Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

UK cyclist convicted in fatal accident

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-23-17, 09:24 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts

Please keep this thread on track and be respectful. The other thread was shut down due to it getting off track. Mods if this thread is unwanted, please feel free to delete it since the other was closed down by you all.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...his-track-bike

Charlie Alliston was convicted of causing bodily harm in the death. He was cleared of the manslaughter charge. The judge in the case slammed him for not showing any remorse at all and said he could face jail time at sentencing.

Snip from the above-linked article:
Alliston was released on bail. He will be sentenced on September 18th. Judge Wendy Thomas warned that he faced a custodial sentence but added that it was not a certainty until she had heard mitigation at the sentencing hearing. She added: “I have not seen one iota of remorse from Mr Alliston at all at any stage.
Be safe and ride legally all!

Last edited by raqball; 08-23-17 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 10:11 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Sounds like there is a very good chance he will serve prison time, from the statements of the Judge. Eligible to be sentenced up to 2 years and unlimited monetary fines.

From The Sun article and the blurb I just heard on BBC Radio, it also sounds like prosecutors botched up on the variation of manslaughter they chose to charge under. Judge would have accepted a 10 out of 12 conviction, but they couldn't hit that threshold. Guess his "brakes wouldn't matter" claim worked.

"If you drove your car really dangerously and at very high speed, you might get prosecuted for what's called gross negligence manslaughter. You might."

"But this defendant is not getting prosecuted for gross negligence manslaughter, he is getting prosecuted for unlawful act manslaughter."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/429582...on-kim-briggs/ (NOTE: some sidebar ads in the link may be very NSFW)
Old 08-23-17, 10:33 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Guess his "brakes wouldn't matter" claim worked.
I personally don't think that claim worked in this case as if it had, he would have been completely cleared. I think based on my reading of it, is that they overcharged or mischarged on the manslaughter charge.

I'd bet the judge will give him the max. Never a good sign when the judge makes comments like that.
Old 08-23-17, 03:22 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
If only he'd been driving a car, would have got a few points on his license and no charges.
Old 08-23-17, 03:24 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
The manslaughter charge was always going to be a tough sell to a jury.

He's an immature **** on a bike, not a violent thug.

(Oh! I see the censor is up to date on English colloquial name-calling too! Word rhymes with 'splat'...)
Old 08-23-17, 04:35 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It's worth discussing, this case, we all face a similar risk I guess and I would hate to do jail time just because of a lapse of concentration. With no rego my bikes have no public liability insurance, that in itself opens a can of worms if I seriously injured someone.

Mind you
Charlie Alliston, 20, was a fan of “dangerous” bike racing videos and did not have a front brake on his track bike – a legal requirement if ridden on the road.
I would never consider riding without one. He was definitely being irresponsible at the very least.
Old 08-23-17, 04:36 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
A couple of years in lockup may help him mature - or mold him into a violent thug.
Old 08-23-17, 04:46 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
If only he'd been driving a car, would have got a few points on his license and no charges.
truth
Old 08-24-17, 07:41 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
Or, you know, not had he not been bragging on forums about his aggressive riding style and about teaching her a lesson. A contrite, not combative, attitude probably would have went a long way as well.

After this case, I'm left believing there are a few cycling advocates around here that would wind up screwed if they ever found themselves in the same situation and the prosecutor came across their postings.
Old 08-24-17, 09:29 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
After this case, I'm left believing there are a few cycling advocates around here that would wind up screwed if they ever found themselves in the same situation and the prosecutor came across their postings.
Or videos.
Old 08-24-17, 09:39 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
From this page, it seem he got very lucky he didn't get the manslaughter conviction.

Homicide; Murder and Manslaughter: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

See Definition of Homicide section

3. conduct taking the form of an unlawful act involving a danger of some harm, that resulted in death, is manslaughter ("unlawful and dangerous act manslaughter"). The term "involuntary manslaughter" is commonly used to describe a manslaughter falling within (2) and (3) while (1) is referred to as "voluntary manslaughter".
Old 08-24-17, 09:47 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Or, you know, not had he not been bragging on forums about his aggressive riding style and about teaching her a lesson. A contrite, not combative, attitude probably would have went a long way as well.
Where are all the convicted fans of The Fast and the Furious movies? How often are motorist contrite about the people they kill? The general public certainly isn't given the comments you see.
Old 08-24-17, 10:01 AM
raqball

Agree. If anything else, showing some remorse might have saved him prison time. It sounds like the judge noticed this, commented on it, and I think he will get the max allowed by the law.

