Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

104-107 Heat ruining training

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 11:26 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts

I haven’t put the usual miles in due to excessive heat. I get some early morning rides but I’m not a morning person at all Being a night owl makes early morning workouts a buzz kill. There isn’t much I can do about the weather so I guess I will just gut out it for now.
Old 07-19-18, 12:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Last summer I worked carefully on heat adaptation so I was able to ride all summer, even in mid-day heat.

But I missed my window for heat adaptation this spring with an injury, off the bike nearly 6 weeks. I did a lot of walking outdoors in the heat so it helped a little.

And I've been on the indoor trainer for a couple of weeks. I usually turn off the a/c so the room gets up to 80F. Might help a bit, but not for 100+F degree rides.

I've confined my outdoor rides the past couple of weeks to after dark. Still nearly 90F but that's a big difference compared with 100+F in the sun. Even then I can tell I'm not quite adapted enough for rides longer than 20 miles in the sun. Tuesday night I did 40 minutes on the trainer to warm up then aimed for 20 miles outdoors after midnight. I cut it short at 16 miles when my body said 'nuff. Wiped out and achy all Wednesday.
Old 07-19-18, 01:52 PM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a replacement, of course, but may Zwift would help a bit?
Old 07-19-18, 02:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Skin-tight wear on upper body a must. Just sweat and drink plenty of water. You're sweat cooled and the sweat has to be in the wind to evaporate quickly enough to do any good. You won't be able to keep up with the water loss on the bike. You can only pass about 1 liter/hour across the stomach wall and you'll sweat more than that. That means stopping every couple hours somewhere cool and drinking water until you feel better. Endurolytes help a lot. Try one/hour unless they make you too thirsty, in which case lay off them for a couple hours. But electrolytes are critical. Easy to wind up subject of a 911 call. If you stop sweating, you are really screwed, find shelter and drink more water immediately.

However! Less than normal riding in the heat will have a great effect on your fitness, probably more than your normal riding in normal temps would have. So do it, do it right, and don't worry about it.
Old 07-19-18, 03:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Modern LED lights have revolutionized my riding.
Old 07-19-18, 03:44 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Went for a 28 mile spin this morning got back by 10:30 am. I have 75 miles for the week so I’m on pace for my normal mileage ( 125-150 avg ) just have to ride early. I ride with a gallon of ice water on my back so hydration is covered. Every summer I manage a bout or two of heat sickness but I don’t have to be out in it anymore so I take a cue from my cattle the cows stay in the shade but all the humans are out in the sun I just have to make sure I don’t indulge in too many when I throw some chickens in the smoker once the temperature gets down to a cool 99. My friends from the north say
you don’t have to shovel heat and you won’t freeze to your mailbox. I guzzle Powerade Zeros all day then regular Powerade after a ride. Yes Texas in July then August and September
Old 07-19-18, 03:58 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have a light system for my bike and for a time I would ride at night. Too many crazy deer and the rattlesnakes especially on the gravel roads and the drunk hillbillys made we think it over. A rattler almost got me as well as a deer blinded in the lights and I probably know who the drunk hillbilly is
Old 07-19-18, 04:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Training in extreme weather conditions either very hot or very cold can be very beneficial for your fitness but you need to approach it the right way...Do enough but don't over cook yourself but doing too much when it's hot and humid... Personally I have an easier time dealing with very cold weather than with very hot humid weather. We've had a couple of days here with humidex of 113 F and it's hard to deal with it. I still workout but take it a little easier.
Old 07-19-18, 11:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I maybe should have also mentioned that I just did 115 miles and 7300', much of it over 100°. Not a problem and I'm not heat adapted yet. Just a matter of being content with going slower and knowing how to handle heat.
Old 07-20-18, 02:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I rode 40 very casual miles Thursday with the temp ranging from 107-103. Some sources claimed the peak was 109.

That was my first ride this summer on a really hot day. Felt dizzy the whole first 10 miles. Finally felt better and the next 30 went okay, all things considered. I kept the effort very low, around 13 mph average.

