Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

HInts on Taking the grand daughter on a trailer ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 10:58 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

I have 6 grand kids and 1 in development, WOW! A grand daughter and her mom are now "temporary" residents in our home. I really enjoy this bundle of magic.

I want to take her for some excursions, but am starting from scratch. Any strong recommendation on which trailer to purchase and what age/weight is safe for these adventures. Anyone?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-03-17, 11:34 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
When my kids were that little I used to take them all the time on the bike...in a rear-mounted child seat...not a trailer. I began taking them when they were about six month. They loved it. Well...they usually fell asleep probably because of the fresh air rush. Personally I just didn't/don't like the trailer setup. The kid just seemed too removed for my liking. And then if you encounter wet roads...I always wondered about tire spray getting on the kid. So, I actually purchased a cheap, used road bike just for mounting the seat on. I left it mounted and that was the bike for taking the kids on a ride.
That was back before the front-mounted child seats were available or I would have used one of them. But, go with what you're comfortable with.

Other suggestions is to make sure the child has a toy or two with it. And also a sippy cup. BUT...make sure that anything the kid has is tied on with string because they're sure toss it. Also make sure you dress appropriately for warmth.

Good luck and have fun.

Dan
Old 05-03-17, 01:29 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I have 6 grand kids and 1 in development, WOW! A grand daughter and her mom are now "temporary" residents in our home. I really enjoy this bundle of magic.

I want to take her for some excursions, but am starting from scratch. Any strong recommendation on which trailer to purchase and what age/weight is safe for these adventures. Anyone?
Burley trailers are sort of the standard, and with good reason. We used them for both of our kids and both of the kids together too. They were on these until they could get on the (also burley) third wheel where they pedaled too. Get the push handle and trailer wheel for the front and you can use it for running or as a stroller when you get where you are going.

Many happy miles in those trailers..

J.
Old 05-03-17, 03:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
They told me, and it made sense and it worked, that my daughter should be able to hold her head up with a helmet on before her first trailer ride.

We practiced wearing the helmet a few times so she'd get used to it.

I didn't have a special trailer - bought one at a garage sale. I think it was Bell.

We kept the trips short - I think the longest was maybe 10 miles. Most of them were just the long way to the park, where she played, had an ice cream, and returned home. Fun times... she's 17 now.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 05-03-17 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-04-17, 09:53 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
The whole trick is to make it fun. Otherwise, it's "one and done."

J.
Old 05-04-17, 11:52 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
The whole trick is to make it fun. Otherwise, it's "one and done."

J.

I am all about the fun. I had an old blind schnauzer who loved for me to take her for a bike ride. This baby is going to enjoy more.

The ideas on toys and a sippy cup are great suggestions. Thanks.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-05-17, 02:58 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Both my kids started in a seat on the back... and both would fall asleep - believe me, a sleeping child leaning out to one side is preferable to an excited one leaning one way then the other.
When older, my daughter moved to one of those half bikes that you connect to your bike. She loved that, I loved that and we both loved my son riding behind her complaining that she wasn't pedaling or, worse, pedaling backwards
I've also have a trailer but only the dog ever used that. Great option - he loved it.

Give it a go gramps. Choose the option that suits the age of the child and move up when appropriate (in the hope that another littleun will come along later).