Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Caadx or Caadx SE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 12:16 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Caadx or Caadx SE?

Hi everyone. CAADX or CAADX SE? I'm coming from a 2014 CAAD 10 105. I absolutely love the bike but have started going off road. I've put Panaracer Gravel King 26s on it and think I am ready to commit to a bigger tire bike. I still like to get zippy on the road too. I will be selling my CAAD 10 to help pay for this new bike.

My question is, if I get the CAADX, will I regret not being able to put even bigger tires than the CAADX allows? Making me want to upgrade in the future? Or is the CAADX enough?

I want to have a bike I can rip around on the road and have a great time on the hard packed dirt trails and single track outside of Paris. For the future I want to have the option of light touring and cyclocross racing. I know that sounds like I'm all over the place but I really would like this bike to have the option of doing those things.

The CAADX Tiagra (same as my 105 5700 right?) is so much more affordable and available to test ride here in Paris.

So, if I buy the CAADX am I just going to want to upgrade later? Can anyone tell me the main difference between the CAADX and CAADX SE? How different will they ride? I'm having a hard time finding an SE in stock here in Paris. I'm also willing to wait, i don't need the bike asap.
Old 07-01-18, 04:02 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
Hi everyone. CAADX or CAADX SE? I'm coming from a 2014 CAAD 10 105. I absolutely love the bike but have started going off road. I've put Panaracer Gravel King 26s on it and think I am ready to commit to a bigger tire bike. I still like to get zippy on the road too. I will be selling my CAAD 10 to help pay for this new bike.

My question is, if I get the CAADX, will I regret not being able to put even bigger tires than the CAADX allows? Making me want to upgrade in the future? Or is the CAADX enough?

I want to have a bike I can rip around on the road and have a great time on the hard packed dirt trails and single track outside of Paris. For the future I want to have the option of light touring and cyclocross racing. I know that sounds like I'm all over the place but I really would like this bike to have the option of doing those things.

The CAADX Tiagra (same as my 105 5700 right?) is so much more affordable and available to test ride here in Paris.

So, if I buy the CAADX am I just going to want to upgrade later? Can anyone tell me the main difference between the CAADX and CAADX SE? How different will they ride? I'm having a hard time finding an SE in stock here in Paris. I'm also willing to wait, i don't need the bike asap.
This is an easy one. CAADX SE for sure.

The only difference between the models is the stock build. The framesets are exactly the same except for color. Since you want to "zipp around on the road" the SE's wider gearing range will be better. Also, the wheels are better, the tires are better, the 105 is 11s, the whole cockpit is better, the saddle is better, and the brake calipers are better. All for only $300 more. It's a no brainer. So go test ride a CAADX and it will tell you close enough of how it rides and if you like it. Then order an SE.

Last edited by shoota; 07-01-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 07:57 AM
Hmmm

Originally Posted by shoota
This is an easy one. CAADX SE for sure.

The only difference between the models is the stock build. The framesets are exactly the same except for color. Since you want to "zipp around on the road" the SE's wider gearing range will be better. Also, the wheels are better, the tires are better, the 105 is 11s, the whole cockpit is better, the saddle is better, and the brake calipers are better. All for only $300 more. It's a no brainer. So go test ride a CAADX and it will tell you close enough of how it rides and if you like it. Then order an SE.
I appreciate your comment. So the SE has the same exact tire clearance as the other CAADX frames? I was led to beleive that it has clearance for bigger tires. If it is the same as the CAADX frames then it will open me up to CAADX's as well as the occasional SuperX that is popping up.

Here's another question to people that ride gravel and cross. Will I get bored with the tire clearance of a cross bike and just want to keep going bigger and bigger? Or is there a sweet spot of road tire that is very fun on fire roads, single track and asphalt? This bike will see a good amount of pavement as well as packed dirt roads. Will anything more than a 40c feel like a drag?
Old 07-03-18, 08:07 AM
shoota 

I appreciate your comment. So the SE has the same exact tire clearance as the other CAADX frames? I was led to beleive that it has clearance for bigger tires. If it is the same as the CAADX frames then it will open me up to CAADX's as well as the occasional SuperX that is popping up.

