Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

If you get doored, who's at fault?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

If you get doored, who's at fault?

Old 06-19-20, 08:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have posted myself about similar close occurences.

In the case of the bus, this wasn't even a stopped vehicle, the car situations generally involve someone stopping and hopping out almost instantaneously. So far there's been time to scream, but it was really close.
Old 06-19-20, 01:14 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Anybody who blames the cyclists for being in the door-zone is absolving all drivers of their responsibility to look before opening the doorm

Furthermore, such logic is what bad drivers use to argue that bicyclist don't belong on the road in the same lane with them.

So it's the driver's fault. A cyclist can take all the precautions he can but it's all negated by a driver who isn't paying attention as he should when he accepted his drivers licence.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-19-20, 01:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but this law firm says it's the driver's fault in Wisconsin.

https://www.griessmeyerlaw.com/wisconsin-bicycle-laws
Old 06-19-20, 02:16 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
IMO, that's why there shouldn't be a bike lane.
Maybe. But cyclists were being run down when forced to share lanes with 4,000lb. passenger cars. Bike lanes are now a thing. A big thing. They aren't going away. As I understand it, the QWERTY layout of your computer keyboard is not the best way to lay out keys on a keyboard. It was done to slow typists down so that the primitive mechanisms of the day could keep up. Now that we have better mechanicals in our keyboards we 'could' move to more efficient keyboard layouts. Not happening. People adapt. The majority adapt.
Old 06-19-20, 02:52 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm not a lawyer, but this law firm says it's the driver's fault in Wisconsin.

https://www.griessmeyerlaw.com/wisconsin-bicycle-laws
Well AFTER the Wisconson statute 346.94(20) took effect, rather than ticketing the driver, my friend was ticketed for violating 346.07(2) - failure to pass with a safe distance.

Luckily his injuries were minor, though the seat tube of the bike of all things did not fair well.

-mr. bill
Old 06-19-20, 03:24 PM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Watch out for parked '73 Impala Sport Coupes, the doors are larger & heaver than some modern cars.

Old 06-19-20, 03:43 PM
mr_bill

Watch out for Unicorns too. I hear their rainbows temporarily blind.

-mr. bill
Old 06-19-20, 03:48 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Driver...

I got doored when I was 18... the door zone on a 1980s Camaro belinetta is the other side of the street. We made eye contact, I watched him get in the car and close his door ...only to open it again. The rest is history and permanent damage to my right hand middle finger.
Old 06-19-20, 04:03 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If the other guy has a better lawyer, then it's your fault.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 06-19-20, 04:28 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Well AFTER the Wisconson statute 346.94(20) took effect, rather than ticketing the driver, my friend was ticketed for violating 346.07(2) - failure to pass with a safe distance.

Luckily his injuries were minor, though the seat tube of the bike of all things did not fair well.

-mr. bill
Yes, my google search located an article about this too. This web page pretty much says: Take the lane.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/safet...ike/rules.aspx
Old 06-19-20, 06:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Anybody who blames the cyclists for being in the door-zone is absolving all drivers of their responsibility to look before opening the doorm

Furthermore, such logic is what bad drivers use to argue that bicyclist don't belong on the road in the same lane with them.

So it's the driver's fault. A cyclist can take all the precautions he can but it's all negated by a driver who isn't paying attention as he should when he accepted his drivers licence.
If a bicyclist took "all the precautions he can" then the bicyclist would NOT be riding in the door zone. Expect the unexpected? That means expecting a door to be opened if you are in the door zone. Seeing what the consequences can be for getting doored = serious injury or death, I just stay out of the door zone. It doesn't matter to me if the driver is at fault or not for not looking before opening the door. If I get doored and knocked down into a traffic lane and a vehicle then drives over my head killing me (as happened not too long ago to a bicyclist) the driver being at fault is not going to bring me back to life or cure my injuries.

Ride in the door zone if you want to but please do realize that doing so near stopped or parked vehicles is quite dangerous the the bicyclist doing so.

Cheers
Old 06-19-20, 06:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
wow! the video makes a good point about your instinctive reaction is to swerve away from a sudden door opening. In which case, you swerve into traffic...which might be worse than geeting doored.
You mean like these bicyclists?

https://www.nsnews.com/news/north-va...ath-1.23882978

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...laid-1.5209489

https://wakefordlaw.com/accident-new...pens-car-door/

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ticle-1.191836

https://abc7news.com/tess-rothstein-...treet/5187451/

Many in this list too.

https://bicyclesafe.com/doorprize.html

It's why I refuse to ride in the door zone.

You can search YouTube with: bicyclist killed by opening car door

Cheers
Old 06-19-20, 08:58 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'd consider a dooring incident my fault, whether I was exiting my car or riding my bike. It's not difficult to avoid either.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-19-20, 09:05 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
The driver is at fault.

​​​​​​But your real concern is (should be) to avoid being doored in the first place.

Since you have no control over what door openers do, you have to position yourself out of the space that doors can be opened into.

If you are doored, you've already lost. Maybe, even dead.

