Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Mid Atlantic area: Jacksonville, NC area ride

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 05:11 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts

Hello all,

Recently a buddy of mine from BF and I did a ride here where I live and he grew up. Ken lives up in Kingston and I am here in Jacksonville, home of Camp Lejeune.

We we had a great time because of the trails, quiet roads and fantastic weather that day! We both think that with the many BF members who are near this area would enjoy a group ride and would like to work to get this started.

Ken drove down from Kingston and arrived at my house for homebase. This allowed mechanics stand and tools, facilities and the usual part swap that goes on after a ride.

we started out shortly after 10. Already the sun was clinging the temps to the high 60’s, in January! Because Ken lived here long ago, he wanted to see some of the changes that have taken place. I had a few to show him. Our Greenway was the big one. We only were out for a few hours but had a great time.

It would be great to see other areas in this part of NC. I am lousy at pic taking but here are a few from the ride.

Our million dollar bridge

Long boardwalk over environmental area

My ride

Ken says his engineer brother has to see it!

The greenway followed the old rail line and cuts right through Jax
Old 01-13-19, 12:55 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
^^^ It was a great day wasn't it ! Law & I both admire how often the guys in the Pacific NW get together and ride and think it'd be cool to meet other BF members in eastern NC, or even further out. We're into C&V but have modern bikes as well and we could both hang with a 16 mph steady pace, but we like "touring" the local scene as well at a more relaxed pace, so we can adapt to most any style. Jacksonville has several things going for it as probably does Wilmington or Greenville or anywhere on the Crystal Coast so LETS RIDE and get to know each other. The Triangle is cool as well.

Some things J'ville has going for it are :

1) the Camp Johnson Memorial Park and greenway that has a Vietnam Memorial, The Beirut Memorial, a 911 Memorial and the newest tribute to the Montford Point Marine Memorial recognizing the 1st African American training facility in the Marine Corps. Some info: https://jacksonvillenc.gov/644/Lejeu...nway-and-Trail

2) The worlds oldest operating USO an the New River riverfront
3) A downtown area with very little traffic on weekends....Law and I rode middle of the street side-by-side
4) Law's hospitality and knowledge of the best way to get around town
5) Good coffee, and being a military town I'm sure we could find many other beverage options if desired

So let's try to get a group ride up this spring BF guys & gals !! PM Law (3speedslow) or myself (Deal4Fuji) if interested. More pics:

Vintage steel meets hallowed steel, Law & I at the 911 monument.

World's oldest continually operating USO

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 01-13-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 04:48 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Great thread and pictures guys! As a former Jarhead I spent some quality time on Court Street between overseas deployments; I remember the USO as well. There used to be a pizza place at the end of Court Street, Tino's maybe? I'd love to bring a bike down there, get a tour of how the place looks now and meet some Bike Forum members. I met 3 just this past weekend and as I suspected, they're great people.

Edited to add:

Other places I remember; a fish place that looked like a boat on Route 17, a drive in on Route 17 near Geiger?, the bus station on the corner of Court and New Bridge Street, the clubs on the other side of the tracks down Court Street. It's been decades and maybe my memory is playing tricks on me or mixing things up. I for sure remember that the jail was only about a 1 block walk from Court Street
Old 02-08-19, 08:32 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Great thread and pictures guys! As a former Jarhead I spent some quality time on Court Street between overseas deployments; I remember the USO as well. There used to be a pizza place at the end of Court Street, Tino's maybe? I'd love to bring a bike down there, get a tour of how the place looks now and meet some Bike Forum members. I met 3 just this past weekend and as I suspected, they're great people.

Edited to add:

Other places I remember; a fish place that looked like a boat on Route 17, a drive in on Route 17 near Geiger?, the bus station on the corner of Court and New Bridge Street, the clubs on the other side of the tracks down Court Street. It's been decades and maybe my memory is playing tricks on me or mixing things up. I for sure remember that the jail was only about a 1 block walk from Court Street
Well come on down nomadmax !! I'll bet there are quite a few ex-Marines who remember J'ville, I know RobbieTunes does. I grew up 2 blocks from Court Street in it's heyday and have fond memories such as being rocked out of the bathtub at age 10 or so by a bomb blowing up a liberal anti-war book store on Court St. never a dull moment.

a fish place that looked like a boat on Route 17 - The Ark and it's still open !
a drive in on Route 17 near Geiger? - The Starlight (specializing in "Art" movies) is gone as are all the others on LeJeune Blvd.

Court St. has been rerouted and no bars or the bus station remain...a shell of it's former self but it looks good and is respectable now with mostly law offices. I used to love riding through Court St. with all the flashing lights and activity on my 1st real bike, the Fuji Supreme taking it all in -- riding all over downtown, Wilson Bay Park, New River, Circle Drive, Elizabeth Lake, Northwoods, and this past ride with Law going through other neighborhoods and areas that were new to me.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 02-08-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 08:49 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Well come on down nomadmax !! I'll bet there are quite a few ex-Marines who remember J'ville, I know RobbieTunes does. I grew up 2 blocks from Court Street in it's heyday and have fond memories such as being rocked out of the bathtub at age 10 or so by a bomb blowing up a liberal anti-war book store on Court St. never a dull moment.

a fish place that looked like a boat on Route 17 - The Ark and it's still open !
a drive in on Route 17 near Geiger? - The Starlight (specializing in "Art" movies) is gone as are all the others on LeJeune Blvd.

Court St. has been rerouted and no bars or the bus station remain...a shell of it's former self but it looks good and is respectable now with mostly law offices. I used to love riding through Court St. with all the flashing lights and activity on my 1st real bike, the Fuji Supreme taking it all in -- riding all over downtown, Wilson Bay Park, New River, Circle Drive, Elizabeth Lake, Northwoods, and this past ride with Law going through other neighborhoods and areas that were new to me.
J-Ville was a wide open town, it's probably better the way it is now. Depending on your age, you might have ridden your bike past me 1977-81. I raced my motorcycle out at Costal Plains Dragway as well, Hwy 251 or 256? Get a hold of me when you think ya'll are gonna go for another J-Ville ride, I'd like to see it again and meet you guys. I suspect seeing it by bike would afford me the best view.