Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What I learned while riding through Oklahoma

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 11:11 PM
Scubasteve1808

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sdfsdf

Last edited by Scubasteve1808; 08-06-20 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 01:27 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Good read. Yes, cycle touring is an adventure, and it doesn't take long to realise that what actually happens can be quite different to theory and what we envisage in our minds beforehand.

You seemed to cope quite well with the heat, and finding accommodation of some sort. And you have learned very early on what some of us forget... take your time and do the things you wouldn't think of doing travelling by motor vehicle.

Oh and friendly is as friendly does.
Old 07-17-13, 04:46 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting. It was a good read. We have our touring wings clipped for awhile, so it was good to live parts of your trip.
Old 07-17-13, 06:04 AM
reed523

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to see a local (almost) on here. I'll be following along!

Originally Posted by Scubasteve1808
So I spent the past 4 days riding though Oklahoma. I'm a Tulsa native and will be riding solo through South America for 5 months starting in December. I've spent the past year or so building by bike (with the help of bikeforums) and I used this trip as a time to test me gear, my abilities, etc. A lot of my pre-conceived perceptions changed once I started riding and I thought you guys might be interested in seeing a few photos and reading what all I thought about. I've linked to my web page but please note that I do not receive any compensation for views or anything. It's merely easier for me to update than posting photo by photo here and I'd still like to share it with you all

If you'd like to tak a gander, you can check it out here.

Cheers.

Andrew
Old 07-17-13, 06:39 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
I biked across Oklahoma from Black Mesa east 101 years ago - early October - perfect time of year.
Took the GRE at OPSU - slept by the ball fields. Also visited the music faculty at Northwestern in Alva.
To this day, I had the best tailwinds of any trip - - ever - - stretched out my arms and went 20 mph.

A note about random camping in the Great Plains states:
Most of the states permit "roadside" resting and the counties own right of way on county roads.
If you ride 1/2 mile or so off of a paved road - maybe a mile -
You can usually find a nice spot where farm roads intersect with an area to the side that is semi-clear.
If you wait to evening - there will rarely be any traffic to speak of until morning - but tractors will be out early.

Nice write-up of your trip - - J
Old 07-17-13, 06:44 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice read but goodness, 60lbs of gears?
Old 07-17-13, 07:04 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I'm a "born and raised" Okie and have lived here for 45 years and have been riding a bike for much of that time. I haven't read your article yet or the comments following it but here is my prediction: Some mention of WIND.

ETA: I was curious about what your bike is so I went back to your blog and saw your photo and immediately was reminded of some of the family members of one of my best friends and then I saw your name. Do you have an uncle who is a veterinarian and another who was a science teacher for years? Do you have cousins named Steven, David and James? Do you have a cousin who is a professional musician? The family I know has roots in Tulsa and small town near Tulsa...maybe Chandler? The guys tend to be tall, analytical and to have a very adventurous spirit.

Last edited by corwin1968; 07-17-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 08:27 AM
reed523

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
I biked across Oklahoma from Black Mesa east 101 years ago - early October - perfect time of year.
Took the GRE at OPSU - slept by the ball fields. Also visited the music faculty at Northwestern in Alva.
To this day, I had the best tailwinds of any trip - - ever - - stretched out my arms and went 20 mph.

A note about random camping in the Great Plains states:
Most of the states permit "roadside" resting and the counties own right of way on county roads.
If you ride 1/2 mile or so off of a paved road - maybe a mile -
You can usually find a nice spot where farm roads intersect with an area to the side that is semi-clear.
If you wait to evening - there will rarely be any traffic to speak of until morning - but tractors will be out early.

Nice write-up of your trip - - J
Hi J,
One thing has changed recently down here. Although we aren't getting the attention that North Dakota is, oilfield activity is having a MAJOR impact on localized areas. Be advised you might be disappointed if you are planning a nice quiet ride-if you are on the wrong road, it is going to be most unpleasant. Try to check with a local before riding through here.
Old 07-17-13, 09:27 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done several tours in Oklahoma and consider it a top notch state for touring. People, roads, overnighting, attractions. Bunch of nicely spaced state parks.
Old 07-17-13, 07:54 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubasteve1808
Glad you all enjoyed reading it. I haven't got much pf an audience aside from my friends and family and I'm always looking to share my experiences. Hyhuu, I brought so much gear because I was trying to replicate what I would be riding while in South America. It sounds like a lot but a lot of my equipment is just heavy. Corwin, I've got a lot of family in Tulsa however none that meet the criteria you posted above.
Probably just coincidence then. Most of the folks I mentioned are in the Oklahoma City area but they originally came from the Tulsa area.