All my indoor training, even with the a/c off to get the temp up to 80, didn't really help. Heat adaptation takes time.

I've ridden a few times recently at night when the temp was in the 90s, sometimes near 100. Literally a night and day difference. 100 in daylight feels much hotter than 100 at night.
Old 07-20-18, 02:25 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This.

If day rides bother you just switch to night. That's what I did when I used to work the graveyard shift. I purchased the biggest, brightest, whitest most spectacular lighting I could afford just for that purpose. I also purchase reflective gear and apparel and the biggest problem I got was from the lead cars slowing down due to being bedazzled and wanting to gaze at all the reflections.
Old 07-20-18, 09:24 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early start doesn't work so well for me, I'm not a morning person and trying to do early rides on a regular basis means missing out on too much sleep. I've also found that I prefer the higher temps later in the day as opposed to the higher humidity first thing in the morning. I've been doing most of my recent long weekend rides solo, starting around 10:30 - 11:00 and finishing around 2:00. Yeah, it's hot but as long as the humidity isn't too high you get a pretty good cooling effect from sweating. Last weekend I did my local group ride with 7:30am start, and the humidity was so oppressive; temp wasn't as high but I felt much hotter just because I was drenched and sweat wasn't evaporating.

The trick with the heat is you just have to gradually increase your exposure over time so that your body can adapt. (And once you do, there are performance benefits that carry over even to ridig in cooler weather).
Old 07-20-18, 09:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Besides heat adaptation and the usual advice about hydration, I'd also recommend switching to effectively insulated water bottles. Which rules out all ordinary plastic cycling bottles, whether insulated or not. They can't keep water cool long enough in 100+F heat.

On Thursday's ride (temp ranged from 108 peak according to local weather, to 103 by the time I got home after 9 pm), I carried:
  • One plastic cycling bottle, half filled with frozen water mixed with electrolytes to start and topped off with cold water.
  • One stainless double wall insulated bottle, filled the same as above -- half filled with frozen electrolyte mix, then topped off with cold water just before leaving home.
  • A Mylar bag filled with frozen plain water.
Results:
  • The plastic bottle was thawed within 15 minutes and too hot to drink within an hour. I dumped and refilled it with cool water a few times at the many rest stops along a 40 mile ride, but the water quickly became too hot to drink. I just used it to gargle a few times.
  • The Mylar bag of frozen water stayed cool for more than an hour, in my center rear jersey pocket. I carry it for cooling my back, neck and face, and for wetting a bandanna to wipe my face and neck.
  • The stainless thermos stayed chilled -- not just cool but cold -- for the five hours I was gone. There was still a bit of ice in the bottle when I got home, and I'd already topped it off a few times with cool or tepid water.
I used electrolytes in every refill, more in one ride than I usually do in an entire week of summer rides. But I'd never ridden for hours in temps well above 100F before. And I actually felt great after I got home and cooled off. After an hour I was hungry and walked another mile to get some tacos. In previous summer rides when I was fully heat adapted I was too exhausted to eat, let alone walk a mile for tacos. Having cold water and plenty of electrolytes really seemed to help.

Based on that, the single best thing I could do is skip my plastic bottles and just carry two stainless insulated thermoses half filled with frozen electrolyte mix. It'll be heavier, but in 100+ temps I'm not pushing for any speed records. I'm just looking to finish a ride without passing out or regretting having ridden that day.
Old 07-22-18, 10:27 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

106 here today forecast 109 tomorrow ( Monday ) had to work some cattle so I was out in it today. Drank a lot of water and Powerade but slammed a few beers this evening with chicken fajitas.
Old 07-23-18, 07:27 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by jsk
Early start doesn't work so well for me, I'm not a morning person and trying to do early rides on a regular basis means missing out on too much sleep. I've also found that I prefer the higher temps later in the day as opposed to the higher humidity first thing in the morning. I've been doing most of my recent long weekend rides solo, starting around 10:30 - 11:00 and finishing around 2:00. Yeah, it's hot but as long as the humidity isn't too high you get a pretty good cooling effect from sweating. Last weekend I did my local group ride with 7:30am start, and the humidity was so oppressive; temp wasn't as high but I felt much hotter just because I was drenched and sweat wasn't evaporating.

