Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

When was the last time you rode your bicycle?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 03-09-16, 11:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Where did you go? How far? Recreational or utility or event or ...? With people or solo?

Got pics?
Old 03-09-16, 11:41 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I've been sick, it's been since Thursday. Went 92 miles on a road bike. 38F temps to 24F. No photos. Great ride on some new roads.
After dark in the middle of nowhere a cop pulled up next to me, lowered the window, and said "that's dedication". I couldn't think of anything to say, so I just said " I have all the right clothing", meaning, I'm comfortable and not cold, don't be impressed. It was nice to see a cop out in the very rural areas. That's the third time a cop has talked to me at night in a very rural area, on a long ride. Nice to know they patrol that area, in case I fall or something. I've already fixed a couple of flats in 20F in the dark, you just need to put your gloves on every couple of minutes. When working with the gloves off, put them under you jacket close to your body to keep then warmer. Warm your co2 inflator the same way and use it as fast as possible. If it gets too cold the nozzle freezes over and gets plugged.

Today it was in the 60s.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 03-09-16 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 11:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
About a half hour ago.

Towed trailer to town. Grocery shopping, & errands.

I was headed into town yesterday, and had a few minutes to spare, so I stopped at a local thrift store where I found a Power Supply for my computer... complete in box. And, it was a bit heavy and awkward. I suppose I could have discarded the box and carried it home, but I was headed in the wrong direction and didn't want to carry it. Plus, I needed the box for the 1 week warranty.

I always have the oddest buy now, pick up later things.
Old 03-10-16, 03:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan and I did an after-dark ride last night. We waited until about 8:30 pm, when it was starting to get dark, to head out for a short ride up the cycleway and back.

Part of the point of the ride was to burn off some birthday dinner calories ... and partly as a practice ride to test lights and get comfy riding in the dark again.
Old 03-10-16, 04:34 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I cheated and rode for 30 min yesterday to a bus stop rather than riding for 60+ min in the wind and rain to get home from work.

Last edited by gregf83; 03-10-16 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 05:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Machka
Where did you go? How far? Recreational or utility or event or ...? With people or solo?...

Rowan and I did an after-dark ride last night. We waited until about 8:30 pm, when it was starting to get dark, to head out for a short ride up the cycleway and back.

Part of the point of the ride was to burn off some birthday dinner calories ... and partly as a practice ride to test lights and get comfy riding in the dark again.
I was not going to reply to this thread, because the last time I rode my bike was three days ago on my generic 14 mile commute to work. I’m disappointed that I don’t ride daily due to my job. Notable about that ride was that I rode my carbon fiber bike for the second time this Winter, unusally early for this time of year. I left at about 5:15 AM.

However, after perusing the Living Car Free Forum I went to Road Cycling and encountered this thread, ”Riding at Night by Choice...” to which you and Rowan both replied. I enjoy riding in the dark, especially in the early morning. One of the enjoyments of Winter cycling is the extended period of darkness of the morning to ride. One benefit of riding in the dark is that if it’s gloomy weather, you don’t notice it.

I particularly took note of two posts on that Road thread:

Originally Posted by banerjek
Depends on where you ride. Several months of the year I commute in total darkness and used to live in a rural area with no light from streetlights, houses, etc. I think it's safe enough, but car headlights make it hard to see things

But on clear nights, it's a blast -- I always had the sensation that everything was all mine. Rural roads in the dark, particularly with a bit of moonlight assist is awesome.
Last autumn, when I stayed overnight at my job at a suburban site, I tried some very early morning riding and had the same problem about oncoming car lights. In the city there is enough ambient light to keep my pupils constricted, but on the very dark suburban/exurban roads I become very dark-adapted and oncoming lights are blinding. But I too enjoy that sensation that everything is mine, and I’m in my own world. I calI it “cocooning.”

Originally Posted by Rowan
Some depends on where the light is mounted on the bike. Lower -- say on the fork crown, a fork leg, or even on the dropout -- will cast a longer shadow of road imperfections, which does make them easier to see. If mounted high up on the handlebars or on the helmet, the shadow is less obvious, and so are the road imperfections.

I have done a lot of night riding over the years. Often, the roads and paths are very quiet, and on country roads, I find myself in a cocoon or tunnel of light and my imagination can run wild

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-10-16 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 06:10 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
On Sunday aftenoon, four days ago. Eleven miles on my trike, solo for pleasure.
Old 03-10-16, 08:53 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I've been sick, it's been since Thursday. Went 92 miles on a road bike. 38F temps to 24F. No photos. Great ride on some new roads.
After dark in the middle of nowhere a cop pulled up next to me, lowered the window, and said "that's dedication". I couldn't think of anything to say, so I just said " I have all the right clothing", meaning, I'm comfortable and not cold, don't be impressed. It was nice to see a cop out in the very rural areas. That's the third time a cop has talked to me at night in a very rural area, on a long ride. Nice to know they patrol that area, in case I fall or something. I've already fixed a couple of flats in 20F in the dark, you just need to put your gloves on every couple of minutes. When working with the gloves off, put them under you jacket close to your body to keep then warmer. Warm your co2 inflator the same way and use it as fast as possible. If it gets too cold the nozzle freezes over and gets plugged.

