Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Using a BOB trailer

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Using a BOB trailer

Old 02-21-06, 04:33 PM
Abbey

Bikes: Giant MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using a BOB trailer

I'm planning my first long trip and I'm considering purchasing a "BOB" trailer. I'm attaching it to a Giant NRS full suspension MTB. I've given up on racks and paniers as I pack too much crap. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience dragging a trailer on a trip. Thanks.
Old 02-21-06, 05:56 PM
amaferanga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what makes you think you'll take less with a trailer? Learning what to take and what not to take is the answer to your problems, not buying a BOB!
Old 02-21-06, 06:34 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've hauled a BOB behind a full suspension bike along some pretty rough primitive roads. No problem. Takes a couple miles to get used to the handling, but after that, no problem.
Old 02-21-06, 08:05 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BOBs are great. I like to pack a lot too which is what you meant. I used it on several tours but the longest was 8000 miles in Australia. Never a problem. After 8000 miles I switched to panniers thinking I would save weight. Immediately regretted it due to more surface area for the wind to hit and started breaking spokes. I did a lot of dirt roads but no single track. Carry a spare skewer and bearing cartridges. I never broke my skewer but a friend did. The folks at BOB told me that the bearings could last years or a 1000 miles so I opted to carry extras.
Old 02-21-06, 08:29 PM
sscyco
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The BOB tows well for touring and - Ditto on the skewer.
Old 02-21-06, 10:04 PM
locky63red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant NRS 3 and a BOB Ibex Trailer. I have done a couple of tours with it and no problems.I carry a spare skewer as well. I could not afford a dedicted touring bike so I had to compromise a moutain bike and a BOB ibex. I am extremly happy with the way it performs. I have not had any dramas with this set up yet. I am about a month away from doing the bottom two thirds of the Mawson Trail in South Australia. I would not change to panniers now f I had the spare cash . It takes a little practice to pack the BOB bag and find everything. A tip is to buy different colour stuff bags and this makes things easier to find. I carry a little light collapsible bag tucked under the occy strap and use this to put stuff in if I buy it on the way through a town I then put it away when I camp for the night. This saves opening and shutting the bag more than necccessary. It might not be the 'purists' way of touring .But "hey" it gets me out there and doing it which is what cycling is all about.
Old 02-21-06, 10:18 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locky63red, I am a jealous man right now. I didn't do the Mawson trail when I was in Oz. I did do the Snowy river area between Buchan and Jindabyne and that was fantastic. Spent about 3 days camping in the same spot.

You also brought up a good point. I like a big bag compared to four because it's all right there in one spot. Instead of having to unload the tent and bag from the top of the rack to access your rear panniers. My memory isn't the greatest so whatever I was looking for was usually in the last pannier.
Old 02-21-06, 11:57 PM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the OP just means that he likes to take a lot of stuff. In which case, trailers are great, specifically BOB's. I just hope you don't come across many stairs on your tour.
Old 02-22-06, 01:01 PM
frostypolarbear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a Bob for the TransAmerica last summer, so it was with a racing bike, not a mountain bike. It worked out great!! Definitely cuts down on wind resistant...the reason I believe this is because we toured with some friends who have panniers and the differences in how we rode were remarkable. You don't need fancy stuff sacks to store things in, just buy some plastic Ziploc bags and suck all the air out before you seal them...this really cuts down on space in the Bob bag. I can't compare bob to panniers because I've never had them and probably will not have them until I get a different bike...my bike probably wouldn't appreciate it.
Old 02-22-06, 05:44 PM
onthemove
Touring is a must

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a mountain bike (specialized rockhopper) with a bob. I also tried panniers on a few trip and didn't see any big advantages to date. With the bob and a few bungy cords, you can always add some treasure found along the way. It also makes for a good drying rack!
Old 02-22-06, 08:01 PM
chris76
Journey On

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I've given up on racks and paniers as I pack too much crap." Taking a bob trailer is only going to exasterbate your problem with taking to much stuff. You think panniers can hold alot, wait until you open up a 8000 cu in, bag and start stuffing. Four years ago, I did a late tour through the rockies carring 110 lbs of cold weather gear and water adn believe me when I say you can stuff and stuff. What doesn't fit in the bag can always be strapped to the top. You really have to watch yourself. But overall, a bob trailer is a great way to go, the only hassle is when traveling, one more large item to deal with.
chris
Old 02-22-06, 08:54 PM
Abbey

Bikes: Giant MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I placed my order today for the BOB Ibex.

Abbey