Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What crank is this?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What crank is this?

Old 06-19-20, 07:14 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
What crank is this?

My best friend, Doug, is passing on his dad's bicycle, to his son. The bike was made by a one man shop in Palo Alto in 1970's, but Doug doesn't remember the name. His son rode the bike around Bay Area and riders there recognized the bike maker, but that was years ago. Doug's dad road this bike cross country several times.
We are striping down the bike for painting and rebuild.

The crank has me flummoxed. Standard crank pulling tool only threads in 2-3 threads. While I know about Stronglight (this is not marked as a stronglight) and then something called another less common size crank thread size, that uses a "TA" puller? I knew enough not to try and pull the crank with a barely seated puller.
Does anyone know what this crank is? There are minimal makings. Rings large ring is engraved and made in France. The ring sizes are 26, 45, 52 (I have never seen that in a road bike either) The crank arm is a 5 sided arm.
What do I need to use to pull this baby? I don't have a TA puller (23.0) but if we need to get one, we will.
Thanks for your help.
Nubra

French engraving?

Inner ring stamped with "W" and 161

Amazing 26-48 jump in the chainring

Old 06-19-20, 07:28 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
TA Pro 5 Vis cranks, 50.4 bcd. Also known as TA "Cyclotouriste" cranks because, unlike the majority of cranks on the market, TA actually offered the rings in a large range of sizes, including small chainrings suitable for touring and long-distance riding. And they could easily be converted from single to double to triple plateu and back with the right rings and spacers/chainring bolts. You need a TA-specific puller. I would recommend buying a Stein puller.

New rings are available from TA, which is still around. Velo Orange and SunXCD also have replacement 50.4 bcd rings, but in more limited tooth counts. If you want to add the original TA decal that is long gone off your crank, high quality foil replacements are available from Cyclomondo in Australia.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 06-19-20 at 07:38 PM.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 06-19-20, 07:37 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
I have a spare Park CCP-1 puller that has a TA threaded side on it. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by jeirvine; 06-19-20 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 09:35 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubra
My best friend, Doug, is passing on his dad's bicycle, to his son. The bike was made by a one man shop in Palo Alto in 1970's, but Doug doesn't remember the name. His son rode the bike around Bay Area and riders there recognized the bike maker, but that was years ago. Doug's dad road this bike cross country several times.
We are striping down the bike for painting and rebuild.

The crank has me flummoxed. Standard crank pulling tool only threads in 2-3 threads. While I know about Stronglight (this is not marked as a stronglight) and then something called another less common size crank thread size, that uses a "TA" puller? I knew enough not to try and pull the crank with a barely seated puller.
Does anyone know what this crank is? There are minimal makings. Rings large ring is engraved and made in France. The ring sizes are 26, 45, 52 (I have never seen that in a road bike either) The crank arm is a 5 sided arm.
What do I need to use to pull this baby? I don't have a TA puller (23.0) but if we need to get one, we will.
Thanks for your help.
Nubra
You have a genuine "half-step plus granny" setup. The idea was that with a wide-range 5 or 6-speed freewheel the difference between the cogs would be too large to be comfortable. The small difference between the middle and large chainrings allowed for fine-tuning. The extra-small granny chainring allowed seated climbing on steep slopes with a touring load. Your set looks to be in really good shape aside from needing a good cleaning.

Peter White is one source for Spécialités TA Pro 5 Vis chainrings: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tach.php#pro5
Bikerecyclery has a few NOS items: DRIVETRAIN - Cranks - Chainrings - Page 1 - Bike Recyclery

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-20-20, 08:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Yes, definitely a TA crank, so get the TA puller.

Inner ring stamped with "W" and 161[/quote]

IIRC, "W" indicates English-thread pedal eyes. The number is "167.5" not 161, and refers to the arm length in millimeters.
Old 06-20-20, 10:12 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
TA pro bis 5 were Very popular for touring and tandems as you could get rings from 26 to 56
but they were one of the softest alloys ever used for crank arms. as far as I know it was the
only crank ever to come supplied with washers to fit between the pedal and crank so the pedal
wouldn't "gouge" to much when fully tight. I would fit some washers if I were to use these.
Old 06-20-20, 11:21 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
PM sent to jeirvine (assuming nubra declines the Park tool)
Old 06-20-20, 02:40 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Thanks a million John, Just ordered one.
Cheers!
Nubra
IIRC, "W" indicates English-thread pedal eyes. The number is "167.5" not 161, and refers to the arm length in millimeters.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-20-20, 02:42 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by jeirvine
I have a spare Park CCP-1 puller that has a TA threaded side on it. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks so much Jeirvine. Unfortunatly I ordered one from Ebay, USA maker, before I saw your post. Really appreciate!
Cheers,
Nubra

