Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Never fails to surprise me the insights from Myfitness pal

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 03:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked 2,860 Times in 1,556 Posts

LIke many of us here, weight is a day to day thing. we all know the basics, that is easy, the challenge is applying them consistently.

I have been off and on using myfitness pal to record what I am eating.....even though I know I use it consistently and I lose weight.

After a great weekend (40 mile ride, one mile swim) of exercise, I have started again and as usual it is the little insights that it gives me that will add up.

Today it was: I got soup at lunch......have to guess at content a bit, but that is ok better to guess than not record. I also got 3 packs of the oyster crackers. I was surprised to see that each was 70 cal so 210 in total.
The insight is that it will be no problem in the future to skip the crackers....simple way to avoid some calories without any deprivation
knowledge is power

that's it folks

Old 09-10-18, 04:48 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
the other issue with that combo is the sodium. Soup is notoriously high in sodium, and along with the crackers, you probably had more than your RDA of sodium. ( i am a HUGE lover of soup, so i have experienced this many times ).

I am like you when it comes to MyFitnessPal. I’m currently not tracking, but i need to get my act together. I’m always amazed at some things that i don’t think are “too bad” for me end up crushing my allowances for the day!!
Old 09-10-18, 08:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn6870
I’m always amazed at some things that i don’t think are “too bad” for me end up crushing my allowances for the day!!

That app app has crushed my soul so many times. It’s a good app but it’s hard to swallow the truth of it. Food is soooo good.
Old 09-11-18, 06:42 PM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
I'm a big believer in the app, it helps me when I'm serious but in the end it's me that has to do it. It always comes back to us, we are the only ones that can do it but no doubt Myfitnesspal is a great aid.
Old 09-12-18, 11:59 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
MFP helped me to lose some weight, and it's a good app. I just found it a royal pain to have to log everything I eat, and often I didn't know actual or approximate calorie content. So part of the time I was guessing, trying to err on the side of caution by rounding up. I eventually got tired of it and stopped using it. I haven't gained anything back and am still maintaining where I am, which is what I was doing for about a month before I stopped using it.

But yes, it is a real eye opener when it comes to calorie content of food. If at all possible best to avoid all the carbs and sugar you can and you should be OK.
Old 09-13-18, 09:42 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
thing that gets me about MFP is, how many variances there are on certain food items..
You might enter a certain food item, and have ten entries to pick from to log the calories..
Old 09-13-18, 10:23 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
thing that gets me about MFP is, how many variances there are on certain food items..
You might enter a certain food item, and have ten entries to pick from to log the calories..
That's when you just pick the one with fewest calories!
Old 09-13-18, 10:40 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Long time MFP user here. I completely agree with the OP, I've been shocked many times at the caloric content of some "harmless" additions to a meal!

I've had great success with the app and got my weight down to my target a couple of years ago and I've been on maintenance since then.

I don't normally track any more unless my weight creeps up above my comfort zone. When that happens I go back to tracking until I'm back in range. And looking at the scale over the past week means that I'm back to tracking for a time...
Old 09-13-18, 10:42 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That's when you just pick the one with fewest calories!