Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Old 09-19-19, 03:48 PM
  #51  
Alligator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alligator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For now, I’m car-lite, but not car-free yet. I will have completed four rides into work this week after tomorrow, but I drove on Wednesday because of two reasons: (1) I was physically exhausted since I’m not used to biking this much yet, and (2) it was pouring rain. I did get some rain gear, and have ridden in the rain, but for some reason I don’t have the endurance yet that I thought I had. I guess biking a couple of times a week for shorter distances does not mean you can instantly switch to 20+ miles a day, everyday. I hope to be biking all week soon. Biking to work is great once you are really familiar with the roads and your commute - then it feels very comfortable. As an added bonus, they just repaved one of the streets I use, so the road is VERY smooth!

Still, I consider this great progress. I love the cooler weather of fall, and I still enjoy biking in the winter. I’m just not sure how well plowed the roads on my commute will be, but I guess I’ll find out.
Alligator is offline  
Old 09-20-19, 09:48 AM
  #52  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 3,918

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 139 Posts
Nice!

It took me many years to build up to daily bike commutes, it doesn't have to take years, but I didn't push it.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 11-30-19, 03:35 AM
  #53  
alpharalpha
Member
 
alpharalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Hillsborough County, FL
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've pretty much always used my bike; even when I had a car I'd often bike instead; haven't had car in over 15yrs.
alpharalpha is offline  
Likes For alpharalpha:
Old 01-19-20, 05:24 PM
  #54  
Lucillle
Lucille
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I am retired and happily car free.
Lucillle is offline  
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 01-19-20, 08:04 PM
  #55  
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Decatur, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 874

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
I am retired and happily car free.
Lucky duck! I am still many(?) years away and hating each time I feel necessary to drive. Today I had to dodge, within an hour, two BMW's. One never stopped coming, despite my screaming horn, and I had to swervingly dodge him and an oncoming road post.... I often feel safer on my bike....
Digger Goreman is offline  
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 01-23-20, 09:24 PM
  #56  
Steve06119
Junior Member
 
Steve06119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 18

Bikes: Cannondale Quick + Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
Iím changing jobs again soon, and Iíll be working 10 miles from home. Iíve biked the distance many times in the past, and can commute to work in 40-45 minutes. However, Iíve never biked to work every day of the week, all year round. Winter here will be challenging, but Iíve ridden in the winter before. Iím thinking of making a commitment to myself to try biking 100% of the time to work to start my car-free living.

Have you ever made a commitment to yourself (or someone else) which caused you to become car free? If so, did you make it? If not, what caused you to fail?
IĎm 58 year old New Englander (CT), and I commute fairly frequently on my bike and would LOVE to one day get rid of my vehicles. No better way to get around, get healthy, save $ and have fun. My wife and son think Iím crazy! Steve

My 2010 Cannondale Quick
Steve06119 is offline  
Likes For Steve06119:
Old 01-24-20, 08:37 PM
  #57  
Alligator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alligator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve06119 View Post
IĎm 58 year old New Englander (CT), and I commute fairly frequently on my bike and would LOVE to one day get rid of my vehicles. No better way to get around, get healthy, save $ and have fun. My wife and son think Iím crazy! Steve
Saw your post in the other commuting topic, and was glad someone referred you to this one. Youíll fit right in. Welcome and I share the same thoughts as you. And letting others think you are crazy is half the fun!
Alligator is offline  
Likes For Alligator:
Old 01-24-20, 10:15 PM
  #58  
Steve06119
Junior Member
 
Steve06119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 18

Bikes: Cannondale Quick + Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
Saw your post in the other commuting topic, and was glad someone referred you to this one. Youíll fit right in. Welcome and I share the same thoughts as you. And letting others think you are crazy is half the fun!
Hi Alligator - Thanks so much for confirming Iím in the right place. I just find cycling as I get older is becoming more and more apart of my life. Ride On!
Steve06119 is offline  
Old 01-25-20, 06:17 PM
  #59  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,091

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 452 Posts
I don't own a car but sometimes I'll get someone to drive me someplace if it's too far to get there by bicycle in the time I have. Does that make me no longer car-free?

If a person uses a taxi or an Uber does that mean they are no longer car free? After all in both cases they are making use of a car.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-03-20, 11:22 AM
  #60  
PDXCarless
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Portland (PDX), OR
Posts: 41

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
My wife and I are carless. We moved back and forth between Portland and London multiple times and just got tired of buying/selling cars. We were already biking just about everywhere but had one car for my commute to my job in the suburbs of Portland. My current job does not require a highway so we are fully carless. It's not difficult in Portland, at all. We can afford cars, but really dislike driving and would rather have the estimated $10k a year for something other than cars. We keep track of all of our bike expenses as well as the times when we have to use Lyft or rent a car for a weekend road trip. It's usually less than $1000 per year for the both of us, combined. Factor in our lack of need of a gym membership and the extra time we save by not sitting in traffic and it's a real no-brainer.
PDXCarless is offline  
Likes For PDXCarless:
Old 02-03-20, 09:00 PM
  #61  
Steve06119
Junior Member
 