Agree again. They think that by putting a disclaimer on their posts and videos will matter. It's only a matter of time before an incident happens either to them, or someone following their advice.

Is saving a few seconds really worth killing someone, causing an accident that kills or harms someone, ending up in prison and losing everything over a civil lawsuit? To some I guess the answer is sure, I saved 4 seconds off my ride.

It never happens until it does.
Old 08-24-17, 10:43 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by raqball
Is saving a few seconds really worth killing someone...?
Is looking at a phone (or daydreaming) in traffic worth dying over? Why am I charged as a baby sitter for every distracted individual on Earth. I am worried about my safety only. I sure don't want to hurt anyone else but I can't pay attention for them. If I can do something to save the life of some mindless individual, I am in. If I can't, it wasn't really my problem in the first place. I would feel terrible if someone were injured by me even if it were 100% their fault but my feelings would fall very short of remorse. Remorse is a barometer of guilt. If someone is not guilty, or truly believes themselves to be not guilty, there should be no remorse. We can feel badly without remorse.

REMORSE: Deep regret or guilt for a wrong committed.

Remorse is an ADMISSION of guilt, which is why I assume the kid showed no remorse in a trial. Remorse is a form of confession. Any judge should know this.

"I am truly sorry that woman went and got herself killed. She did not deserve to die for lack of paying attention." is not remorse. It is simpatico or empathy. Maybe he could have said something like that but it would only have made things worse. So he shut up, which was the smartest move.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-24-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 10:50 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
my feelings would fall very short of remorse.
The kid, in this case, appears to fit this description from everything I've seen and read:

Sociopath:
Lack of conscience, lack of remorse, guilt or shame. The most incredible trait of a sociopath, is their complete lack of conscience, lack of empathy, remorse, guilt or shame. ...

The judge noticed it, commented on it and I believe will max him out because of it. I have no doubt that the jury noticed it as well.
Old 08-24-17, 11:15 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

The kid, in this case, appears to fit this description from everything I've seen and read:

Sociopath:
Lack of conscience, lack of remorse, guilt or shame. The most incredible trait of a sociopath, is their complete lack of conscience, lack of empathy, remorse, guilt or shame. ...

The judge noticed it, commented on it and I believe will max him out because of it. I have no doubt that the jury noticed it as well.
You mean he might get elected to public office??!!

(Are judges and juries QUALIFIED to make that diagnosis without an in-depth psychiatric exam? Kid could be traumatized and terrified with the same external symptoms.)

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-24-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 01:25 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
https://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.u...trial.html?m=1

There are a few interesting things in this blog by a British lawyer. Some technical arguments, some legal arguments and some other thoughts.

I was particularly intrigued by the (presumably) deliberate choice of charges to elevate this from the Magistrates Court to the Crown Court, even when suitable charges did exist at that 'lower' level.
Old 08-25-17, 02:24 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Put yourselves in the husband's shoes. I'm sure your opinions would change.
Old 08-25-17, 02:48 AM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It takes a special kind of numb nut to ride a bike with no brakes on the street.
No brakes = No Control of Machine
Old 08-25-17, 06:48 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
https://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.u...trial.html?m=1

There are a few interesting things in this blog by a British lawyer. Some technical arguments, some legal arguments and some other thoughts.

I was particularly intrigued by the (presumably) deliberate choice of charges to elevate this from the Magistrates Court to the Crown Court, even when suitable charges did exist at that 'lower' level.
Wow. The Cycling Lawyer ought to know better and his legal arguments are weak at best.

The suitable charges are indeed wanton or furious driving *and* unlawful act manslaughter.

A person driving a car the suitable charges would be causing death by dangerous driving.

