Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tektro R559 Issues/Questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 11:09 PM
chris3928

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just swapped out the Shimano V-brakes that came with my bike (a flat bar hybrid) to Tektro R559 brakes to complete its conversion to a drop bar bike. I also replaced the brake levers and shifters with with Shimano Tourney ST-A073 3x7 ‘brifters’. I’ve run into a few issues with the brakes:

1. These are the old style/nutted version of the brakes. They came with 2 contoured washers for each brake; however, I was only able to use one due to the bolts not being long enough. So, I have the contoured washer between the brakes and frame and the thin, flat washer it also came with between the nut and the frame. Is this adequate or do I need to do something else to ensure the brakes are securely/safely attached to the frame?

2. Even with the R559 brakes being extra long reach, the rear brake pads are barely low enough at their lowest setting to make contact with the rim. They are sitting at the very top of the rim just a hairs breadth away from the tire. Is there anything I can do to get them lower? I’ve seen it suggested to file out the arms until the pads can be low enough, but I would rather not do this if at all possible.

3. With the brakes adjusted to the best of my ability after watching multiple videos, the braking power is much less than the original V-brakes provided. Does this have to do with poor adjustment? Low quality pads? The rear brake pads not being low enough on the rim? Would mini-v brakes work with ‘brifters’ and offer better braking power?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!
Old 07-18-18, 06:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
1- Yes, as long as the caliper doesn't come loose the nut only against the crown should be fine. Check periodically.

2- Cut/grind the top edge of the pads to better clear the tire. There are off set pad/mounting stud type pads out there, like a drop bolt but built into the pads.

3- You've got the calipers set at their worst/least leverage so no surprise that they feel less strong compared to a well matched linier system did. Personally I don't like mini v brakes. The trade off of too close to the rim pad rub and lever bottoming out is one I dislike. Andy
Old 07-18-18, 05:43 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have R559 brakes on a bike. V-brakes are much stronger feeling.

I would have changed the brakes to cantis instead of R559 given that you have the posts on the fork and frame already.

https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Oryx-F.../dp/B002EW8NDS
or
https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-CR720-.../dp/B001C4PQ7U

AND
https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Alloy-.../dp/B01ATZFQ2W

either will provide much stronger braking than the R559 and both take V-brake pads, so they are much easier to set up than post style cantis. I have to admit that I am fond of post style cantis. And that I find that V-brakes are by far the easiest to set up.
Old 07-18-18, 06:01 PM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I recall correctly, mini-v brakes require the same pull as road calipers, which is why they were often used on some early DIY cyclocross bikes. So that's an option. Cantilevers are also an option, and that's why you'd also see those on DIY cyclocross bikes, but I personally do not like them. Too finicky and hard for me to get adjusted just right. Another option is to use your old v-brakes with a set of Problem Solvers Travel Agents. They will allow you to use road brake levers with v-brakes. The setup is kind of a pain though, and you have to account for some of the stretch that will happen on a new cable, but they do work great once you have them in place and set up correctly.
Old 07-23-18, 06:37 PM
chris3928

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Tektro R559 just don’t have any room for adjustment and the braking power is pitiful. So my next step is to see if Tektro 984 brakes will work... they are technically BMX brakes, but short pull and they have the proper reach I need. If they don’t work they go back to the store and I try mini v brakes (probably Tektro 926). Last resort after all that will be problem solver travel agents as they actually end up being the most expensive option. Beauty of Amazon prime is returns are easy!