Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seeking Parts Recommendations for Vintage Peugeots

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 04:54 PM
velo352

Bikes: Peugeot '74 U08, Peugeot '86 P8, Peugeot '85 P8, Peugeot PX10LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

I have been working to disassemble two vintage bikes ('85 P8 and '86 P6 Iseran).

Looking for some components to purchase.

I am aiming to get some period specific parts of decent quality. They can be used, new, or NOS. I mainly want them to look like they belong on the bike.

Parts needed:

Complete crankset: chain ring, chain, flywheel, crank arms
Pedals
Brake set (I was thinking the 999s)
Brake cables and housing (I know there are a bunch out there, is there a popular one for this level of bike?)
Shifter cables and housing ("see above")
Brake pads
Tires and Tubes (27 x 1/4")

I am new to repairing bikes and so I am not familiar with most of the parts out there or where to buy them. I know ebay, CL, and this forum have a bunch for sale.

I appreciate any type of advice or recommendations.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-19, 05:30 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is a coop near your local? That works really good for me and French parts.
Old 06-22-19, 05:40 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Should you wish to buy new one good source is Mel Pinto Imports (MPI) in Virginia.

In addition co complete components they have a very good selection of small repair parts from France.

-----
Old 06-22-19, 05:59 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
What are you starting with? Maybe you have enough parts to put one together with fresh cables, brake pads, and tires? And after riding that one a bit, for the second one, you can make some informed decisions. Sounds like fun. We need pictures of what you are starting with.

check this guy out: https://johns-recycled-bicycle.blogs...storation.html
He always died a nice job.
Old 06-22-19, 07:50 PM
velo352

Bikes: Peugeot '74 U08, Peugeot '86 P8, Peugeot '85 P8, Peugeot PX10LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Have you checked to see if there is a coop near your local? That works really good for me and French parts.
I have not found a co-op.

Originally Posted by Classtime
What are you starting with? Maybe you have enough parts to put one together with fresh cables, brake pads, and tires? And after riding that one a bit, for the second one, you can make some informed decisions. Sounds like fun. We need pictures of what you are starting with.
The first bike (P8), which is the same bike in that post, I have used for about two years.

It had the original pedals, Kenda tires, Weinmann, not sure about the crank ring but the flywheel is a Shimano, and the chain also not sure.
Old 06-22-19, 11:18 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
The Peugeot experts can chime in but I think by the mid 80s Peugeot had gone to a more standard metric rather than the more proprietary french sizes. Pull your Stem is it marked as 22.2 (Standard) or 22.0 (French) ? if it is standard metic that opens up options and you aren't restricted to quirky French sizing but could also use Vintage Suntour or Shimano parts. I like using vintage stuff but I am more concerned with what works and makes the bike fun/comfortable to ride. I often get a longer stem (Nitto Technomic) wider 44 cm bars (Nitto or Velo Orange) and I do like the chunky feel of Tektro RL340 areo brake levers because that makes the ride more comfortable for me. YMMV, I always recommend doing some basic cleaning and maintenance - make sure the bike shifts and stops, the chain is lubed and the tires are in good shape and then ride it allot and take notice of what works for you /what doesn't, and then do upgrades.

Looking at the catalog (bike boom Peugeot) for the 85 P8 Peugeot was using Shimano RD, FD and Stem shifters Same with the 86 Iseran if they have original wheels you may be limited to the Hellomatic type FW - uses a special tool. I only upgrade the cockpit on my vintage rides now because I have done enough riding to know that stock bars are to low and narrow for me and most old brake hoods are too small to be comfortable on longer rides. Again YMMV.

I highly recommend Sheldon Brown on the web, My Ten Speeds on the web (BF member) RJ the bike Guy on You Tube, Park Tools videos on the web, and I have dog eared a copy of Zinn and the Art of Road bike maintenance in learning how to work on old bikes. I have also noticed there are lots of bike manuals from the 70s and 80s used on Amazon for dirt cheap that could be a reference for you too. Take your time, get some good tools or borrow some, learn from your mistakes, ask questions here and mostly have fun while riding the wheels off those vintage Pugs.
Old 06-22-19, 11:22 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
I usually default towards French components for French C&V bikes, but most, if not all Peugeots built after 1984 were already transitioned over to BSC threading and sizes., so there's more freedom to use other than French threaded and sized components......and other C&Vers will not find it odd that you do not have a "Tout French" Peugeot.