Today it was in the 60s.
Wow, I've never biked below the high 20sF. What kind of gloves and face-covering do you use?
Old 03-10-16, 09:49 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I cheated and rode for 30 min yesterday to a bus stop rather than riding for 60+ min in the wind and rain to get home from work.
I did the opposite this morning. My usual commute is ride a couple of minutes to the bus stop, take the bus most of the way, then bike the last two or three miles. Then bike home. This morning was so nice, and I wasn't running late for a change, so I skipped the bus.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Last autumn, when I stayed overnight at my job at a suburban site, I tried some very early morning riding and had the same problem about oncoming car lights. In the city there is enough ambient light to keep my pupils constricted, but on the very dark suburban/exurban roads I become very dark-adapted and oncoming lights are blinding. But I too enjoy that sensation that everything is mine, and I’m in my own world. I calI it “cocooning.”
I live and work in an urban area, but I grew up in a very rural area, and I found biking after dark to be very pleasant and very safe. When cars are few and far in between, every car engine sticks out like a sore thumb, and when there are no street lights, every headlight shines like a beacon. I would hear or see a car coming way off, and cross to the other side of the road long before they got to me. Now the abandoned railroad track I used to use as a short cut in the daytime has become a rail trail. I bet that's some good night riding, too. Maybe some day.

Night riding in the city doesn't always have that element. Some side streets are pretty quiet, but some unavoidable roads are never quiet. I ride at night frequently, but it lacks the fun of a late night ride in the country.
Old 03-10-16, 09:53 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
What does it say when I rode home yesterday...and on rolling up to the car in the driveway that a scared little bird darted out of the wheel?
Old 03-10-16, 10:20 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by tandempower
Wow, I've never biked below the high 20sF. What kind of gloves and face-covering do you use?
I had to think about it for a second, I made a mistake. At 24 F I switch to mittens. I always carry enough clothing and have enough space to change my hand coverings and add or subtract layers of clothing. I wear two fleece head covers (balaklava?) One of them has nice wind proof panels facing forward.

I also have a neck gaiter over the head covers. It's like a round tube of fleece, and it stretches well. The benefit of the gaiter is, I can pull it down to take a drink or get more air on a big climb,and also pull it up just under my nose in the high twenties. When it gets below 20 I pull it up under my glasses a little to cover my nose. It has a little curve that lets the middle cover my nose, and then it drops down a little on each side where my eyes are. Also when stopping I need to pull it down below my mouth to keep my glasses from fogging. It's far more adjustable than any head covers or face masks. It's really a key to riding in changing temperatures. There are other round tube style neck and head covers that don't work well. It needs to be just right. Also the collars on my jackets are all covered by my head covers to seal against the cold.
Old 03-10-16, 10:25 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
What does it say when I rode home yesterday...and on rolling up to the car in the driveway that a scared little bird darted out of the wheel?
Actually the bird was fleeing from Godzilla, you neglected to turn around and see him behind you.
Old 03-10-16, 10:34 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Last night, indoors, rollers.
Old 03-10-16, 03:42 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Last Sunday, after work, I rode to the State Capitol.

They were having a marathon run throughout downtown and I figured that the Capitol, because multiple bus lines stop there, would be the least likely to be affected. It turned out to be a wise decision. Two routes came off of the freeway just where I was waiting (Usually they take city streets). Either would get me to the mid-town center where I would transfer to the bus line going to my home.

I wanted to get the first bus to arrive in mid-town, but both buses arrived at the Capitol simultaneously and they take the same time to get from the Capitol to mid town, so the act of me getting on the bus ensured that the bus I got on would arrive later. Fortunately, the bus made the connection in mid town and I got home. I bought groceries after getting off of the bus and rode the rest of the way home.

Since then I have been at home.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 03-10-16 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 04:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I had to think about it for a second, I made a mistake. At 24 F I switch to mittens. I always carry enough clothing and have enough space to change my hand coverings and add or subtract layers of clothing. I wear two fleece head covers (balaklava?) One of them has nice wind proof panels facing forward.

I also have a neck gaiter over the head covers. It's like a round tube of fleece, and it stretches well. The benefit of the gaiter is, I can pull it down to take a drink or get more air on a big climb,and also pull it up just under my nose in the high twenties. When it gets below 20 I pull it up under my glasses a little to cover my nose. It has a little curve that lets the middle cover my nose, and then it drops down a little on each side where my eyes are. Also when stopping I need to pull it down below my mouth to keep my glasses from fogging. It's far more adjustable than any head covers or face masks. It's really a key to riding in changing temperatures. There are other round tube style neck and head covers that don't work well. It needs to be just right. Also the collars on my jackets are all covered by my head covers to seal against the cold.
Kind of like this ...