Steve06119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 18

Bikes: Cannondale Quick + Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCarless View Post
My wife and I are carless. We moved back and forth between Portland and London multiple times and just got tired of buying/selling cars. We were already biking just about everywhere but had one car for my commute to my job in the suburbs of Portland. My current job does not require a highway so we are fully carless. It's not difficult in Portland, at all. We can afford cars, but really dislike driving and would rather have the estimated $10k a year for something other than cars. We keep track of all of our bike expenses as well as the times when we have to use Lyft or rent a car for a weekend road trip. It's usually less than $1000 per year for the both of us, combined. Factor in our lack of need of a gym membership and the extra time we save by not sitting in traffic and it's a real no-brainer.
BRAVO! Congratulations - Steve
Steve06119 is offline  
Old 04-04-20, 05:29 PM
  #62  
julianface
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just moved to Edmonton, one of the most car dependent cities out there. Going to have a go at riding year round. It's been -15 here all week (YES in April!). I've never seen such scarce bicycle listings either.
julianface is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 10:43 AM
  #63  
monkeytusmc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 16

Bikes: 2009 TREK Madone Project One, Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", Zunow Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
i have been pondering this for a while, at least dropping down to 1 car for me and my family. I have a couple questions for the veterans,

- how do you get groceries to the house? do you just buy a little bit at a time?
- If you own a house, what about bringing larger items home? (im thinking home project type stuff)
- keeping your clothes decent for work, especially during bad weather or in the summer?
monkeytusmc is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 04:02 PM
  #64  
PDXCarless
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Portland (PDX), OR
Posts: 41

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeytusmc View Post
i have been pondering this for a while, at least dropping down to 1 car for me and my family. I have a couple questions for the veterans,

- how do you get groceries to the house? do you just buy a little bit at a time?
- If you own a house, what about bringing larger items home? (im thinking home project type stuff)
- keeping your clothes decent for work, especially during bad weather or in the summer?
1) We get the bulk of our groceries through a delivery service (Imperfect Foods) but we lived for years without a car just getting what we needed a bit at a time on our bikes or walking. My wife and I use an app with a running grocery list that we share. One or both of us stop by a grocery store on the way home from work pretty frequently. The bonus to this method is you will be more efficient in that you will rarely buy too much of something so less will go bad in the fridge.

2) I have a Burley bike trailor rated for 100lbs or so. I've maxed that out with a tall stack of lumber, furniture, etc. You also can get items delivered for free over a certain price, at most places. Sometimes, we do short-term car rentals using Getaround but this is pretty rare. We have an elderly neighbor that we are constantly running errands for or helping her with some task. We'll borrow her Subaru occasionally, but this is also quite rare......I'm talking once a quarter to take the cats to the vet (this is where we draw the line, traumatizing our pets with a bike ride through a city on the way to their version of hell)

3) Clothes are easy for me. My office has a secured bike room and showers. I also have a belt-drive bike so grease wouldn't be the issue if I didn't have those facilities. It'd mostly be about sweat or inclement weather. My wife's office has no showers and she has a chain drive. She's a therapist and has to see people face to face all day. It doesn't seem to be an issue for her, but it's an easy 2.5 mile commute.

In the end, these will all feel like inconveniences until you get used to it. Once the fitness and financial benefits kick in none of it seems like a big deal. All issues are solvable.
PDXCarless is offline  
Likes For PDXCarless:
Old 05-05-20, 08:21 PM
  #65  
cooker
Prefers Cicero
 
cooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,838

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCarless View Post
1) We get the bulk of our groceries through a delivery service (Imperfect Foods) but we lived for years without a car just getting what we needed a bit at a time on our bikes or walking. My wife and I use an app with a running grocery list that we share. One or both of us stop by a grocery store on the way home from work pretty frequently. The bonus to this method is you will be more efficient in that you will rarely buy too much of something so less will go bad in the fridge.

2) I have a Burley bike trailor rated for 100lbs or so. I've maxed that out with a tall stack of lumber, furniture, etc. You also can get items delivered for free over a certain price, at most places. Sometimes, we do short-term car rentals using Getaround but this is pretty rare. We have an elderly neighbor that we are constantly running errands for or helping her with some task. We'll borrow her Subaru occasionally, but this is also quite rare......I'm talking once a quarter to take the cats to the vet (this is where we draw the line, traumatizing our pets with a bike ride through a city on the way to their version of hell)

3) Clothes are easy for me. My office has a secured bike room and showers. I also have a belt-drive bike so grease wouldn't be the issue if I didn't have those facilities. It'd mostly be about sweat or inclement weather. My wife's office has no showers and she has a chain drive. She's a therapist and has to see people face to face all day. It doesn't seem to be an issue for her, but it's an easy 2.5 mile commute.

