Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Santa Cruz Reserve Wheels goes all in

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 06:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

I guess they got Enve envy, judging by their new pricepoint.

https://www.reservewheels.com

Still, if I were to get plastic wheels, these look tempting.

Old 07-06-20, 10:26 PM
stoheaven21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice!
Old 07-07-20, 10:23 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I’m not sold. There doesn’t seem to be anything unique about these wheels.

$1800 for somewhat generic rims laced to DT 350 hubs? If you believe yourself likely to demolish your rims, then I could see these being more attractive.

I hate to bring up the tired “china carbon is cheaper” trope. But a replacement rim from Light Bicycle is about $300. If you pay $900 for the wheelset, you’d have to break 3 rims to start losing money. MTB? Sure. Road? Eh.

I’d say the peace of mind is the biggest selling point of these wheels.
Old 07-07-20, 10:40 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
They started making mountain rims, with the pricepoints being $1500 for DT Swiss hubs and $1800 for I9 (and then a Chris King version that I think Chris King makes in Portland for $2100), and included one 700C hooked rim version for their Stigmata. The rims (and King hubs) have a lifetime warranty, so with Enve being the only other significant competitor, these were a pretty good deal. (They also sell the rims for $600 each.) These are non-areo rims, and from what I have been able to see, are extremely well-constructed. I tried to take a peak at the Santa Cruz plant yesterday while on a ride, to see what the road rims looked like (assuming they had them on display), but there were a bunch of people there and I was feeling a bit virus-paranoid.

Now it looks like they have expanded to road in collaboration with Cervelo. (Cervelo is owned by the same parent company, and they assemble Cervelo bikes in their same Santa Cruz plant.) They seem to have expanded the pricetag, too, so that they are only marginally less expensive than their main competitor.