Finding fault is a minor way to improve a bad situation. It's kind-of too late.
​​​​​
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-19-20, 09:12 PM
Gresp15C

The problem with "fault" is that it's either a legal or moral distinction applied after the damage has been done. And safety involves what you do before the damage can be done. So they are unrelated to one another. I take heed of my mom's advice when she taught me to ride a bike, and later, to drive: "Always assume the other drivers are blind idiots."
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-20-20, 12:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Here was the situation.

Two lanes eastbound. Stopped car in the right lane. Bicyclist or other vehicle should move into the left lane to pass the stopped vehicle. Bicyclist elected to stay in the right land and squeeze by the stopped vehicle. Door of stopped vehicle opens and bicyclist runs into and is catapulted off the bicycle and over the door. Had the bicyclist been a motor vehicle he's have been in the wrong for not moving into the adjacent left lane in order to pass the stopped vehicle.
Ah, well. That's a horse of a different color.

Two lanes, and vehicles in the one lane decide to "squeeze by" anyway, failing in their duty as vehicles on that roadway. Whether a bike or skateboard or car, you're right, shouldn't matter: attempt to squeeze two vehicles into a single lane, where anyone in that single lane is thinking there's zero chance of an in-lane attempt at a pass ... well, that pretty much puts the owness on the one attempting the squeeze. In that case, the cyclist.
Old 06-20-20, 04:39 AM
mr_bill

You mean like these bicyclists?

It's why I refuse to ride in the door zone.

You can search YouTube with: bicyclist killed by opening car door

Cheers
Do you refuse to ride near other cyclists?

In your your rushed distasteful zeal to google that stuff....

“Police say a driver was parked in the curb lane on the north side of of West Esplanade on Jan. 27, when he is alleged to have opened his door into the adjacent bike lane, which set off a chain reaction crash, hitting one westbound cyclist who then crashed into McIntosh.

-mr. bill
Old 06-20-20, 06:50 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
It's always the other scenarios that are more legally interesting...

- passenger getting out of a car
- passenger getting out of a cab or Uber
- passenger opening kerbside door of a stationary car that is in a traffic lane (ie not parked, just held up by traffic)

and so on.
Old 06-20-20, 09:09 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by JonnyHK
It's always the other scenarios that are more legally interesting...

- passenger getting out of a car
- passenger getting out of a cab or Uber
- passenger opening kerbside door of a stationary car that is in a traffic lane (ie not parked, just held up by traffic)

and so on.

(In case not available in your jurisdiction, trailer to Lady Bird Movie.)

Slightly more likely than a Close Encounter of the 1973 Chevy Impala Kind.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 06-20-20, 11:27 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
I ride fixed in urban areas ... bike lanes are "advisory" to most cars ... getting doored is on me but there are some things that you just can't expect
Old 06-20-20, 02:51 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If a bicyclist took "all the precautions he can" then the bicyclist would NOT be riding in the door zone. Expect the unexpected? That means expecting a door to be opened if you are in the door zone. Seeing what the consequences can be for getting doored = serious injury or death, I just stay out of the door zone. It doesn't matter to me if the driver is at fault or not for not looking before opening the door. If I get doored and knocked down into a traffic lane and a vehicle then drives over my head killing me (as happened not too long ago to a bicyclist) the driver being at fault is not going to bring me back to life or cure my injuries.

Ride in the door zone if you want to but please do realize that doing so near stopped or parked vehicles is quite dangerous the the bicyclist doing so.

Cheers
Of course he should not be riding in the door zone to begin with. However, how far out should he be riding and then getting side-swiped on the left by an inattentive bad driver? To avoid that, take the lane and then get other types of drivers annoyed and try to bully you out of the way. It goes on and on and it all depends upon the driver you encounter.

So again, it's the drivers' fault.
Old 06-20-20, 07:52 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Of course he should not be riding in the door zone to begin with. However, how far out should he be riding and then getting side-swiped on the left by an inattentive bad driver? To avoid that, take the lane and then get other types of drivers annoyed and try to bully you out of the way. It goes on and on and it all depends upon the driver you encounter.

So again, it's the drivers' fault.
First, even if it's the driver's fault it does NOT help a bicyclist who gets doored, knocked down into the traffic lane, and t hen run over and seriously injured or killed. That bicyclist is still seriously injured or dead.

Second. The videos I posted links to upthread show how far out fro a stopped/parked vehicle a bicyclist needs t o be in order to avoid the door zone.

Third. From what I can find, it seems t hat there are a LOT more bicyclists who get doored (injured or killed) than there are bicyclists who get side-swiped because the bicyclist is out of the door zone.

Cheers
Old 06-20-20, 08:58 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Generally the driver because the bicycle is moving on the street whilst the car is parked. It would be the driver's responsibility to make sure if it is safe to open the door. Now if the bicycle is on a sidewalk then I would say it would be the bicyclist's fault as the bike is not allowed to be ridden there.
Old 06-21-20, 06:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
You claim to be living in a former British colony in Asia. Look up the local law.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-21-20, 03:14 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.