Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Saddle: Why?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Saddle: Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 09:16 AM
willieb

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.) Selle Italia Flite = I consider it perfect and ain't changing it since I rode on it 8.5 hrs for 6gap and when done, my ass was the last thing I was worried about. Plus it came on the bike.

Here's an in-yo-face saddle shot https://www.bashlor.com/madone/images/IMG_2288.JPG
Old 03-15-07, 09:59 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
I really don't have anything to offer in the #1/#2 format of this poll: my bike came stock with a fizik Aliante Sport Mg, and since I have had no problems whatsover with it, I've never bothered trying a different saddle. I simply do not notice that saddle when riding. Every now and then I read about some other super-comfy or super-light saddle & think maybe I ought to give it a shot, but then I think "geez, why tempt fate? If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Watching my wife go through saddle hell has convinced me of the wisdom (or at least the simplicity) of this tact. She went through twelve different saddles in the space of two or three months trying to find one that was tolerable. I have no interest in going through that sort of suffering (and expense) just to find something that might be marginally better.

So if I ever *have* to replace my saddle I'll probably go with some variant of the Aliante.
Old 03-15-07, 10:29 AM
R.A.D.

Bikes: 2002 Colnago Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. GOOD - Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow titanium rails - I have had this saddle for about a week (not harshly tested yet) but it's pretty great so far. I think it will only get better as I dial it in. My a** size is about average I would say. Not small but not big either.

What I like about it:
Real leather: I don't slip around as much as compared to synthetic cover
Gel flow: Not too soft but enough to help with road vibration and wrecked up streets
Crotch notch: I have never had luck with a saddle that did NOT have one, it's not a huge notch but just enough so that circulation isn't inhibited.
Looks: It's pretty. I got it in white and matched the saddle with white bar tape.

2. BAD
- Cannondale stock saddle: I'm not sure what type of saddle this was, but it had the Cannondale logo on it. I really gave the saddle a chance. At first it was awful (completely numb genitalia). I adjusted it over and over again. After a while I got it so that it was bearable. I was convinced that the saddle was dialed in correctly, but it just wasn't ever going to be comfortable. That's when I rolled the dice and decided to try out the flite.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-07, 11:04 AM
eandmwilson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I'm not trying to guilt you Cypress, really. We're just different...you spend big bucks on the bike and skimp on the saddle, I ride ancient history with a saddle that's worth more than the bike.

Seriously, screw the Swallow, I don't see any real added value in that saddle over a Swift, which you can get for less than 2 bills (4 Pete's, Canadian). If my butt were just a little narrower, I'd be using a Swift instead of my Team Pro. If you want to try a Brooks, the Swift would be my recommendation.
The key is to see high wide you @ss dents are. Based on my B17 break in, I would have real trouble going much narrower than the Team Pro.
Old 03-15-07, 11:08 AM
Stallion
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice: Specialized Toupe 143. Very comfortable for me over long distances, no numbing, chaffing or any other problems.

Not nice: Fi:zi:k Arione: Would cause great numbing and discomfort.
Old 03-15-07, 11:44 AM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fave: Specialized Toupe 130. Light and comfy for anything less than 250 kms
Worst ever: Bontrager stock. Can't even train on this saddle, unless you are doing climbing intervals off the saddle all day long.
Old 03-15-07, 12:42 PM
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.Selle Italia Prolink Trans Am (now on my Puegot), and most recently Specialized Toupe 143 (on my fixed)

2. Specialized Avatar GEL (now in a landfill)
Old 05-10-07, 05:17 PM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bump for more input.
Old 05-10-07, 05:22 PM
-VELOCITY-

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks B-17 for me. No pain, no numbness, and the perfect fit for my glutes. I recently did an MS 150 with it and it was very comfortable the whole time.
Last year I had the stock Bontrager saddle and I could barely sit down comfortably for a few days.
Old 05-10-07, 05:26 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle Royal Viper- Came stock on my Giant. Fits me perfectly.

Performance E3- My dad bought one. I tried it on our tandem. Horrible evil a$$ torture device.

-D
Old 05-10-07, 05:30 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Currently Selle Italia SLK. Good amount of flex, enough cush for the sit bones, but just a hair wide which gives me a little excessive chafing on the side after a week of long rides.

2. Fizik Arione. WAY too narrow. Sit bones are too wide so all pressure is straight down the ridgeline. Numbness sets in within 10 minutes.

Also have and may switch back to soon the Specialized Toupe. Went to the SLK just to try something different but think the Toupe nose might be a little narrower to reduce chafing. (both advertise same width)
Old 05-10-07, 05:31 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fizik Arionne
Replaced
Specialized Avatar I think it just wore out after 2 years.
Wost Ever Standard saddle with Tequilo rode it once Now have Fizik tri specific
Old 05-10-07, 05:43 PM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went over a pothole (or manhole cover, don't remember) and heard a loud pop. I thought it was just my saddle flexing and bottoming out on the seatpost. After a few more rides I noticed that my Bikesmart Espresso Race (Selle Italia SLR Gel FLow knock off) was kind of saggy. Sure enough I cracked the plastic on that pothole.

I went and picked up a Specialized Toupe. It's pretty nice. My regular training rides are 40-50 miles (4-5 times a week) and I've since done a century on it as well. Fits good, no awkward taint pressure or anything (but I wouldn't recommend riding it without some good bike shorts if you've got a bony butt).
Old 05-10-07, 05:45 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
1. I haven't found that special one yet.

2. Selle Italia Flite Ti. It's harsh on my sitbones, and the rounded shape hurts my garbage when in the drops.
1. Selle San Marco Rolls. Pros: Nice flat section, wide enough. Cons: Even with titanium rails it's heavy. Not Brooks heavy but heavy nonetheless...

2. Selle Italia Flite Ti. I really, really wanted to like that saddle and, at first, I thought it was great. For about 20 minutes. Then it went from pretty good to unbearably evil. Never again...

Last edited by 14max; 05-11-07 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 05:52 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always just ridden the one that came with my bikes. I'll sometimes experience soreness at the end of a very long ride, but I think I could expect that out of most saddles.
Old 05-10-07, 06:09 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
1. Selle San Marco Aspide Se Ti

2. Flite Ti, like OP.
Old 05-10-07, 06:10 PM
-VELOCITY-

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
I've always just ridden the one that came with my bikes. I'll sometimes experience soreness at the end of a very long ride, but I think I could expect that out of most saddles.
Not since I switched to my Brooks.
Old 05-10-07, 06:11 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the stock saddles on last years felts (not this years) are pretty nice. kind of like a shorter slr. i have two, one on my road bike and one on my fixie. the one on my fixie is breaking down after around 1000 miles (loud creaky flexing in the middle of the seat), the one on my road bike is holding strong after 2500, so i guess they can be hit or miss. still, they are pretty cheap/light. if you go to a store that sells felts, they probably have a lot of take offs from customers bikes that can be had for 20 bucks (my shop does at least).
Old 05-10-07, 06:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
1) Terry Fly Ti - fits my butt. Cushy enough to make chipseal go away, but hard enough to keep my goodies alive. So far a very good up to 200 mi. Will do 400k on it Saturday. Not at all the same as a Liberator, which sucks.

2) Early Specialized Body Geometry. The planes of the saddle sloped wrong, so that it felt like my cheeks were being driven apart by a splitting maul. A true a$$ hatchet.

I was watching the paceline on Sunday. You know how saddle types migrate through a group that rides together for years? I noticed that guys whose butts rocked all had Brooks. Not lousy riders either, guys who do 1200s every year. Guys with quiet butts mostly had Terry Fly. Also long distance riders. Makes sense. A Brooks will really reduce saddle friction.
Old 05-10-07, 07:02 PM
aprilia4life
ADMlN

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Specialized Toupe 143. Anything that can keep my a$$ happy for 8 hours of saddle time in one day has a BIG thumbs up in my book. At first I thought it was a mistake buying it, and that I was one of the people that didn't fit the seat, but I learnt to sit back on it a bit so my sit bones are resting on the flat bit at the rear of the seat, now it fits PERFECTLY! Without much padding on the toupe you have to sit in the right place, otherwise it's hell.

2) Stock Bontrager P.O.S that came with my trek, that thing could turn you off cycling. The funny thing is the rip-off merchants at a bike shop in Sydney charge almost half of what I paid for my Toupe for that evil thing.
Old 05-10-07, 09:16 PM
delmont425
I prefer to work alone...

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 10; 2010 Scott CR1; 2004 Trek 5200; 2003 Cannondale R600; 2000 Schwinn Mesa MTB; 1999 Cannondale RT1000 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best: haven't found it yet, still searching. Selle Italia SLR XP is next...then maybe an Alias 155. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

Worst: tie between Specialized Toupe 143 (saddle sores) and San Marco Concor Lite (direct pressure on the prostate). I tried to like both of them but they would not cooperate! Their loss, I guess...
Old 05-10-07, 09:30 PM
mud
Lurker

Bikes: 07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brooks B17 x 2, I am a member of the Brooks underworld cult!
Mud
Old 05-10-07, 09:44 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Fizik Aliente Ti - best ever in all respects, never think about the saddle when riding.
2. Selle Italia Flite Ti - total ass hatchet in my experience.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 05-10-07, 10:04 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
1. Haven't found it yet... I just bought a Koobi Au Enduro... I will let you know what I think of it next week or so.
2. Stock 02 Cannondale seat... SUCKS!
Old 05-10-07, 10:23 PM
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Forté Pro SL Gel
I thought gel was for wussy and was going to swap it out but it's crazy comfortable and pretty light. Nads have never been happier and screamed, "DON'T SELL THE SEAT BOSS!"

2. Stock Bontrager seat with my 7500fx.
Numb johnson is 20 miles or less.

Veho difficilis, ago facilis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.