What I usually wear in cool to cold weather ... headband and neck gaiter ...

It has to be really cold before I break out my balaclava. And I have cycled in weather cold enough that I've worn both my balaclava and the combination above.
Old 03-10-16, 04:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The day before yesterday, to do hill repeats on Dexter Ave. Yesterday was a rest day, which was lucky because yesterday was also a downpour. When I get home I'm planning to do a long Z2 ride.
Old 03-10-16, 05:24 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I rode this morning and I'll be getting back on again in about two hours. Daily commute to work and back. I'm looking forward to riding in the light again.
Old 03-10-16, 06:14 PM
2manybikes

Kind of like this ...
I have one of those.They are OK, but, I have one I like better. I think one time you said you might be part Eskimo? Not joking. ? Anyway, I'm not as tough as you are.

The one I use is stretchier and fits over the nose and under the eyes better. I spent a lot of time looking for a photo, I give up.

Edit - found this one.

Attached Images

Last edited by 2manybikes; 03-10-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 03:27 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Where did you go? How far? Recreational or utility or event or ...? With people or solo?

Got pics?
More than a year ago. IIRC, the last ride was a trip to the store for a few items. I had already cut down on riding because of health problems. Then my heart gave out on me almost totally, and I had to quit riding. The goal now is to do some riding late this spring, and get back into it very gradually under my cardiologist's supervision. I don't know if I'll ever again be able to ride 365 days a year like I used to, but I do hope to get up to a respectable level by the end of the year. But it will be slow going at least for a while.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-12-16, 04:25 AM
Lil Bear

Bikes: '02 Kona Lava Dome, '15 Origami Crane8... the rest are top secret :)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
More than a year ago. IIRC, the last ride was a trip to the store for a few items. I had already cut down on riding because of health problems. Then my heart gave out on me almost totally, and I had to quit riding. The goal now is to do some riding late this spring, and get back into it very gradually under my cardiologist's supervision. I don't know if I'll ever again be able to ride 365 days a year like I used to, but I do hope to get up to a respectable level by the end of the year. But it will be slow going at least for a while.
Eat your veggies, and don't quit! You can inspire us all!

I rode my bike 2 days ago, in the dark, for no reason. It was fantastic. I stopped riding 3 months ago when I got arrested. Apparently, someone slashed the tires on a police car... I was out for a walk and got stopped. I got a concussion, torn ligaments in my ankle, and a weekend in a place that doesn't allow underwear. My ankle isn't totally healed, but I've been walking on it for a couple weeks, and started riding again.. The weather has been good enough that there's no ice. If I slip, I can't put my foot down without risking a re-injury, so on dry roads I started pedaling. I still have to face trial, so that's a stressor, but I do love that I can do some errands without pain. I can walk slow... foot doesn't move that much, but pedaling bothers it less. I'm riding to the store in the morning for some tea - baby steps.
Old 03-12-16, 05:24 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lil Bear

I rode my bike 2 days ago, in the dark, for no reason. It was fantastic. I stopped riding 3 months ago when I got arrested. Apparently, someone slashed the tires on a police car... I was out for a walk and got stopped. I got a concussion, torn ligaments in my ankle, and a weekend in a place that doesn't allow underwear. My ankle isn't totally healed, but I've been walking on it for a couple weeks, and started riding again.. The weather has been good enough that there's no ice. If I slip, I can't put my foot down without risking a re-injury, so on dry roads I started pedaling. I still have to face trial, so that's a stressor, but I do love that I can do some errands without pain. I can walk slow... foot doesn't move that much, but pedaling bothers it less. I'm riding to the store in the morning for some tea - baby steps.
Your story goes from apparently being stopped by the police for questioning, to being injured?? I'm confused.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
Old 03-13-16, 12:01 PM
xipil

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode it yesterday, but it was only for some quick errands.i just went to the bank and after I stopped by a market to pick up a few things I needed.
Old 03-13-16, 10:33 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Today. To and from church, and to and from dinner in Chinatown. Well, I used bike share bikes, so technically they weren't mine. But then I sort of consider bike share a third bike. In addition to my two bikes, it's a third choice I have on any given day.
Old 03-14-16, 05:54 AM
Lil Bear

Bikes: '02 Kona Lava Dome, '15 Origami Crane8... the rest are top secret :)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Your story goes from apparently being stopped by the police for questioning, to being injured?? I'm confused.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
It was a very aggressive stop - that ended with me face down in the snow with a knee on the back of my neck. There wasn't much questioning.

We're dogsitting for a friend for about a week, and she (the dog) likes to go for a couple walks every day, but not long ones. I think that's good for us both, then evenings I try and sneak out for a short ride around the neighborhood. Getting better every day.
Old 03-14-16, 09:39 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Bear

Wow, sorry to hear all that and hope things go better in the future.

Last edited by cooker; 03-14-16 at 09:47 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.