Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bont Riot Buckle heat moulding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 10:53 AM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

The Bont Riot Buckle shoes I just got are nice save for the slight pinching at the widest point of my feet. I'm wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for slightly flattening the edges at those points? I've thought about using a vice, but I worry that it would damage the bottom of the sole. Should I just take something heavy and press down on the edge?

Speaking of heat moulding, while the instructions say to do it at 60C/160F for 20 minutes but "no longer," my old stove only goes to a minimum of 170F, and even 25 minutes isn't long enough to make the sole pliable at all. Do I need to do it hotter and longer still?
Old 07-10-19, 09:05 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I had the same issue on my bont riots. The sharp spot was on the lateral edge just behind the little toe.

Unfortunately, it's not part of the easily moldable areas.

I used a heat gun to pinpoint the area, heating it well beyond 160F, then pushed from the inside with a screwdriver handle or other blunt object.

If you smell burning, you are overdoing it.

It took a few repeated treatments.

Also, I could still feel a hard area slightly, so after it cooled, I put a strip of 4mm adhesive backed foam on it as well.

Now the shoes are amazing.

Last edited by f4rrest; 07-11-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-10-19, 09:46 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11400 Post(s)
Liked 4,749 Times in 2,764 Posts
200 degrees, and about ten minutes. You can feel when they're able to be formed.
Old 07-10-19, 10:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ovens can be tricky to regulate for low heat. The thermostats are erratic at lower temps. I've tried gas and electric ovens for many projects that require heat and they're useful only at higher temperatures. And the metal racks can transmit much hotter temps than the air temperature inside the oven, so materials can be damaged before they're actually warm enough to do the desired job, whether it's softening thermoplastic materials, or curing spray-on baked finishes for metals.

For 200F or lower temps I usually prefer to set up a hot box using consistent heat sources like light bulbs -- halogen, etc. Much easier to regular temperature using vents, less risk of damaging anything.
Old 07-11-19, 12:39 PM
rousseau

Lots of great ideas here, thanks.

Originally Posted by f4rrest
I had the same issue on my bont riots. The sharp spot was on the lateral edge just behind the little toe.
Yep. At first it's somewhat tolerable, but after about an hour it starts jabbing right into the sides of my feet.

Originally Posted by f4rrest
I used a heat gun to pinpoint the area, heating it well beyond 160F, then pushed from the inside with a screwdriver handle or other blunt object.

If you smell burning, you are overdoing it.

It took a few repeated treatments.

Also, I could still feel a hard area slightly, so after it cooled, I put a strip of 4mm adhesive backed foam on it as well.

Now the shoes are amazing.
I think I'm gonna go to Crappy Tire and pick myself up a heat gun. Sounds like it might be a better idea for pinpointing specific parts of the sole to mould, as in the oven I'd be worried about the bottom of the sole melting into the rack.
Old 07-11-19, 08:33 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by rousseau
Lots of great ideas here, thanks.

Yep. At first it's somewhat tolerable, but after about an hour it starts jabbing right into the sides of my feet.

I think I'm gonna go to Crappy Tire and pick myself up a heat gun. Sounds like it might be a better idea for pinpointing specific parts of the sole to mould, as in the oven I'd be worried about the bottom of the sole melting into the rack.
I did the oven fit first, actually a couple times , and then used the heat gun afterwards.

When you put them in the oven, just add a meat thermometer. If it gets too warm, you can crack the door.
Old 07-17-19, 01:22 PM
rousseau

What worked was 200F for 12 minutes. The previous times at 60C/160F for 20 minutes never softened the sole up enough, but 200F for 12 minutes did the trick.

I put my feet in the shoes and tipped the insides upward while leaning hard on the outside edges to get the lip to flatten. That has made the shoes exponentially more comfortable for me. What I'm wondering, though, is whether anyone has actually made an impression into the sole where the balls of your feet go?

Some slight discomfort in the balls of my feet are the last hurdle here. I may end up using my cushier inserts instead of the ones that came with the Bont shoes. I'm curious, though: wouldn't shaping the sole at the position of the balls of your feet affect the surface of the sole where the cleats make contact?
Old 07-19-19, 07:30 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by rousseau
What worked was 200F for 12 minutes. The previous times at 60C/160F for 20 minutes never softened the sole up enough, but 200F for 12 minutes did the trick.

I put my feet in the shoes and tipped the insides upward while leaning hard on the outside edges to get the lip to flatten. That has made the shoes exponentially more comfortable for me. What I'm wondering, though, is whether anyone has actually made an impression into the sole where the balls of your feet go?

Some slight discomfort in the balls of my feet are the last hurdle here. I may end up using my cushier inserts instead of the ones that came with the Bont shoes. I'm curious, though: wouldn't shaping the sole at the position of the balls of your feet affect the surface of the sole where the cleats make contact?
I don't think the sole will mold at all, since it's embedded in the stiff carbon bottom.

I use insoles anyhow.