Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What unnecessary comfort do you bring on tour with you?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What unnecessary comfort do you bring on tour with you?

Old 09-18-09, 08:17 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a pretty uke. I've been playing ukelele occasionally since I was a kid. That's a good idea, but I'm more intrigued by the mandolin at this point. How easily can one adjust to an instrument tuned in fifths?
Old 09-18-09, 10:33 AM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Real flatware.
I like to eat with proper utensils, not flimsy plastic.
Old 09-18-09, 11:06 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
That's a pretty uke. I've been playing ukelele occasionally since I was a kid. That's a good idea, but I'm more intrigued by the mandolin at this point. How easily can one adjust to an instrument tuned in fifths?
You can tune a mandolin an octave above the top four strings of a guitar (d,g,b,e)

Check here for alternative mandolin tunings and string gauges:
https://www.mandolin-player.com/instr...n/tunings.html

the 'alto guitar' and 'renaissance guitar' tunings look interesting aswell as the hawaiian mandolin tuning

Last edited by imi; 09-18-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-18-09, 02:56 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
You can tune a mandolin an octave above the top four strings of a guitar (d,g,b,e)

Check here for alternative mandolin tunings and string gauges:
https://www.mandolin-player.com/instr...n/tunings.html

the 'alto guitar' and 'renaissance guitar' tunings look interesting aswell as the hawaiian mandolin tuning
Although you can do so, if you play guitar all the rest of the time, most people I have met that play both, tell me they get used to the differences between instruments fairly quickly. Alternate tunings also make it difficult to learn music specifically designed for the instrument in question.
Old 09-19-09, 02:45 AM
aenlaasu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my unnecessary comfort is my siberian husky. I trained him up for our first overnight tour this year, though circumstances have kept us from doing it. He's great company on my longer rides and I miss him when he's not happily jogging along beside me. It's worth the extra effort of a pound or so dog food and extra water.
Old 09-19-09, 08:14 AM
Robert Frost
whoa

Bikes: 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry WAY more stuff than is neccessary. It's a bit sad but hey, it's my funeral. Current weighty and needless items: camera equipment including tripod, gameboy color and cartridges (what can I say, I'll always be a child), too many books, laptop, more socks then I pribably need.
Old 09-19-09, 02:06 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Frost
gameboy color and cartridges
Wow thats a new one. I've never seen anyone carry one of those on tour.
Old 09-19-09, 04:19 PM
positron

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my shortwave radio.

Sometimes a Very Low Frequency receiver circuit if I'm going to be far away from the electrical grid and want to listen to and record the sounds that space makes
Old 09-20-09, 01:18 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Books. I'll bring one on an overnight, and have brought two on longer trips.

Heavy wool socks, even on a summer tour. Also three sets of them.

A travel pillow.

Old 09-20-09, 02:09 AM
Robert Frost
whoa

Bikes: 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Wow thats a new one. I've never seen anyone carry one of those on tour.
Haha! Well, we've been on the road for a month with two more ahead of us and it's my most portable music platform.

Now that I think about it, we carry way too many books. We currently have around 11 or 12 books with us - a mobile library! Luckily, we're two so we can spread the weight.
Old 09-20-09, 07:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Frost
Haha! Well, we've been on the road for a month with two more ahead of us and it's my most portable music platform.

Now that I think about it, we carry way too many books. We currently have around 11 or 12 books with us - a mobile library! Luckily, we're two so we can spread the weight.
That's why I like audio books. A dozen audio books weigh exactly nothing if you are taking the device to play them any way. On my last tour I took enough books to last for a couple months in my Ipod Shuffle which weighs less than an ounce. The charger I found on line somewhere also weighs about an ounce.

Since my employer supplied me with a Blackberry. The phone, audio books, GPS, and palm sized WiFi tablet have all been replaced with one device. Also it will charge from the one ounce charger mentioned above. I can download new ones along the way although it is extremely slow unless I find a WiFi connection rather than use the cell connection.

Books are pretty heavy. Do you travel somewhere you can't buy books along the way? On the TA we used paper books, but used the free book swaps we found along the way, traded books between us, mailed books home, and bought books along the way.

For music, I either sing or play music in my head.
Old 09-20-09, 01:05 PM
vegipowrd
Lifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I've always wanted a guitar with me but it's too bulky and heavy. I'm thinking of taking up the mandolin.
I would always carry one of these back when I was a backpacking instructor. They sound quite good, they're just quiet. I even fell on mine once. It got a good crack in the body, but sounds just the same. They are under $200 and come with a decent soft case.
Old 09-20-09, 05:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Books are pretty heavy. Do you travel somewhere you can't buy books along the way? On the TA we used paper books, but used the free book swaps we found along the way, traded books between us, mailed books home, and bought books along the way.

When I toured Australia, I stayed in one area for about 5 days, so I picked up a book at a used book places, and then sold it back to the place and got the next one ... and went through 3 books, I believe, in those 5 days that way.

If I wanted books with me and was on the move, I'd do the same thing, only I'd sell it back to the next shop up the road.
Old 09-20-09, 09:37 PM
ggriffinslo
SLOGeorge

Bikes: Bridgstone X0-1, & RBT; Miyata 1000, 618 & 615

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting to read what people think is luxurious- pillows, music players, books. Many of us would no sooner leave without those than w/o a bike.

For me the kitchen kit is indispensable. I carry a good knife, a couple of large nesting pots, flexible cutting board, coffee kit, and never, ever, worry or complain about the weight and volume of it nor the fresh veggies and fruit I carry. I generally cook most (90%) of my touring meals, it's worth it to me.
Old 09-21-09, 02:22 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
>When I toured Australia, I stayed in one area for about 5 days, so I picked up a book at a used book places, and then sold it back to the place and got the next one ... and went through 3 books, I believe, in those 5 days that way.

"Book exchanges" are starting to become common in youth hostels around the world - thank dutch frugality for that one I only used them a couple of times, but you find some pretty interesting, if rather kooky, books in them...
Old 09-21-09, 10:51 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't been on a solo unsupported tour (yet) but I've taken my Amazon Kindle along on three week-long supported group tours. With the wireless turned off it will last a week easily without recharging. It's nice to have essentially unlimited reading materials along in a nice lightweight package. And if you're not totally out in the boonies you can download more books and periodicals from wherever you are without needing to hook up to a computer.
Old 09-21-09, 12:05 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiking shoes, inflatable sleeping pad, i-pod, one book.

Hiking shoes take up a lot of space, but I very much enjoyed being able to slip into non-cycling shoes and comfortably hike around the areas I camped at. Plus, they're waterproof - perfect for rainy days at camp. The sleeping pad I was up in the air on, felt kinda wussy about it, but after two weeks on the road - I was very happy I brought one. There were some very rough gravel tentpads at a few of the campgrounds, and it was nice to not worry so much about roots sticking up, etc. I-pod - meh, coulda left it at home. Same with the book.
Old 09-21-09, 12:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
For those considering a mandolin, ukulele or some form of (miniaturized?) guitar...

My instrument of choice is a double bass, but I wouldn't bring one on tour. I'd bring a harmonica.

If you're primarily a picker, I think a mandolin is the best of those options; it has good range and enough oomph that you can actually use it in a jam session if you run into another player. All the other not-quite-a-guitar options, especially a ukulele tuned like a guitar, are just too anemic for my taste.

If you're primarily a singer, and you really need something to strum while you sing, then a ukulele (tuned like a ukulele) may be a decent option; it's loud enough and rhythmic enough to do the job, but you'll still miss the bass.

Then again, if you're primarily a singer, I'd suggest the bike tour is a good time to practice singing without strumming.
Old 09-21-09, 06:38 PM
littleal
littleal

Location: Pedalling past the rice paddies in the land of the not so morning calm!!!

Bikes: TREK 820,AB Tadpole,Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a small soft sided 6 pack size cooler. Fill it up with ice at a service station during the day and maybe before finding a camp site in the evening! It's great having a cold drink instead of lukewarm.It rides fine on top of my front rack.
Old 09-21-09, 10:35 PM
Boondock
afoot and lighthearted

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950, Trek 1220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
For those considering a mandolin, ukulele or some form of (miniaturized?) guitar...

My instrument of choice is a double bass, but I wouldn't bring one on tour. I'd bring a harmonica.

If you're primarily a picker, I think a mandolin is the best of those options; it has good range and enough oomph that you can actually use it in a jam session if you run into another player. All the other not-quite-a-guitar options, especially a ukulele tuned like a guitar, are just too anemic for my taste.

If you're primarily a singer, and you really need something to strum while you sing, then a ukulele (tuned like a ukulele) may be a decent option; it's loud enough and rhythmic enough to do the job, but you'll still miss the bass.

Then again, if you're primarily a singer, I'd suggest the bike tour is a good time to practice singing without strumming.

The standard tuning of a ukulele is the same as a guitar. There is no special guitar tunings for ukulele.
Old 09-22-09, 07:51 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
My instrument of choice is a double bass, but I wouldn't bring one on tour.
I mentioned this earlier in a related thread: I used to play the piano. I have a grand piano, so it does have wheels though...

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 09-22-09, 08:36 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have brought a folding chair on tour and once brought telemark skis and ski boots to hang out in the snow for a couple days, that was a hoot of a tour!

bike and ski

-but my comforts usually consist of some thin and thoughtful book, a small pocket radio with weatherband, and a sink stopper for doing laundry.

Last edited by Bekologist; 09-22-09 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 09:08 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtwilson
Hiking shoes, inflatable sleeping pad, i-pod, one book.
The sleeping pad I was up in the air on, felt kinda wussy about it, but after two weeks on the road - I was very happy I brought one. There were some very rough gravel tentpads at a few of the campgrounds, and it was nice to not worry so much about roots sticking up, etc.
Amazing, you really considered camping without a sleeping mat at all? Is the grass really that soft? Me, I use an exped downmat. The biggest downside is I get so lazy about my tent sites now - this weekend I camped literally on the road (or rail trail) both nights. Because you can.
Old 09-23-09, 05:45 AM
locky63red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant go without my small camping Pillow. I also carry a soft sided 6 pack esky in the summer.You have to carry water so you carry it as ice and you can have cold drinks and keep things cold at the same time. Some nice thick socks to wear in bed in the wintertime. Like Machka if I have a lousy sleep I do not have a good day the next day. Stevage I would like to just camp sans tent but I always get worried about spiders getting me (My major phobia)
Old 09-23-09, 07:50 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Book(s), camera and gorrilapod, and an iPod. Pad and paper for taking journal notes (most the day's mileage) or writing directions.

My bands:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.