Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 Ironman ready for the road.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 05:25 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

All cleaned up and tuned. Took a short spin on it this even and it rides great. At 60 c.m its on the at the upper end of my size but I really like it.
Old 07-10-19, 08:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Nice! I need to get my butt in gear and finish my black 1989 IM Expert.
Old 07-10-19, 09:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Niiice. Classic proportions and look with that saddle, seat post and stem/handlebar height, despite those funky Ironman graphics.

Seriously, once you get the bike and body dialed in, it's almost like a comfort bike. Some days when my neck is aching, I'd rather ride my Ironman than my hybrid. Something about the Ironman fit feels better even on my achy days. Which includes Tuesday's 35 mile ride, half of that with a large group, in really hot weather.

I'd planned to ride my hybridized Univega mountain bike-lite, but for some reason lately it just doesn't feel right and my neck aches more. I raised the stem about 1/2" and tried another saddle, but something just wasn't quite right. And while the Univega's rigid fork is so springy it's almost like a suspension fork, it wasn't a problem with soft or hard ride. It just hasn't felt quite right since my neck was injured by a chiropractor who was way too rough last week. I had it almost perfect in time for Tuesday's group ride, but the rear wheel was creaking too much and I realized I need to adjust the wheel. I need to tighten the non-drive-side spokes, which will change the dish. Then I'll need to swap around the hub spacers. Too much trouble on short notice, so I took the Ironman instead.

Between the Ironman's fork -- a perfect, for me, compromise between springy and good handling -- and 700x25 tires run at lower pressure, it just feels right. A shorter stem courtesy of @RobbieTunes last year really helped.

I've actually considered getting another Ironman that's borderline too large, like a 60 cm. My '89 Expert is 58cm and I'm 5'11", with 33" inseam, so I can get comfortable on anything from a 56cm to 60cm with some adjustments. My Univega is 60cm and what I really like about it is how high I sit. Great vantage point in traffic, and usually the upright position is comfy. With a taller bike you don't need to raise the stem to get more comfortable.

The downside is the longer top tube on some bikes mean you're more stretched out. But usually that can be addressed with the right stem and handlebar.

And my all time favorite racer, Jacques Anquetil, usually favored a bike that was slightly too large for him, with a more stretched out riding position without needing much drop between saddle and handlebar. It doesn't make me any faster, but getting a little more aero from being stretched out sure makes it easier when tackling headwinds.

One of my schemes includes getting another Ironman to convert to a stealth-sporty city bike with albatross or similar swept bars. A 60cm frame would let me flip the bars for a pseudo-path racer style. But it'll need to be black or gray.
Old 07-10-19, 10:30 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Niiice. Classic proportions and look with that saddle, seat post and stem/handlebar height, despite those funky Ironman graphics.

Niiice.

Seriously, once you get the bike and body dialed in, it's almost like a comfort bike. Some days when my neck is aching, I'd rather ride my Ironman than my hybrid. Something about the Ironman fit feels better even on my achy days. Which includes Tuesday's 35 mile ride, half of that with a large group, in really hot weather.

I'd planned to ride my hybridized Univega mountain bike-lite, but for some reason lately it just doesn't feel right and my neck aches more. I raised the stem about 1/2" and tried another saddle, but something just wasn't quite right. And while the Univega's rigid fork is so springy it's almost like a suspension fork, it wasn't a problem with soft or hard ride. It just hasn't felt quite right since my neck was injured by a chiropractor who was way too rough last week. I had it almost perfect in time for Tuesday's group ride, but the rear wheel was creaking too much and I realized I need to adjust the wheel. I need to tighten the non-drive-side spokes, which will change the dish. Then I'll need to swap around the hub spacers. Too much trouble on short notice, so I took the Ironman instead.

Between the Ironman's fork -- a perfect, for me, compromise between springy and good handling -- and 700x25 tires run at lower pressure, it just feels right. A shorter stem courtesy of @RobbieTunes last year really helped.

I've actually considered getting another Ironman that's borderline too large, like a 60 cm. My '89 Expert is 58cm and I'm 5'11", with 33" inseam, so I can get comfortable on anything from a 56cm to 60cm with some adjustments. My Univega is 60cm and what I really like about it is how high I sit. Great vantage point in traffic, and usually the upright position is comfy. With a taller bike you don't need to raise the stem to get more comfortable.

The downside is the longer top tube on some bikes mean you're more stretched out. But usually that can be addressed with the right stem and handlebar.

And my all time favorite racer, Jacques Anquetil, usually favored a bike that was slightly too large for him, with a more stretched out riding position without needing much drop between saddle and handlebar. It doesn't make me any faster, but getting a little more aero from being stretched out sure makes it easier when tackling headwinds.

One of my schemes includes getting another Ironman to convert to a stealth-sporty city bike with albatross or similar swept bars. A 60cm frame would let me flip the bars for a pseudo-path racer style. But it'll need to be black or gray.
Thats strange ,I'm 5'11" and my inseam is 31" so my 58 c.m. 87 Expert is more comfortable to me.
Old 07-11-19, 10:19 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Nice looking bike Robert , glad you are having fun with it . Something to think about , maybe depending on your reach . I would put a much shorter stem on it , something like a 60mm . Also get the shortest crank arms you can find .
Old 07-11-19, 10:42 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Your bike caught my eye. Good job and the eye catcher is the paint job. It compliments your build really well. My guess is that it will prove to be a very comfortable ride, being at the upper limit that you are OK with. Some bikes that have come my way were, according to fit requirements, to big proved to be very comfortable and fun to ride. Well done!
Old 07-11-19, 05:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
World domination. I get it.
Old 07-11-19, 05:40 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
That bike is clean, baby! Sweet looking ride.
Old 07-12-19, 01:50 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I have the same model but since I'm a little guy mine is a 54. I have done some upgrades to mine and will be putting some pretty serious miles on it in just over a week. I haven't been able to ride it much so since the upgrades so I plan to do a 100K group ride day after tomorrow and then its off to RAGBRAI! 428 miles in 7 days.