Likes For Nubra:
Old 06-20-20, 02:46 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by steve sumner
TA pro bis 5 were Very popular for touring and tandems as you could get rings from 26 to 56
but they were one of the softest alloys ever used for crank arms. as far as I know it was the
only crank ever to come supplied with washers to fit between the pedal and crank so the pedal
wouldn't "gouge" to much when fully tight. I would fit some washers if I were to use these.
Thanks Steve! DO you know if there are special washers and any idea where we can get some?
Cheers
Nubra

Old 06-20-20, 02:49 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
You have a genuine "half-step plus granny" setup. The idea was that with a wide-range 5 or 6-speed freewheel the difference between the cogs would be too large to be comfortable. The small difference between the middle and large chainrings allowed for fine-tuning. The extra-small granny chainring allowed seated climbing on steep slopes with a touring load. Your set looks to be in really good shape aside from needing a good cleaning.

Peter White is one source for Spécialités TA Pro 5 Vis chainrings: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tach.php#pro5
Bikerecyclery has a few NOS items: DRIVETRAIN - Cranks - Chainrings - Page 1 - Bike Recyclery
THANKS a million Jeff. Will check out the sites you mentioned. It seems that Dougs dad had a collection of rings, and routinely changed them depending on the type of ride he was going to do. Unfortunately, the spares and the tool were disappeared after his dad died. But this is a really sentimental project, and all the info youse guys are providing is fabulous. Cheers, Nubra

Likes For Nubra:
Old 06-20-20, 03:01 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Just want to say thats my favorite crank of all time. Many similar but few as versatile or with as narrow a q factor.
Old 06-20-20, 03:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Nubra

I have had several Stronglight and TA cranks over the years that had what I believe to be kludged threads from the wrong thread being used, the two are so close that many butchers seem to force one on the other.

I have a Stronglight on a PX-10 that had ended up being TA threads.

I always inspect and clean them including chasing the threads with a right angle pick before installing the tool.

This one seemed ok but neither tool would thread in well.

I will always try to restore them to original but on this one it would have compromised them too much.

The Stronglight tool worked much better and pulled the crank just fine once I got the threads clean and straightened out.

In the end, depending on tool variances and what the threads have been subjected to, you may have to compromise in some way.

Patience is key, I don't hesitate to use anti-seize and make sure the threads on the puller are smooth so they don't run afoul in the process for being rough or jagged.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-20-20, 04:02 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Those Park CCP-1 pullers were standard equipment in every bike shop I worked in. It's funny because when I started the 'French' (TA 23.0) side got used pretty often. As time went on it became less and less frequent. By the time I quit, must have used it a couple or 3 times a year maybe. Must be a few of those fullers floating around still.

OP: Pedal washers are pretty widely available. You don't need anything special. A few online retailers carry them: Ben's Cycle, Rivendell, etc.

Those cranks are not anodized, so with enough elbow grease and metal polish, they'll look like chrome.
Old 06-20-20, 08:02 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Those Park CCP-1 pullers were standard equipment in every bike shop I worked in. It's funny because when I started the 'French' (TA 23.0) side got used pretty often. As time went on it became less and less frequent. By the time I quit, must have used it a couple or 3 times a year maybe. Must be a few of those fullers floating around still.

OP: Pedal washers are pretty widely available. You don't need anything special. A few online retailers carry them: Ben's Cycle, Rivendell, etc.

Those cranks are not anodized, so with enough elbow grease and metal polish, they'll look like chrome.
Thanks Salamandrine! Not a single shop that I contacted had a TA puller. I know from about 2 months back that they didn't have Stronglights.

Old 06-20-20, 08:06 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by merziac
Nubra

In the end, depending on tool variances and what the threads have been subjected to, you may have to compromise in some way.

Patience is key, I don't hesitate to use anti-seize and make sure the threads on the puller are smooth so they don't run afoul in the process for being rough or jagged.
Thanks, Merziac!
I would not have thought about using ante-seize. I will now have both Stronglight and TA pullers and good thing, since I am running into them more often with my bike scavenging.
Cheers!

Likes For Nubra:
Old 06-20-20, 08:08 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Just want to say thats my favorite crank of all time. Many similar but few as versatile or with as narrow a q factor.
Doug's son will be very happy to hear that! Many Thanks 52 thanks to be exact!
Cheers,
Nubra

Likes For Nubra:
Old 06-20-20, 10:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thanks, Merziac!
I would not have thought about using ante-seize. I will now have both Stronglight and TA pullers and good thing, since I am running into them more often with my bike scavenging.
Cheers!
You're welcome, you still need to be careful as the anti seize can also go the wrong way if the threads are that messed up, that's why I hand chase with the pick anytime they are compromised, same for BB's but I have dedicated chasers I made for that. I plan to make chasers for the puller threads but haven't got there yet so the pick is used for that.
Old 06-21-20, 04:56 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Velo Orange sell these pedal washers, bless 'em... https://velo-orange.com/products/ped...89ac91b5&_ss=r