The trick with the heat is you just have to gradually increase your exposure over time so that your body can adapt. (And once you do, there are performance benefits that carry over even to ridig in cooler weather).
That, or you could die of heat stroke. There is a limit to how much heat you can take.
Old 07-23-18, 07:50 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
“The humidity was so oppressive; temp wasn't as high but I felt much hotter just because I was drenched and sweat wasn't evaporating.”

That is the everyday issue here in central Florida !
Old 07-23-18, 08:39 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Steeljag
“The humidity was so oppressive; temp wasn't as high but I felt much hotter just because I was drenched and sweat wasn't evaporating.”

That is the everyday issue here in central Florida !
It's an everyday issue in all of Florida really, Come to think of it, in all of the southern states this time of year. That humidity can suck the energy out of you in no-time flat just standing still. I recall just sitting outside at 3:00 am with the fan blowing and still sweating bullets.

That humidity can make your ride more misery than energizing. I can recall times when the sweat would constantly just drip down into my eyes, usually in the worst possible traffic situation. Not fun.

Most road group and cyclist have adapted to getting out at the crack of dawn (its still humid) and getting their workouts in early. Thinking about riding in the heat/humidity of the noon day is just suicide. Not to mention in timing with the afternoon thunderstorms.
Old 07-23-18, 10:02 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
That, or you could die of heat stroke. There is a limit to how much heat you can take.
Thanks for that, captain obvious. Nobody said there aren't limits, but that doesn't contradict anything I said.

Most road group and cyclist have adapted to getting out at the crack of dawn (its still humid) and getting their workouts in early. Thinking about riding in the heat/humidity of the noon day is just suicide. Not to mention in timing with the afternoon thunderstorms.
Here in Houston, humidity starts out highest at sunrise, often 90+ %, but by the hottest part of the afternoon, humidity might only be 50%, or even lower depending how high the temp gets. I usually do my weekday workouts around 5:00pm, hottest part of the day temperature-wise, but also the lowest humidity of the day. Humidity can still be pretty high when it's only in the low 90's, but when high-pressure pushes the temps up to the high 90's/low 100's, humidity will be much lower. I personally prefer 100 deg and 40% humidity to 87 deg and 92% humidity, because sweating actually works to cool your body while riding.
Old 07-23-18, 05:36 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

109 here today got a 24 mile ride in this morning so I beat the heat. Feels good around 9:30-10:30 after that early morning humidity burns off.
Old 07-24-18, 03:14 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I'll have a 15 mile commute home in 103 heat today. My approach is fill 2 large water bottles (plastic, uninsulated), and have just a bit of warm to hot water in the second one when I get home. I don't have a problem drinking warm to hot water, it's still water and I need it. I could stop a couple times to get cooler water, but I'd rather press on and be done with it.
Old 07-30-18, 04:56 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Skin-tight wear on upper body a must. Just sweat and drink plenty of water. You're sweat cooled and the sweat has to be in the wind to evaporate quickly enough to do any good. You won't be able to keep up with the water loss on the bike. You can only pass about 1 liter/hour across the stomach wall and you'll sweat more than that. That means stopping every couple hours somewhere cool and drinking water until you feel better. Endurolytes help a lot. Try one/hour unless they make you too thirsty, in which case lay off them for a couple hours. But electrolytes are critical. Easy to wind up subject of a 911 call. If you stop sweating, you are really screwed, find shelter and drink more water immediately.

However! Less than normal riding in the heat will have a great effect on your fitness, probably more than your normal riding in normal temps would have. So do it, do it right, and don't worry about it.
Called Hammer Nutrition and they recommend 1 tab of Endurolytes for every 50 lbs.of weight. I am tall and weigh right at 200, so I take 4 every hour. It definitely helps.