Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jasper to Yellowstone?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Jasper to Yellowstone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 12:59 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Jasper to Yellowstone?

I have read a number of journals (CGOAB) and it looks like a ride from Jasper to Yellowstone is a great ride. I have some questions.

1) When is the best time to do this ride?

2) At 50-60 miles a day, rest every 3-4 days, how long should it take?

3) It looks like a camping tour. Are there showers at the campgrounds? What about places to buy food to cook?

4) Is it better to start in Jasper or Yellowstone?

5) What is the best way to get out of Jasper before/after the tour (by airplane)

6) Is the Adventure cycling route a good one or are there roads that should be avoded?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 02-14-07, 01:27 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Some info:

1. Best time to ride - Daytime - Heh-heh.
Actually, some roads don't open until mid-May - close by mid-October.
Wildflowers, but wetter - late June to early July.
Peak of summer - late July to early August.
Late season with fewer tourists - late August to early September.

2. From Jackson, WY to Jasper, AB is between 900 and 1000 miles -
Depending on route and detours. 150 WY, 425 MT, 425, AB.
If you bike 5 days per week - definitely 1 full day off and 2 half-days -
Then that would be 3 weeks with between 60 and 67 miles per day.
At 50 miles per day it would be closer to 4 weeks.

3. Most campgrounds do NOT have showers,
but there are a number of larger ones that do.
The camping is more pleasant, however, in the smaller campgrounds.
If you are O.K. with it - take showers when you hit them.
Baby towelettes are a great in-between.

4. I suggest south to north - Yellowstone to Jasper.
Why? You can follow ideal weather north - -
Although catching ideal weather is tough in the Rockies.
It can snow - even in July.
Also, you will have the sun behind you -
Less glare and better views.
Plus the overall elevation has a significant drop heading north.

5. Jasper transportation:
The best air service is from Edmonton - with shuttle connections.
However, VIA Rail has an overnight train from Jasper to Vancouver.
You live in the Northwest, right?
The train may actually be more convenient -
What with bike and all.

6. I have biked nearly every road in the western half of Montana.
The AC route is NOT the best.
In Montana, US 89 is far better. Far better.
Significantly less traffic and much better views.
Riding Going-to-the-Sun Road east to west is much nicer.
Sun on the mountains in the morning - sun on the mountains in the afternoon.
The shortest route is to stay on the east side - plus the views are more expansive.
(The drawback is being exposed to wind.)
If you stay on the east side - ride thru Kananaskis and Banff - super.
The ride in the Columbia Trench via Skookumchuck isn't as spectacular.

Best - J

PS - Remember, the scenery is better when you ride in the daytime.

Here's where my ride starts in Jackson heading north - -
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...id=26428&v=15b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Belt_Mtns_Barn.jpg (76.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-14-07, 01:29 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
I have read a number of journals (CGOAB) and it looks like a ride from Jasper to Yellowstone is a great ride. I have some questions.

1) When is the best time to do this ride?

2) At 50-60 miles a day, rest every 3-4 days, how long should it take?

3) It looks like a camping tour. Are there showers at the campgrounds? What about places to buy food to cook?

4) Is it better to start in Jasper or Yellowstone?

5) What is the best way to get out of Jasper before/after the tour (by airplane)

6) Is the Adventure cycling route a good one or are there roads that should be avoded?

Thanks,

Ray

Hey Ray if ya do that tour this summer try not to collide with me along the way.

(1) Best time. If you start south and head north you can leave a little earlier in the summer; the Canadian rockies are cold at the high elevations all summer long. Still summer weather hits this region by mid June, everywhere. Alot of frequent showers and lingering cloudiness amidst the mountain peaks though.

(2) Give your pace and your probable desire to relax, take some side trips, and sightsee, I'd make it 5 weeks or so for the trip...maybe longer.