Here's another question to people that ride gravel and cross. Will I get bored with the tire clearance of a cross bike and just want to keep going bigger and bigger? Or is there a sweet spot of road tire that is very fun on fire roads, single track and asphalt? This bike will see a good amount of pavement as well as packed dirt roads. Will anything more than a 40c feel like a drag?
All the CAADX frames are the same. The new SuperX's have slightly more tire clearance, maybe that's where you heard there is a difference?

I can't speak for anyone else but 40mm is max for me if I'm riding on the road a lot but I would prefer narrower. I'm running 38mm Trigger Pros which have a fairly smooth center tread and they feel pretty good on the road while not giving away too much off-road. But this will vary quite a bit from person to person depending on their desires and riding conditions.
Old 07-03-18, 06:06 PM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just took delivery of a brand new SuperX (in fact, I think it’s a 2019). I went with the SE for reasons described by Shoota. The SuperX frameset is what it is. I compared the Force 1 build to the Force 1 SE and felt that the cassette, wheel set, seatpost and saddle, and the bar and stem were worth the price bump. You can do the same comparison with the CAADX and CAADX SE. Are the component upgrades worth the coin? If you hold back now, will you ever upgrade later (perhaps, since you’re trading in your 2014....)
I have zero miles on the SuperX, so I have no advice to offer performance-wise. But all that I’ve read is that 35-40mm tires are fine for the road unless you’re on the hairy edge of competitive in a hyper competitive ride group. That’s weight-weenie territory anyway. I mostly ride alone against my own desires. I’m not carving corners at 40+ mph descents. But i do mostly road riding, often on poorly maintained county roads and (now more likely) some dirt roads and rail trails. That’s why I went SE.
Old 07-03-18, 08:30 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by davlafont
I just took delivery of a brand new SuperX (in fact, I think it’s a 2019). I went with the SE for reasons described by Shoota. The SuperX frameset is what it is. I compared the Force 1 build to the Force 1 SE and felt that the cassette, wheel set, seatpost and saddle, and the bar and stem were worth the price bump. You can do the same comparison with the CAADX and CAADX SE. Are the component upgrades worth the coin? If you hold back now, will you ever upgrade later (perhaps, since you’re trading in your 2014....)
I have zero miles on the SuperX, so I have no advice to offer performance-wise. But all that I’ve read is that 35-40mm tires are fine for the road unless you’re on the hairy edge of competitive in a hyper competitive ride group. That’s weight-weenie territory anyway. I mostly ride alone against my own desires. I’m not carving corners at 40+ mph descents. But i do mostly road riding, often on poorly maintained county roads and (now more likely) some dirt roads and rail trails. That’s why I went SE.
Perfect choice.
Old 07-04-18, 07:59 AM
Hmmm

All the CAADX frames are the same. The new SuperX's have slightly more tire clearance, maybe that's where you heard there is a difference?

I can't speak for anyone else but 40mm is max for me if I'm riding on the road a lot but I would prefer narrower. I'm running 38mm Trigger Pros which have a fairly smooth center tread and they feel pretty good on the road while not giving away too much off-road. But this will vary quite a bit from person to person depending on their desires and riding conditions.
Thanks guys for your input. If tire clearance is the same on all the CAADX models then it's all good to me. I am happy in my ignorance thinking my CAAD10 105 5700 is the best bike in the world haha. I'm also fine waiting to see what 2019 offers, whenever those are released.

Whichever CAADX I land on I will be wanting to put on different tires. I'm looking at the 35 or 38 Schwalbe G-ONE Allrounds, which look very fun and suited to the kind of riding I will be doing. I was thinking that running them as clinchers to give me the option of throwing the knobbier Rapid Rob's on for the occasional extra dirty outing or possible CX race. Is that a bad idea? It looks like the stock rims for both the 105 and Tiagra are not tubeless ready. The thought of converting a wheel to tubeless, then setting up tubeless tires is an intimidating idea.

Again, I appreciate your help.
Old 07-04-18, 08:38 AM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks guys for your input. If tire clearance is the same on all the CAADX models then it's all good to me. I am happy in my ignorance thinking my CAAD10 105 5700 is the best bike in the world haha. I'm also fine waiting to see what 2019 offers, whenever those are released.

