Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shout out to a decent cheap glove

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 03-31-20, 06:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts

took my drop bar barmitts off & neglected to put them back on for a ride in the rain the other day. thought I timed my ride w/ a break in the weather. while I did, the break actually included cold light rain, approx 39 degrees. I brought back up gloves thinking I'd have to change them out mid ride, but turns out this pair lasted the whole 2 hours & could have lasted longer. I bought these a cpl years ago but never used them for cycling. they make a nice thick but nimble work glove. great for moving stuff like broken storm doors. anyway 3 pair for $20 is a good value & I had no trouble using my brifters or using my camera controls

Vgo 3Pairs 32℉ or above 3M Thinsulate C40 Lined Pigskin Leather Warm Winter Cold Storage Frozen Safety Working Gloves(Size XXL,Blue,PA7620F)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-31-20 at 06:25 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-31-20, 06:25 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Do you think the size runs large, small, or what you’d expect?
Old 03-31-20, 12:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Do you think the size runs large, small, or what you’d expect?
I'm happy with the XXL. gloves never seem to be large enough for me. I often find "large" sized gloves too restricting. the XXLs seem to be true to size & fit me just right, easy on/off, etc. if you don't have my problem & large works for you, I think these would be fine. I'd be willing to guess the medium would fit my adult 20 + yr old son just fine. was that helpful?

just a reminder, this is a work glove not a "cycling" glove
Old 04-03-20, 09:25 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'm happy with the XXL. gloves never seem to be large enough for me. I often find "large" sized gloves too restricting. the XXLs seem to be true to size & fit me just right, easy on/off, etc. if you don't have my problem & large works for you, I think these would be fine. I'd be willing to guess the medium would fit my adult 20 + yr old son just fine. was that helpful?

just a reminder, this is a work glove not a "cycling" glove
Great suggestion! I have some work gloves for doing the "Grease work" on the bicycle. I didn't even think that I could use them for riding! Question: how much padding on palms do you get with the work gloves compared to something like Bontrager?
Old 04-03-20, 11:24 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by parkbrav
Great suggestion! I have some work gloves for doing the "Grease work" on the bicycle. I didn't even think that I could use them for riding! Question: how much padding on palms do you get with the work gloves compared to something like Bontrager?
well I wouldn'r consider them "padded on the palms" at all. they're insulated so they are a little thicker all over, but not water proof. I think they are designed for ppl working in a freezer? they are not bulky like ski gloves. I have no idea if they would be any good in real cold weather. I was happily surprise they held up in light cold rain the other day((cold light rain, approx 39 degrees, for 2 hours)) the fingers seem well protected

Old 04-03-20, 12:02 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by parkbrav
work gloves for riding
I came across these work gloves that I decided to try last summer, for commuting, because of their color. they're not insulated & not padded. but they work well as a commuter glove. but as seen in this pic work well for summer mountain biking

Old 04-09-20, 10:20 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
These are what I use for "mild" temps:
https://www.fullsource.com/mcr-safety-n9690fc

If there is a chilly rain those gloves are good, so long as it isn't too cold.

My go-to cold gloves are a pair of Hestra mitts - C-Zone's.

I'd say I am probably more of a common case with hands in the cycling community in that I get numbness and circulation problems in my hands. Because of that my hands get cold real fast. I have a pretty narrow range of temps where the Ninja Ice gloves work for me. Even in that range if I am out all day on a trip I have to wear my mitts. With my fingers together they share the heat more than individual fingers. If that doesn't work I toss some hand warmer packets in them down by my fingers. There is a pretty big thick line between too cold with the mitts without hand warmers and too warm with the hand warmers. However, I've found I would much rather have them too warm, have my hands and forearms sweat, then take the gloves off to moderate, then get back in them than deal with hands that don't work.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 04-30-20, 07:53 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
These are what I use for "mild" temps:
https://www.fullsource.com/mcr-safety-n9690fc

If there is a chilly rain those gloves are good, so long as it isn't too cold.

My go-to cold gloves are a pair of Hestra mitts - C-Zone's.

I'd say I am probably more of a common case with hands in the cycling community in that I get numbness and circulation problems in my hands. Because of that my hands get cold real fast. I have a pretty narrow range of temps where the Ninja Ice gloves work for me. Even in that range if I am out all day on a trip I have to wear my mitts. With my fingers together they share the heat more than individual fingers. If that doesn't work I toss some hand warmer packets in them down by my fingers. There is a pretty big thick line between too cold with the mitts without hand warmers and too warm with the hand warmers. However, I've found I would much rather have them too warm, have my hands and forearms sweat, then take the gloves off to moderate, then get back in them than deal with hands that don't work.
have you ever tried barmitts? They let me use a lighter glove but in bad days legit winter gloves but I bring light gloves I can switch to so I never have to deal w wet hands. They make barmitts for drop and straight bars- a cpl if the best things I ever got for my bikes
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-30-20, 10:40 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Ive never tried bar mitts. I know they exist. We'll see what the future brings. Id rather ride when it is warmer anyway, but I do try to get some miles in with cooler temps also. If I end up with a lot more riding in cooler weather the bar mitts may be worth a closer look.
Old 05-08-20, 09:24 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I've used bar mitts when the temps drop below 40 degrees and they work great. My hands were nice and warm with breaking sweats. My co-workers had no idea bar mitts existed until they saw them on my bike. Some went out and bought mitts afterwards and thanked me for introducing to them lol.
Likes For Pugs2xLove: