Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some ask, "Why a trike?"

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Some ask, "Why a trike?"

Old 01-05-20, 06:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Some ask, "Why a trike?"

Some ask why a trike? Unless you have ridden one you really dont understand. Of course if you value your self as some kind of a racer boy you dont care. However for those of us that ride for fun and exercise will find that riding a trike is the most relaxed way of cycling.

Of course you dont have to worry about tipping over. You dont wobble all over trying to get going and clipped in. You can clip in and ride for hours until you want to stop and get off. You set laid back and have full view of where you are riding. Your lungs are not compress from being hunch over. You simply get all the pluses of cycling without any of the negatives.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-05-20, 06:56 AM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I wish I had one. On my last commute to work, I hit some snow and wiped out. Now I’m sitting here with pulled muscles and large bruises. Never would have happened if I had ridden a trike. They look like a lot of fun!
Old 01-05-20, 07:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,313 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some ask why a trike? Unless you have ridden one you really dont understand. Of course if you value your self as some kind of a racer boy you dont care. However for those of us that ride for fun and exercise will find that riding a trike is the most relaxed way of cycling.

Of course you dont have to worry about tipping over. You dont wobble all over trying to get going and clipped in. You can clip in and ride for hours until you want to stop and get off. You set laid back and have full view of where you are riding. Your lungs are not compress from being hunch over. You simply get all the pluses of cycling without any of the negatives.
Riding for fun and exercise? What a novel idea, I'll have to try it! Timely post for the New Year, we are all older and closer to the age when, like OP, our mental and physical abilities will have declined to the extent we can no longer ride bikes. Good to know trikes will be an option!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-05-20, 07:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I wish I had one. On my last commute to work, I hit some snow and wiped out. Now I’m sitting here with pulled muscles and large bruises. Never would have happened if I had ridden a trike. They look like a lot of fun!
Or studded tires.
Old 01-05-20, 07:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Riding for fun and exercise? What a novel idea, I'll have to try it! Timely post for the New Year, we are all older and closer to the age when, like OP, our mental and physical abilities will have declined to the extent we can no longer ride bikes. Good to know trikes will be an option!
Note however on the side bar I still have and ride a recumbent bike. I am one of the very fortunate persons that have had very little decline in either physical or mental abilities, even tho I am 81. I ride anywhere from 20 to 35 mile every other day.

I do like the advantages the trike has, the ease of riding it in town. OTOH the bike goes out of town where there are few stops.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-05-20 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-05-20, 07:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I am one of the very fortunate persons that have had very little decline in either physical or mental abilities, even tho I am 81.
Good to hear
Old 01-05-20, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,281 Times in 7,225 Posts
I ride my upright bike around the 5th most populous city in the U.S. with ease.
Old 01-05-20, 08:07 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In just a mid-size city here, but with awful roads and traffic, and at 68 -- with some on-going health issues -- I have no trouble riding my upright bike in town or out of town -- or my upright mtb on singletrack, for that matter.

I don't worry about falling over. I use clipless pedals, but don't wobble trying to clip in. I can clip in and ride for as long as I want before stopping. I am not hunched over, my lungs aren't compressed, and I have a great view of my surroundings. What am I doing wrong?
Likes For badger1:
Old 01-05-20, 08:16 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Pic of the trike pretty please.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-05-20, 08:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

But do you use clipless pedals? Do you wobble around some getting started. With a trike you have none of that nuisance. When riding do you sometimes just stare at your front wheel?
Old 01-05-20, 08:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

But surely you aren't riding for fun and exercise. Racer boy....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-05-20, 08:26 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Just how much does that trike weigh? I assume you have a cart or basket set up for utility? How many smiles per mile?
Old 01-05-20, 09:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I would worry about being visible on the street since I mostly commute. I know they have masts and streamers for added visible height, and as you can see from my avatar, I'm big into lights and reflectors but still, I'd worrry more.

I've tried a couple of recumbent trikes. Very comfortable. They feel more like co-carts than bikes, which isn't necessarily bad. I especially liked the one with the 26" rear wheel...something about it felt familiar.

One issue is climbing hills. You can't really stand on the pedals, so sitting and spinning in an extra low gear is the way to do it. But at 58, I do more sitting and spinning than standing and mashing now anyways, so I guess that's not an issue. Also, my hands have been growing more "crampy" since my mid 40s and taking all weight off my hands may be necessary in the future. Plus, while I have no kneck problems at the present time, x-rays seem to indicate that may be on the horizon as well.