Whichever CAADX I land on I will be wanting to put on different tires. I'm looking at the 35 or 38 Schwalbe G-ONE Allrounds, which look very fun and suited to the kind of riding I will be doing. I was thinking that running them as clinchers to give me the option of throwing the knobbier Rapid Rob's on for the occasional extra dirty outing or possible CX race. Is that a bad idea? It looks like the stock rims for both the 105 and Tiagra are not tubeless ready. The thought of converting a wheel to tubeless, then setting up tubeless tires is an intimidating idea.

I recently purchased a 2018 Caadx Ultegra to use for both cyclocross racing and gravel events. I immediately upgraded the wheel set to Stan’s Grails which I have ridden with tubes and now tubeless using 35 mm Schwalbe G-one All arounds. They work great. Very happy with my choice so far—it is most definitely a compromise—I wanted somehing for both cx racing and gravel and the caadx accomplishes both well enough.
Old 07-05-18, 10:59 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

To me the sweet spot is the WTB Byway 650x47. Handles my local fire roads and singletrack like a a champ and plenty fast on the road. I run them tubeless at 35 psi. Could actually go a little lower as well. This is on my Slate.
Old 07-05-18, 01:42 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

With a good set up tubeless rims and tires, swapping is not really much more work than changing a tubed clincher. I can usually do a full swap in under an hour.
Old 07-05-18, 08:42 PM
curttard

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
With a good set up tubeless rims and tires, swapping is not really much more work than changing a tubed clincher. I can usually do a full swap in under an hour.
Wait, what? Are you saying swapping two tires takes you under an hour or am I misunderstanding? With tubed tires, it takes me around 10 minutes.
Old 07-05-18, 08:45 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by curttard
Wait, what? Are you saying swapping two tires takes you under an hour or am I misunderstanding? With tubed tires, it takes me around 10 minutes.
under an hour to swap 2 tubeless tires for another two tubeless tires
Old 07-06-18, 05:54 AM
curttard

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
under an hour to swap 2 tubeless tires for another two tubeless tires
Well, that's certainly nowhere near how long it takes to swap a pair of tubed tires for another pair of tubed tires, unless by under an hour you meant around 10 minutes.
Old 07-06-18, 07:57 AM
shoota 

Well, that's certainly nowhere near how long it takes to swap a pair of tubed tires for another pair of tubed tires, unless by under an hour you meant around 10 minutes.
Haha, yeah, changing tubed vs. tubeless is no where near equivalent in any way.
Old 07-06-18, 08:21 AM
redlude97

where did I say anything about the time being the same? I said it wasn't that much more work. All the steps are essentially the same except for the addition on sealant instead of a tube, and the use of a compressor or chamber instead of a floor pump. It was in the context of the OP being worried about the idea of tubeless, and my point was that it's not much harder to do and certainly easy enough to swap tires between different outings say the night before
Old 07-20-18, 01:44 AM
Hmmm

Originally Posted by gus6464
To me the sweet spot is the WTB Byway 650x47. Handles my local fire roads and singletrack like a a champ and plenty fast on the road. I run them tubeless at 35 psi. Could actually go a little lower as well. This is on my Slate.
Thanks guys, this is all very helpful and you guys are helping answer questions I'm having a hard time finding answers to.

In looking deeper into a bike that is not just for the road, I have stumbled onto great looking 650b "all road" bikes. I like the idea of the CAADX, the geometry is intriguing and I really think it would be what I'm looking for. But.. would there be any way or reason I would want to put a 650b wheelset on it? Maybe as a second wheelset?
Old 07-20-18, 03:13 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But.. would there be any way or reason I would want to put a 650b wheelset on it?
Depends how you ride and what kind of terrain you ride on, how much you care about comfort vs speed on pavement. If you're coming from road you need some experience with the new bike offroad and you will be able to answer that question. After a while you might start riding almost exclusively offroad. But offroad can mean super smooth gravel roads to rocky singletrack.
When riding offroad bigger tyres are always better. Much more comfortable, you can run lower air pressures, and you won't bottom out the tyre as much.