A person driving a car not on a public way the suitable charges would be wanton or furious driving *and* unlawful act manslaughter.

In 2015 in Hererford, a cyclist pled guilty to wanton or furious driving in causing the bodily harm (death) to a pedestrian. Speed was not a factor. (Brakes were a factor!)

And in 2009 in Weymouth, a cyclist pled guilty to wanton or furious driving in causing the bodily harm (death) to a pedestrian. Speed was a factor.

Finally, this prosecution was not the result of "prejudice that motoring is innocuous and cycling dangerous!"

This prosecution was the result of the fact that dangerous operators are dangerous.

-mr. bill
Old 08-25-17, 07:12 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Wow. The Cycling Lawyer ought to know better and his legal arguments are weak at best.

The suitable charges are indeed wanton or furious driving *and* unlawful act manslaughter.

A person driving a car the suitable charges would be causing death by dangerous driving.

A person driving a car not on a public way the suitable charges would be wanton or furious driving *and* unlawful act manslaughter.

In 2015 in Hererford, a cyclist pled guilty to wanton or furious driving in causing the bodily harm (death) to a pedestrian. Speed was not a factor. (Brakes were a factor!)

And in 2009 in Weymouth, a cyclist pled guilty to wanton or furious driving in causing the bodily harm (death) to a pedestrian. Speed was a factor.

Finally, this prosecution was not the result of "prejudice that motoring is innocuous and cycling dangerous!"

This prosecution was the result of the fact that dangerous operators are dangerous.

-mr. bill

If only motorists would travel at the speeds that these cyclists were being convicted of traveling at.
I've had several pedestrians in their being unaware when stepping out into traffic without giving vehicles on the roadway sufficient time to stop, and the last pedestrian to do so, laughed at the evasive actions I took to avoid hitting her.
Old 08-25-17, 07:34 AM
raqball

A slightly different scenario here but I'll mention it anyway.

I generally avoid the local MUP's because they are inundated with clueless pedestrians. People walking dogs off leash, kids roaming about, skateboarders who are clueless and rollerbladers swerving all over the place. To add to the danger, more than half have headphones in and can't hear a word you shout anyways.

When I do get on a MUP, I slow when I see pedestrians ahead because I know how unpredictable they are. Yet I still see cyclists who are trying to beat a Strava record, shave 4 seconds off their ride time, impress others with their speed or train for the next TDF (sarcasm). They blaze along at high speed when they encounter these pedestrians and then they throw a temper tantrum when a small child makes an unexpected maneuver and they have to react.

Anyways, in this case, I do not think the cyclist would have been convicted if his bike were legal.
Old 08-25-17, 08:25 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
A slightly different scenario here but I'll mention it anyway.

I generally avoid the local MUP's because they are inundated with clueless pedestrians. People walking dogs off leash, kids roaming about, skateboarders who are clueless and rollerbladers swerving all over the place. To add to the danger, more than half have headphones in and can't hear a word you shout anyways.

When I do get on a MUP, I slow when I see pedestrians ahead because I know how unpredictable they are. Yet I still see cyclists who are trying to beat a Strava record, shave 4 seconds off their ride time, impress others with their speed or train for the next TDF (sarcasm). They blaze along at high speed when they encounter these pedestrians and then they throw a temper tantrum when a small child makes an unexpected maneuver and they have to react.

Anyways, in this case, I do not think the cyclist would have been convicted if his bike were legal.

I avoid our local MUPs like the plague do to the erratic nature of the people using it, the roadway may not be the optimal place for many cyclists, by I would rather use it due it's more predictable traffic patterns.
My last encounter with a careless pedestrian, I was traveling between 20 to 25 mph on a 35 mph roadway, in middle of the lane with a strobe headlamp, with two very capable working brakes, and still skidded past the pedestrian after my taking evasive actions.
Old 08-25-17, 08:43 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that would ever try someone for not crashing into a pedestrian.

-mr. bill
Old 08-25-17, 08:51 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that would ever try someone for not crashing into a pedestrian.

-mr. bill
Agree but what I am saying is that if his bike was legal and the incident had still occurred exactly as it did, I do not think he would have been charged or convicted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.