Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I want other people to enjoy cycling.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I want other people to enjoy cycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 08:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Maybe 50+ will take me as an honorary. My hair is thinning, my beard is gray, and I’m in the late stage of denial about the early stages of arthritis.
Don't know about now, but in the olden days of about six years ago the Kool Kidz- of 50+were real big on babbling.
Old 12-05-18, 10:20 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Don't know about now, but in the olden days of about six years ago the Kool Kidz- of 50+were real big on babbling.
Your post count suggests you’re not so bad at babbling yourself. I’ll go check out 50+ if you’ll be my babbling buddy over there.
Old 12-05-18, 10:23 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Your post count suggests you’re not so bad at babbling yourself. I’ll go check out 50+ if you’ll be my babbling buddy over there.
Actually, if you were 50+ 6 years ago - my dad is 58. We’re estranged - I could use a good father figure. Whaddya say, pops? Hey, at least you’re into bikes.
Old 12-05-18, 10:28 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Actually, if you were 50+ 6 years ago - my dad is 58. We’re estranged - I could use a good father figure. Whaddya say, pops? Hey, at least you’re into bikes.
On the other hand, he did used to complain that I’d talk too much. But he always told me as a kid if you can’t dazzle ‘em with brilliance, baffle ‘em with bull****.
Old 12-05-18, 10:31 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

On the other hand, he did used to complain that I’d talk too much. But he always told me as a kid if you can’t dazzle ‘em with brilliance, baffle ‘em with bull****.
His solution to a kid with too many questions was a hickory board. If he sounds like your type of people, PM me and I’ll hook you guys up.
Old 12-05-18, 11:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

JimfromBoston would be your ideal babbling buddy. You both seem to share a need for non stop quoting and repetition of your own previously posted pearls of wisdom.
Old 12-06-18, 12:47 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

JimfromBoston would be your ideal babbling buddy. You both seem to share a need for non stop quoting and repetition of your own previously posted pearls of wisdom.
Evidently you at least find it entertaining otherwise you’d not keep coming back to my thread. I aim to please you. I wouldn’t consider my babbling wisdom, but since you do, I’ll keep repeating it. Wisdom is best shared, no?
Old 12-06-18, 07:26 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

I could use a good father figure. Whaddya say, pops?
Old 12-06-18, 07:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Evidently you at least find it entertaining otherwise you’d not keep coming back to my thread. I aim to please you. I wouldn’t consider my babbling wisdom, but since you do, I’ll keep repeating it. Wisdom is best shared, no?
I have frequently posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972...

I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:

• the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.[but]
    Originally Posted by Stun
    My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
    Originally Posted by chefisaac
    LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-06-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-06-18, 08:56 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts

I find this thread entertaining and I don't even commute by bike. My motor commuting could be anywhere from 20 to 70 miles each way, depending on jobsite. @Phamilton, I wouldn't mind crossing paths, I have worked in Ft Wayne in the distant past, but I don't venture to far from home while riding, there are plenty of interconnecting pathways down here.
Old 12-06-18, 10:47 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I find this thread entertaining and I don't even commute by bike. My motor commuting could be anywhere from 20 to 70 miles each way, depending on jobsite. @Phamilton, I wouldn't mind crossing paths, I have worked in Ft Wayne in the distant past, but I don't venture to far from home while riding, there are plenty of interconnecting pathways down here.
If you find yourself in the Fort and wanna chat bikes, look me up. I’ll buy any BF member a cup of coffee. I don’t drink anymore but there are a few good coffee shops, one particular favorite right along the greenway that also has a full bar and really good food. Google Old Crown Coffee Roasters. 20 minute ride from my house.
Old 12-06-18, 10:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You might find the Blogger's Forum - Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links - an appropriate place for sharing and repeating your "wisdom".

https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s-forum/
Old 12-06-18, 11:18 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
You might find the Blogger's Forum - Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links - an appropriate place for sharing and repeating your "wisdom".

Old 12-06-18, 11:25 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

This thread isn’t a blog, and you’re the one who called it wisdom, not me. Have you ever thought about being a mod? Could be a really good fit for you. You’d have a lot more control over the things people say and where they say them. And it’d be endlessly entertaining. You, like anybody else on BF, may report my post if you find that it’s off topic or offensive, and a mod can delete it or move it as necessary. But the sentiment that I want other people to enjoy cycling, the frustration with cyclists cutting down other cyclists or groups of cyclists, and the other content in this thread provided by myself and other bike commuters about cycling seems pretty well-placed in the commuting sub. If you’re still taking something else from my sentiments and/or the thread in general, that’s quite literally your problem.
Old 12-06-18, 11:32 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

This thread isn’t a blog, and you’re the one who called it wisdom, not me. Have you ever thought about being a mod? Could be a really good fit for you. You’d have a lot more control over the things people say and where they say them. And it’d be endlessly entertaining. You, like anybody else on BF, may report my post if you find that it’s off topic or offensive, and a mod can delete it or move it as necessary. But the sentiment that I want other people to enjoy cycling, the frustration with cyclists cutting down other cyclists or groups of cyclists, and the other content in this thread provided by myself and other bike commuters about cycling seems pretty well-placed in the commuting sub. If you’re still taking something else from my sentiments and/or the thread in general, that’s quite literally your problem.
Somebody earlier on, I don’t remember who, mentioned it as a point of pride that they’d never blocked anybody on BF. If pro-cycling talk gets under anybody’s skin, maybe it’s time to consider using the ignore feature. I’ve never used it myself on BF but I’ve blocked people on Facebook. But frankly if pro-cycling talk gets under somebody’s skin, maybe BF isn’t the best place to find entertainment. I can think of at least a few members among the thousands here who are pro-cycling.
Old 12-06-18, 12:22 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Bike Forums seems like a great place to convert people to cycling. Any luck here so far?
Old 12-06-18, 12:39 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Bike Forums seems like a great place to convert people to cycling. Any luck here so far?
Old 12-06-18, 12:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
A disciple asked: How should we treat others?

The teacher replied: There are no others.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-06-18, 01:01 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Round and round we go. Cycling is an activity, not a religion. Someone with more time on their hands than I have could have a lot of fun satirizing it as a religion though. Doing anything with a bike doesn’t require renouncing anything. There’s no conversion. It doesn’t require a change in anybody’s existing belief structure to ride a bike in any fashion or really to do anything with a bike at all.
Old 12-06-18, 01:05 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by noglider
A disciple asked: How should we treat others?

The teacher replied: There are no others.
That’s deep. Sounds like wisdom.
Old 12-06-18, 01:08 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I think that the commuting sub has been picking up lately, I like it.
Old 12-06-18, 01:22 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by acidfast7
I think that the commuting sub has been picking up lately, I like it.
It’s almost entertaining.
Old 12-06-18, 01:27 PM
acidfast7
Banned

It’s almost entertaining.
How'd you end up in Indiana?
Old 12-06-18, 01:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Round and round we go. Cycling is an activity, not a religion. Someone with more time on their hands than I have could have a lot of fun satirizing it as a religion though. Doing anything with a bike doesn’t require renouncing anything. There’s no conversion. It doesn’t require a change in anybody’s existing belief structure to ride a bike in any fashion or really to do anything with a bike at all.
You might get some interesting feedback if you reposted this on the LCF sub-forum.
Old 12-06-18, 01:38 PM
acidfast7
Banned

You might get some interesting feedback if you reposted this on the LCF sub-forum.
https://www.bikeforums.net/living-ca...l#post20693780

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.