At least this is my experience. Originally i've built a gravel/adventure/big tyre drop bar bike because the paved roads are horrible where I live and I basically wanted a comfortable road bike. But a month later I was riding more dirt than asphalt. Now I only ride on paved roads because sometimes it's the only way to get to the nice offroad segments.
Old 07-20-18, 12:00 PM
shoota 

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful and you guys are helping answer questions I'm having a hard time finding answers to.

In looking deeper into a bike that is not just for the road, I have stumbled onto great looking 650b "all road" bikes. I like the idea of the CAADX, the geometry is intriguing and I really think it would be what I'm looking for. But.. would there be any way or reason I would want to put a 650b wheelset on it? Maybe as a second wheelset?
You're over -thinking this. For what you described originally you will have no need for a 650B wheelset in my opinion.
Old 07-20-18, 02:30 PM
Hmmm

You're over -thinking this. For what you described originally you will have no need for a 650B wheelset in my opinion.
Yeah, you are probably right. I think I have too much time to make a decision and it's causing me to look into so many options of what a new bike could be or what I might want it to do. Since there aren't really any sizes of CAADX around here left of 2018 I think I'll wait until the 2019's come out. It's been a month off the bike with moving/work/vacation etc that it will be good to get out on the road tomorrow and realize I don't live in the middle of the mountains with endless fire roads going everywhere (like the magazine's and bike companies would like me to believe).
Old 07-20-18, 03:13 PM
shoota 

Yeah, you are probably right. I think I have too much time to make a decision and it's causing me to look into so many options of what a new bike could be or what I might want it to do. Since there aren't really any sizes of CAADX around here left of 2018 I think I'll wait until the 2019's come out. It's been a month off the bike with moving/work/vacation etc that it will be good to get out on the road tomorrow and realize I don't live in the middle of the mountains with endless fire roads going everywhere (like the magazine's and bike companies would like me to believe).
Oh trust me I get that. I researched until I was blue in the face and bought a gravel bike when I lived in a city that literally had zero gravel to ride. Then I moved and got into it and realized I had bought the wrong bike. You really need to talk to people that 1) live where you do and 2) ride the way you do. That second point is important. Where I live there are all kinds of gravel riders and if I just talked to one or two of them I likely would have wound up on a steel framed SS or drop bar mtb with bags and crap all over it. Now, there's nothing wrong with that but that style isn't me.
Old 07-20-18, 05:33 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
if the Caadx was thru axle I'd be all over it.
Old 07-22-18, 02:04 PM
Hmmm

I just looked at the Giant TCX SLR 2.. wow what a bike, and tire clearance. Giant might be taking my money.

I also forgot I had made this for a friend. A route in Paris that has some good dirt. Obviously if I were on top a cross bike I would have ridden through more dirt.

https://vimeo.com/268265951

Last edited by Hmmm; 07-22-18 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 06:29 PM
Metieval

I just looked at the Giant TCX SLR 2.. wow what a bike, and tire clearance. Giant might be taking my money.

I also forgot I had made this for a friend. A route in Paris that has some good dirt. Obviously if I were on top a cross bike I would have ridden through more dirt.

https://vimeo.com/268265951
tcx for tire clearance
caadx for compliance with no performance loss.

by the way, the 2018 TCX SLR is a double, the 2019 is a 1x
Old 07-22-18, 11:37 PM
Hmmm

Originally Posted by Metieval
tcx for tire clearance
caadx for compliance with no performance loss.

by the way, the 2018 TCX SLR is a double, the 2019 is a 1x
By compliance on the caadx would you say it's more fun to ride? Yes, the 2019 1x looks very appealing. I have never ridden a 1x and am curious of how the jumps in gears make a spending a lot of time on road feel. I assume you just get used to what you have available and it feels normal. Also just saw the funky break box attached to the end of the stem off the bars on the TCX.
Old 07-23-18, 04:23 AM
Metieval

By compliance on the caadx would you say it's more fun to ride? Yes, the 2019 1x looks very appealing. I have never ridden a 1x and am curious of how the jumps in gears make a spending a lot of time on road feel. I assume you just get used to what you have available and it feels normal. Also just saw the funky break box attached to the end of the stem off the bars on the TCX.
compliance , as in more comfortable.

I have 1 by on hybrid i like it.

the connect brake system, funky but it works. disadvantage proprietary stems. advantage normal hoods. but I am used to ultegra hydraulic hoods now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.