(3) I wild camp most of the time, so I am no expert on the availability of campgrounds and showers therein; but closer to the parks along the way you will find the facilities you like. Stores are scattered all along the route in the numerous small towns and intersections along the way. Use your map and get local information from people as you travel about whether, say, a 70 mile stretch without services is coming up. The population has swollen so much in this region in recent years there are not aot of those left.

(4) Personally, I sowuld start in Yellowstone and head north. But either way is beautiful...have done it many times, often on the same tour (up and back).

(5) Not sure what you mean by this. I take the Canadian railways.

(6) I'd get the adventure cycling maps and, again, use the locals for information about good and bad roads. Don't forget with google earth ya can snoop down on the whole route from your computer. I do know that the areas around Missoula and Kalispell Montana are now much more built up than before...but I thoroughly enjoyed traveling thru this region last summer..and intend to do it again this one.

roughstuff
Old 02-14-07, 02:09 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Riding Going-to-the-Sun Road east to west is much nicer.
I'm curious why you think so. Have you ridden up in both directions? Every person I've spoken to who has ridden Going-to-the-Sun thinks that the direction they rode it is the best. I've ridden it twice, but the same direction up (west to east) both times. The 2nd time, however, it was a daytrip and I descended back down the west side, the same way I had come up. I prefer the descent going eastward. In any event, for me, regardless of direction, it's the most beautiful road in North America. The things I like about climbing west to east are that, 1) you can see virtually the entire climb ahead from the bottom before you start; 2) the climb is a constant, gradual grade; 3) as you gain elevation, additional peaks gradually become visible. The scenery was ever changing and simply superb.

It's true, as you wrote, that the views are more expansive on the east side. However, I found the views on the west side to be more dramatic.

On the west side of Going-to-the-Sun, there are hours when cyclists are forbidden during most of the summer. Check the National Park Service website for details.

I rode from Colorado to Jasper many years ago. Nice ride. I had excessive heat the entire time. It's true there's a lot more traffic in parts of western Montana now. The Swan river valley was a great ride years ago. Now the traffic level is quite high and I don't think I'd want to tour on it.

If you go south to north, just when you think you've tackled the worst of the passes and approach Jasper, you'll have to deal with Sunwapta Pass, a nasty little climb!
Old 02-14-07, 02:40 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Axo -

I've done GTTS Road more than a half dozen times. One time I camped at Sunrise and did it without panniers up and back - - a cakewalk without the weight. I agree that it is spectacular whichever way. I've done it both ways - - no snickers, please. First off, there's significantly less climbing to do (maybe 1000 feet) going east to west. Second, as I mentioned the sun is behind your back in the morning when you are climbing from the east illuminating the peaks and making for superb photos. Same applies in the afternoon when you turn around to take photos of the Weeping Wall and Haystack Butte - the sun is with you. Third, you have a bike closure uphill on the west side after 11 a.m. There's no similar closure on the east side uphill, and you can ride downhill on the west side at any time. I like to get the earliest start possible whichever direction since traffic is lighter - so maybe it's a moot point. Still, there's no pressure to get to Logan Pass by 11:00. If I want to stop and hike or see some wildlife or eat a whole bag of Oreos - I don't have to worry.

Going downhill on the west side I stop often to enjoy the views and let my brakes cool down. There is no law about stopping going downhill. I find the temptation is greater to wail all the way down the hill on the east side since the terrain isn't as extreme; thus, you miss some incredible views on that side. You can't lose either way - - just a preference.

And as for the more general east side / west side comment - - that is less about Glacier N.P. and more about the routes leading to and away from the park. Highway 83 on the west side has very limited views. Highway 89 on the east side is an ever-changing panorama. Like wise in Canada - the views are more expansive on the Alberta side - - but the winds are more extensive, too.

PS - Yes, Sunwapta is a climb - but if you camp at Rampart Creek or stay at the hostel, you can tackle it in the morning when you are fresh - stop for a break in the Icefields Centre (AKA - Brewster owns the parks) - and zoom down along the Sunwapta River after lunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Going_to_the_Sun_Road.jpg (84.3 KB, 18 views)