, that is probably the most helpful response I have received so far. I have decided to just go with what I am comfortable with and enjoy the ride. Is the Flitz good for the cranks and the chain rings as well ? I keep pointing out that I am new to both the forum experience and the bike rebuild experience. Right now I am trying to get my Raleigh Technium ready to ride and a Specialized Alley (1993 or 94 ) ready to sell. I will quit claiming to be new to this as soon as one of them is on the road and completely ride-able.
Thanks for the tips.

Casey
Old 05-20-18, 07:30 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

WIth Flitz, you have to determine if the crank is polished or anodized. It is most likely anodized if Japanese. Flitz is OK if you do not over do it. Anodizing is hard and should be OK, but test first Also, some cranks that look polished are clear coated and Flitz might be hard on the clearcoat. I would try first with soapy water, and/or automotive alloy wheel cleaner. Research the alloy wheel cleaner as some are harsher than others. Read carefully to see if they are OK for anodized wheels and/or clearcoated wheels.

IF the alloy is actually pitted, I would just clean it up and wax any non-braking surfaces to prevent further pitting. I also recommend you ask in the Classic and Vintage forum as some of the members there have much more than my limited experience..

I also have no experience with black components so my advice applies to silver components..
Old 05-22-18, 12:55 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
A couple of us guys have ‘89 Technium PRE’s. You have a decent vintage bike that will serve you well. Have a great summer!
Old 05-23-18, 12:00 PM
Bill in VA

Thanks Bill, that is probably the most helpful response I have received so far. I have decided to just go with what I am comfortable with and enjoy the ride. Is the Flitz good for the cranks and the chain rings as well ? I keep pointing out that I am new to both the forum experience and the bike rebuild experience. Right now I am trying to get my Raleigh Technium ready to ride and a Specialized Alley (1993 or 94 ) ready to sell. I will quit claiming to be new to this as soon as one of them is on the road and completely ride-able.
Thanks for the tips.

Casey
Here is an article about Vintage vs: Modern Fit. https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2017...odern-fit.html
Old 05-23-18, 12:52 PM
comfortlynumb85

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I too am a Clyd. Please consider joining us at our next meeting. They are hosted every Thursday at your local church.
Old 05-24-18, 03:50 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Been called the back end of a Clyde before.................LOL
Old 05-25-18, 12:37 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I got to within 9 pounds of not being a Clydes any longer. Several trips to pastry shops now have me safely in the Clydes range again! Of course 5 months and 2 surgeries and no exercise at all helped as well. This aging crap is tough.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-25-18, 06:02 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I got to within 9 pounds of not being a Clydes any longer. Several trips to pastry shops now have me safely in the Clydes range again! Of course 5 months and 2 surgeries and no exercise at all helped as well. This aging crap is tough.
I know you know better than that. This ^ is a functions of willpower. NOT one of exercise. or aging.
Old 05-26-18, 07:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Willpower..... I guess that's okay if you need or want to deny yourself of treats. But one of the reasons I ride is so I can have some treats more often and not have to stick to just the healthy nutritious options I'd be limited too if I just sat on my duffer all day relying on willpower to get me through.