Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for Adequate Heart Rate Monitor

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 09-01-18, 01:29 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In light of another post I make this week, I suspect I need to buy a heart rate monitor. Years ago, I had one that was a strap that went around my chest, and then a read-out device that you wear on your wrist. I know today there are lots of monitors that you just wear on your wrist.
I don't have a Garmin, so rule that out.
I don't need anything fancy with a lot of features, just something that gives me my heart rate.
Are the wrist type adequate, or should I still go with one that has the strap around the chest?
Recommendations?
Old 09-01-18, 06:03 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Wahoo Tickr and although I haven't anything else to compare to, I really like it. It never loose a sync and gets HR within a few seconds of pluging it. By manually comparing HR when at max HR, the Tickr was +-a few BPM than my calculated 10 seconds*6. It doesn't lag as my VivoActive HR watch (although both will get about the same HR when it stabilizes).

Like I mention in a different thread:

The straps and battery last forever. I bought mine in August 2016 and I've clocked 11 700 km (479 h) riding, 225 km (25 h) running, 246 km (33 h) cross country skying and 154 hours weight lifting wearing it (equivalent of almost 29 days!). I'm still on the same strap and replaced the battery only twice.
Old 09-02-18, 10:17 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been using Polar HR products for over 20 years, and have found them to be very good and reliable. A good value today: https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Watch-F.../dp/B01DENG4UO

The only thing to go wrong with a good HRM is the strap. The straps often cease working after a year or so. All complaints about HRMs stopping working properly are due to a failing strap. Luckily the modern straps with snap-on transmitters are cheap and available. I always have a spare strap on hand. That said, chest strap HRMs are by far the most accurate and reliable, so minor hassles over the straps are worth it.

The best replacement straps I've used are these:
https://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com...lar-soft-strap
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Replac...dp/B00BI9X1OO/
Both are far more durable than the usual strap which comes with inexpensive units.
Old 09-02-18, 10:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I should mention that IME it doesn't take all that long before the HRM user wants the ability to record their data for future analysis and comparison. That means an HRM that will upload to the computer and/or the web.
Old 09-06-18, 05:11 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Agree with comment that the strap fails first - look for units (like the Wahoo TICKR) that don't have metal buckles. In my experience, the salt from sweat eats the coating no matter if I clean the strap after every ride.

Any unit with BT will be readable from any modern cellphone if you don't have a bike head unit that will display it. You can always just buy the cheapest one with BT and then when the cheap strap dies, buy a better one.
Old 09-06-18, 06:38 AM
MrJames67 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
After medical advice to use one to keep my heart rate under a certain maximum, I've had Polar units for years, they come with belts, and recommend them as accurate. I usually bought a less expensive ones, my last and current one, the FT1 with belt. I bought that two years ago on Amazon for $42.41. It is now selling on Amazon for only $170! Juan de Fuca? Absurd... The FT1 was to replace two MIO HRM monitor watches, no belt required, two different models I bought consecutively from REI. Each was erratic, often off by as much as 50 points. I was not the only one with thes kind of worthless readouts. Returned them both. I notice that REI is currently not selling MIOs anymore except for one model on clearance, at considerably less than half price, about $45. ; )

I never have wanted monitors that required me to pull out my smartphone to see what my heart was doing; I want to look at my wrist directly and see the readout at any glance anywhere anytime. I still have my FT1 with belt but never use it because after seeing a relative's Fitness Charge 2 Tracker, for $150, said "That's for me." The Charge 2 now sells on Amazon for $130, (over 16 thousand reviews) priced about the same as most dedicated watch HRMs with readout always visible on your wrist. It has the heart rate functions I want, is accurate with no belt whatsoever (what I had hoped the MIOs would be), plus what is equally important to me -- my sleep stages and how much time spent in each including the time I was actually awake but would have counted as asleep, something I dearly wanted -- plus more activity tracking including stairs climbed, daily steps, and more, and outstanding software -- with daily and weekly reports on my smartphone and email and online. And helpful suggestions. Recharging via USA lasts several days.

Also cycling activity, distance traveled, etc. etc. Pretty good for $130.

If I lose it or it quits working, I will buy another immediately. I have no complaints at all about this unit. The thing is, heart rate monitors today are also over a hundred dollars for the most part, and that for a little more you get so much more about your daily activities that can help you stay healthy, I would not recommend a dedicated HRM to anyone any more, over the Charge 2. As always, your mileage may vary and I have no connection with FitBit other than a wholly satisfied user. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-18, 08:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Wrist bands don't work as well at high HRs and moving your arms and wrist on the bike can throw it off.
Old 09-10-18, 10:42 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SylvainG
I have a Wahoo Tickr and although I haven't anything else to compare to, I really like it. It never loose a sync and gets HR within a few seconds of pluging it. By manually comparing HR when at max HR, the Tickr was +-a few BPM than my calculated 10 seconds*6. It doesn't lag as my VivoActive HR watch (although both will get about the same HR when it stabilizes).

Like I mention in a different thread:
Thanks for you suggestion. I bought this one, love it. A excellent value at just $50.
Old 09-10-18, 06:37 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
Thanks for you suggestion. I bought this one, love it. A excellent value at just $50.
Glad to be of some help. If I may make a recommendation, I've put a safety pin on the middle of the strap (where the thickness of the strap is doubled). That way, the strap stays exactly at the right length.