In the end, these will all feel like inconveniences until you get used to it. Once the fitness and financial benefits kick in none of it seems like a big deal. All issues are solvable.
Are you sure the cats wouldn't enjoy the bike ride? What about taking them to some non vet destinations so they don't think of the bike trip as tumbrel ride to the guillotine?
cooker is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 09:18 PM
  #66  
monkeytusmc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 16

Bikes: 2009 TREK Madone Project One, Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", Zunow Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCarless View Post
1) We get the bulk of our groceries through a delivery service (Imperfect Foods) but we lived for years without a car just getting what we needed a bit at a time on our bikes or walking. My wife and I use an app with a running grocery list that we share. One or both of us stop by a grocery store on the way home from work pretty frequently. The bonus to this method is you will be more efficient in that you will rarely buy too much of something so less will go bad in the fridge.

2) I have a Burley bike trailor rated for 100lbs or so. I've maxed that out with a tall stack of lumber, furniture, etc. You also can get items delivered for free over a certain price, at most places. Sometimes, we do short-term car rentals using Getaround but this is pretty rare. We have an elderly neighbor that we are constantly running errands for or helping her with some task. We'll borrow her Subaru occasionally, but this is also quite rare......I'm talking once a quarter to take the cats to the vet (this is where we draw the line, traumatizing our pets with a bike ride through a city on the way to their version of hell)

3) Clothes are easy for me. My office has a secured bike room and showers. I also have a belt-drive bike so grease wouldn't be the issue if I didn't have those facilities. It'd mostly be about sweat or inclement weather. My wife's office has no showers and she has a chain drive. She's a therapist and has to see people face to face all day. It doesn't seem to be an issue for her, but it's an easy 2.5 mile commute.

In the end, these will all feel like inconveniences until you get used to it. Once the fitness and financial benefits kick in none of it seems like a big deal. All issues are solvable.

That cat comment had me laughing. great advice, i appreciate your input.

Mike
monkeytusmc is offline  
Old 05-12-20, 03:44 PM
  #67  
SB01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd love to be able to give up my car - given up flying for a few years now but the car seems impossible to get rid of where I live.
SB01 is offline  
Old 05-12-20, 09:22 PM
  #68  
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Decatur, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 874

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 177 Posts
After seeing another increase in my car insurance (today), after not costing them a dime in over 10 years, asked wife about selling car. Short conversation turned "no" quickly. Even though we could be considered "car light" already.

Different when you share your world with another... but not willing to change that!
Digger Goreman is offline  
Old 05-13-20, 11:30 PM
  #69  
Booger1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gaseous Cloud around Uranus
Posts: 3,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I build cars for a living,haven't driven a car for 30 years......on the street.
Booger1 is offline  
Old 05-14-20, 12:39 PM
  #70  
jack pot 
Fxxxxr
 
jack pot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: falfurrias texas
Posts: 523

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 140 Posts
i will always own a powered vehicle BUT over the last 3 years i have sold my motorcycle & drive less miles than i bike > with this COVID crisis hanging over everything my cars have been parked for almost 10 weeks ( i drive each once a week to just to maintain & treat the dog)
__________________
... and so it goes
jack pot is offline  
Old 05-15-20, 08:35 AM
  #71  
StargazeCyclist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't bother to get a driving license. I suppose I am committed.
StargazeCyclist is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 04:39 PM
  #72  
Pugs2xLove
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
Love my Veloster which I use during the Winter months and to transport my bike (from/to) other Counties so I can try different trails within the State and it's good on gas. Can't go car-free in my household because my wife will always have her SUV but I have been driving less with the weather getting warmer and better. In fact, the current tank in my Veloster has lasted me three weeks so far and I have about 110 miles until empty.
Pugs2xLove is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 04:56 PM
  #73  
velojym
Senior Member
 
velojym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 424

Bikes: 2000 Kona Jake the Snake, Surly LHT, Montague Paratrooper, Cannondale M500, Santana Arriva, Bridgestone 200, Trek 1200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 72 Posts
Went super car lite for a few years, and it worked pretty well where I was. Still used my van for some of the more obvious purposes.
Never had a thing against cars (philosophically, if I want folks to accept me and my choices, I reciprocate), but *do* have a problem with people who choose not to get along and play well with others... no matter what their mode of transport.
velojym is offline  
Old 05-26-20, 08:21 AM
  #74  
SuperDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 202

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't owned a car since 1993, nor a license since 1998. Guess you could say I'm committed.
SuperDave is offline  
Likes For SuperDave:
Old 05-26-20, 07:13 PM
  #75  
PeugeotAndGo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are some excellent, helpful (and not so helpful) comments in here.

I am working on the "commitment," aspect and taking it day by day. It was much easier when I lived in a dense metropolitan area!
PeugeotAndGo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.