Thanks Steve! DO you know if there are special washers and any idea where we can get some?
Cheers
Nubra
Old 06-21-20, 09:52 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Nubra, please post photos of the complete bike -- I'm sure that someone here can identify the framebuilder; and even if they can't we like to see such work.
Old 06-22-20, 10:45 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Nubra, please post photos of the complete bike -- I'm sure that someone here can identify the framebuilder; and even if they can't we like to see such work.
Hey Charles,
I will try to get some photos on board soon. There is no headbadge and no distinctive marks anywhere on the frame, that I can see anyway.
Cheers

Old 06-22-20, 10:51 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by merziac
Nubra

I have had several Stronglight and TA cranks over the years that had what I believe to be kludged threads from the wrong thread being used, the two are so close that many butchers seem to force one on the other.

I will always try to restore them to original but on this one it would have compromised them too much.

The Stronglight tool worked much better and pulled the crank just fine once I got the threads clean and straightened out.

I now have both a TA and Stronglight puller and guess what, neither one will fit in. On close inspection it looks like someone has forced a standard puller on these cranks. OH NO! Yep, that is why I was able to thread in a standard puller for about 2 threads before meeting strong resistance. I did not force the standard puller at all, so I know it wasn't me.
Is there anyway to chase these threads? Make them whole again? What kind of "compromise" can I make? It looks like about half of the threads are saved, deep in the crank, but I don't know if this is salvageable. Any suggestions?

Old 06-22-20, 10:59 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

IIRC, "W" indicates English-thread pedal eyes. The number is "167.5" not 161, and refers to the arm length in millimeters.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
TA Pro 5 Vis cranks, 50.4 bcd. Also known as TA "Cyclotouriste" cranks because, unlike the majority of cranks on the market, TA actually offered the rings in a large range of sizes, including small chainrings suitable for touring and long-distance riding. And they could easily be converted from single to double to triple plateu and back with the right rings and spacers/chainring bolts. You need a TA-specific puller. I would recommend buying a Stein puller.

New rings are available from TA, which is still around. Velo Orange and SunXCD also have replacement 50.4 bcd rings, but in more limited tooth counts. If you want to add the original TA decal that is long gone off your crank, high quality foil replacements are available from Cyclomondo in Australia.
Hey John and Ten Grain,
Turns out that my cranks have been compromised. I now have brand new TA and Stronglight pullers and they don't fit! Seems that someone must have tried to force a standard crank puller on the crank. That would explain why I can get a standard puller in about 2-3 threads and then hit a hard stop. On close inspection, I can see intact finer threading about 1/2 way into the threads of the crank. Do you guys know of a thread chaser that can help me restore the old threads, or are these cranks now trashed? This restoration is not a "no holds barred" thing and funds are somewhat limited.
THANKS
Nubra

Old 06-23-20, 01:31 AM
merziac

I now have both a TA and Stronglight puller and guess what, neither one will fit in. On close inspection it looks like someone has forced a standard puller on these cranks. OH NO! Yep, that is why I was able to thread in a standard puller for about 2 threads before meeting strong resistance. I did not force the standard puller at all, so I know it wasn't me.
Is there anyway to chase these threads? Make them whole again? What kind of "compromise" can I make? It looks like about half of the threads are saved, deep in the crank, but I don't know if this is salvageable. Any suggestions?
Sent you a PM, never seen a chaser for these but you can make one now that you have the puller.

You will need one of these for my method and I will walk you through this if you want.

A Dremel with a small cutoff wheel works best to make the slots for the chaser like the pedal spindle, they need to be sharp, a triangle file can be used too.

Old 06-23-20, 06:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Turns out that my cranks have been compromised. I now have brand new TA and Stronglight pullers and they don't fit! Seems that someone must have tried to force a standard crank puller on the crank. That would explain why I can get a standard puller in about 2-3 threads and then hit a hard stop. On close inspection, I can see intact finer threading about 1/2 way into the threads of the crank. Do you guys know of a thread chaser that can help me restore the old threads, or are these cranks now trashed? This restoration is not a "no holds barred" thing and funds are somewhat limited.
There are crank thread chasers for 22mm extractor thread, but I'm not aware of one for 23mm TA extractor thread. Some people claim to have made a thread chaser from a TA metal dustcap by grinding debris channels across the threads in a couple places, but I have not tried this myself. There are thread repair kits from VAR and Stein that cut fresh threads of a larger diameter into which a self-extractor bolt is threaded. The kits are expensive and probably too much for a one-off job, but perhaps a bike shop near you might already have the kit?

https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC115021/...tractor-system
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
var-crank-repair.jpg (132.4 KB, 85 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.