Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon Fiber Pros and Cons?

Old 10-06-18, 05:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
you have really gotten into pictures over the last year.
and its been great to see how you show each one! You do a good job of complimenting the incredible landscape you ride.
Thanks

For many years I did not take any pictures at all. Then I spent some years learning how to shoot underwater video and film editing using the GoPro system. A few years ago I started getting into basic photography with a decent P&S camera and dive almost exclusively with two pretty talented underwater photographers, so I have learned a lot from them in terms of framing shots etc... I now have an DSLR but most bike pictures are being taken with a $300 Olympus TG4 or android smartphone.

OK. Back to repairing carbon and comparing contrasting with other materials!
Old 10-07-18, 02:58 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
well yeah duh,
cycling seems to be a Athletic kind of a sport with an Athletic dominate customer base.
Well maybe that clarifies it. Where you consider cycling a sport carbon has a place but where you are actually just cycling for fitness, relaxing and commuting its less than ideal. At a premium price I personally don't see why a overly strong road bike frame couldn't be made of carbon but I guess such a bike might end up at lets say 11kg instead of 14kg approx but 11kg would not be impressive to many cyclists and would be a very limited market. When at my heaviest I've always favoured steel and that is the advice I've been given or read. Often steel frames have little concern for weight as they are not competitive in weight terms normally and when they fail they often give prior warning which is very important for a heavy cyclist who likely will do less well hitting the ground at high speed. For a gravel/cyclocross bike I would still favour aluminium myself over carbon. While it may have fatigue issues over the long term it's probably good for 3 years of heavy off road use before the frame becomes significantly weaker. However I accept a perfectly made carbon frame that is only given light abuse would be fine and possibly superior. However I've watched too many Luescher Technik videos on youtube and the perfectly made carbon frame doesn't seem to exist most seem to have manufacturing imperfections which creates a fatigue scenario or a very weak point in the frame.
Old 10-07-18, 08:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I知 looking at carbon fiber gravel/cx bikes and I知 wondering about the pros and cons of carbon fiber. I understand if it cracks it is shot and that can be the whole frame. How do they ride compared to other materials such as titanium and cromoly etc etc. Suggestions?
​​​​​​If the frame cracks, it gets warranted and you get a new one.
Old 10-08-18, 05:54 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a 5 year old carbon fiber bike and I weigh 220lbs. I am not easy on it by no means. I don't avoid every crack or bump in the road and have yet to have any issues. I am currently waiting on the Fuji Jari carbon gravel bike to hit the U.S. in December. I keep a pretty good relationship with a few LBS's , they all say the same thing. They see very very few frame issues from any material.
Old 10-09-18, 08:19 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
I ride a 5 year old carbon fiber bike and I weigh 220lbs. I am not easy on it by no means. I don't avoid every crack or bump in the road and have yet to have any issues. I am currently waiting on the Fuji Jari carbon gravel bike to hit the U.S. in December. I keep a pretty good relationship with a few LBS's , they all say the same thing. They see very very few frame issues from any material.

This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 275 pounds (125 kg).
This is what Trek claims for it's Domane SL that I believe is 500-series OCLV carbon. The bike weighs about 20 pounds so, looks like rider, food, water and accessories could go as big as 255 and not exceed Trek's max-weight limit. Some are probably higher. Even alloy has a weight limit but it my guess is, weight probably will present a greater challenge keeping spoked wheels trued than causing fractures in the bike frame.

Last edited by McBTC; 10-09-18 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 09:40 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I put about 7000 miles on a Trek Domane 5.9 and the stock wheels while easily exceeding 300 lbs of rider + gear when I commuted to work on it 2016. Zero issues with minimal truing needed.

Yet when I commuted on my Emonda SLR 9, I put a small crack in the seat mast on the 3rd ride home at only about 200 lbs of rider + gear.