One of my older buddies has been off diamond frames for many years now. First a Bike-E which is technically crank-forward, and then some sort of cat-trike folder.

So while I would prefer a conventional bicycle, I would still be happy if a recumbent trike is the only option to allow me to go kicking and screaming into that good night.
Old 01-05-20, 09:11 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I just can't imagine doing a long distance gravel ride, or a 100 mile century on a trike...or how are you supposed you ride a trike on technical simgletrack trails ??….a trike would be impossible to ride at some of the places that I go riding... Trikes are impractical for commuting or recreational riding.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-06-20 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Removed insulting wording
Old 01-05-20, 09:14 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
I would not be comfortable on a trike where I live. Virtually all the roads I ride have no bike lane and less than one foot of shoulder and mostly none. I just would not feel safe taking up that much of the lane. Besides that, I love leaning into a curve and I don't have problems wobbling.

Perhaps there will come a day when I am no longer comfortable on two wheels and may feel differently but for now, I'm happy.
Old 01-05-20, 09:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
But do you use clipless pedals? Do you wobble around some getting started.
Yes to the former, no to the latter.
Old 01-05-20, 10:02 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
how is it transporting trikes and bents?
Old 01-05-20, 10:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
But do you use clipless pedals? Do you wobble around some getting started. With a trike you have none of that nuisance. When riding do you sometimes just stare at your front wheel?
I don’t, and I’m generally considered a low-skill rider. Clip in right pedal, strong pedal stroke, clip in left while coasting, and I’m good. And I’m always looking ahead or around, unless checking my front wheel after hitting something. The road bicycle is a wonderful piece of equipment for those who can ride it properly.

I’m glad you’re happy with your trike though!
Old 01-05-20, 10:32 AM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
My wife has a terra trike. She never (or hardly ever ) rode her diamond frame bike. She got on the trike at the dealer and riding around the parking lot had a great big smile on her face. It hasn't left it yet as she rides her trike. She had a problem falling over when she stopped as her knee kept giving out on her. Now she does not have to worry about that. She is almost as fast on her trike as the other bike, as she is not into doing speed.

Her trike weighs 41 #. it is slow going up hill, but will make up for it going down when she lets it roll. I am glad she has disc brakes on it or she would have already worn out the pads. No speed demon on her side of the path.
Old 01-05-20, 11:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
how is it transporting trikes and bents?
Takes some thought and planning. If you've already decided a trike is what you want, you'll find a way. If you've already decided that you don't want one, it's an insurmountable problem.

Before we bought our first trike for my wife, we drove her Saturn sedan to the bike shop and said: "If you can show my wife how she can load the trike by herself, we'll buy it." My wife happened to be in her late 60's at the time. They showed her how to do it, she practiced one time in the bike shop parking lot and we drove home with it.
Old 01-05-20, 11:57 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
You couldn’t ride a trike on tight back roads where I live. You would risk getting run over.
Old 01-05-20, 12:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,882 Times in 1,645 Posts
But do you use clipless pedals? Do you wobble around some getting started?
From what I've seen, riders of two-wheel recumbents, with or without clipless pedals, wobble around getting started far more than riders of diamond frame bikes. Surprised to see rydabent aligning himself against two-wheel bents here.
Old 01-05-20, 12:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I bought my trike because I knew I wouldn't be able to ride a regular bicycle for a while. That's why, and it’s a good reason. But I was glad when it was over.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-06-20 at 08:27 AM. Reason: apostrophe fix
Old 01-05-20, 12:19 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I got nuthin' against trike riders. It's their choice to ride what they want.

I'm no "racer boy", but I prefer two wheels. Because I like to lean into a turn, because I like a single track to fit through tight spots, because I'm not forced to ride on the street, because of off camber roads/trails, because it's lighter and easier to hang from ceiling hooks, because it takes up less space in my garage that actually contains cars, because I only have to replace two tires, because I only have to true two wheels, because . . .

Last edited by FiftySix; 01-05-20 at 12:38 PM. Reason: glitches in the internet
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 01-05-20, 01:31 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I would worry about being visible on the street since I mostly commute. I know they have masts and streamers for added visible height, and as you can see from my avatar, I'm big into lights and reflectors but still, I'd worrry more.
snip
Someone demolished the visibility argument by pointing out that motorists have no trouble spotting small animals or potentially hazardous trash along the side of the road. Our vision fixes on things that are unexpected or out of place, provided we're looking at the road and not a phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.